Coil bulb blindness

WHAT COIL BULB CAUSES BLINDNESS:confused:

"That report was written in the second half of 2007, with updates made regularly until April 2008. We continue to hear of very small numbers of cases but fortunately, owing to the positive efforts of most of the companies whose products were involved, lamps causing these problems have been replaced by re-formulated products which don't emit abnormally short-wavelength UVB radiation. However there are still small numbers of "old stock" of certain products on sale in some areas, and there is always the possibility that a new untested product may be introduced and found to cause problems."

Now with that said I use coil bulbs on all of my chameleon enclosures, with the exception of my stenfeldi and tenuis to which I am experimenting with Metal Halide lighting. I have NEVER in the last 5 years had an issue with photo-kerato-conjunctivitis. My reccomendation would be to keep and UV Meter handy and test it often. That will tell you if you have any abnormal issues with a bulb.

you're using Halides on your cages or Free Range? If so what wattages? They would seem to get some unnecessary heat unless you lived in the tundra.

you're using Halides on your cages or Free Range? If so what wattages? They would seem to get some unnecessary heat unless you lived in the tundra.

The tenuis and sternfeldi that I keep at home are kept in a separate room in my basement where they are not free rangeing so to speak but are in very very large cages, So I light to room with several 250 wat metal halides to provide their UV source as well as a nice amount of heat. You could say I live in the tundra though, Minnesota feels as though it could be called that. The basement is absolutly freezing all winter. Plus I cannot even believe the amount of stimulation I have gotten out of the chams by doing this. They seem way more active, eat way more, and at least the sternfeldi seem to want to breed more. I have the metal halides set on a reef simulation unit modified to go with the tanaznian day/night cycles so I personally think its one of the more natural lighting sources in regards to color and wavelength. And my room stays at a constant 68-72 near the top of the room and a constant 63 to 68 at the bottom which is always where they will be sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom