Coccidia... Help and cleaning advice. Please..

You got this Becca! And just remember you're knowledge in this being involved first hand in it will go unmatched. After you're done dealing with this you will be our parasite expert and help so many people and so many chameleons after this is all said and done. Sucks it happened and happened to you of all people.... I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't give us anymore than he thinks we can handle. Apparently he thought you were strong enough and your chams of course too. Don't get me wrong it is beyond crappy that this happened to you and your chams and I wish it didn't. Poor little Bahari must've had a bad shipping experience or something?!
Thank you. I keep telling myself that I can do this lol especially when I feel like I can't. Not sure about parasite expert but coccidia maybe. I will be shouting to everyone from now on to get fecals done. lol

According to the Vet... It is anything that will cause stress that drops the immune system. So being put into a box and shipped. Moving cages. Redoing a cage. A change to their daily activities that would cause a disruption in what they are used to. A stress event lowers their immune system that then allows for the coccidia to thrive. It can also be an infection though that would lower the immune system like an RI. If they have coccidia it will then go crazy because the immune system is compromised by the RI.

Thank you. I keep telling myself that I can do this lol especially when I feel like I can't. Not sure about parasite expert but coccidia maybe. I will be shouting to everyone from now on to get fecals done. lol

According to the Vet... It is anything that will cause stress that drops the immune system. So being put into a box and shipped. Moving cages. Redoing a cage. A change to their daily activities that would cause a disruption in what they are used to. A stress event lowers their immune system that then allows for the coccidia to thrive. It can also be an infection though that would lower the immune system like an RI. If they have coccidia it will then go crazy because the immune system is compromised by the RI.
I will say that you taught me how important it is to QT a new chameleon. I just brought Jellybean in and put him right next to Tye without getting a fecal on him first or even thinking anything of it. I also got my boys fecals tested as a precaution because of your post. They came back negative. Which I'm relieved about but also feel slightly bad about because I know what you're going through right now. Just know you're not alone and we love you Becca!

I will say that you taught me how important it is to QT a new chameleon. I just brought Jellybean in and put him right next to Tye without getting a fecal on him first or even thinking anything of it. I also got my boys fecals tested as a precaution because of your post. They came back negative. Which I'm relieved about but also feel slightly bad about because I know what you're going through right now. Just know you're not alone and we love you Becca!
Thank you Jeremy. I am very happy to hear that your boys are clear. I don't think we realize the potential for bringing something like this in. I know I had never thought of it. I never thought of doing a quarantine. This is where me being newer comes in. I am still learning. I just hope my experience will help others learn. I would hate for anyone to go through this.

Thank you Jeremy. I am very happy to hear that your boys are clear. I don't think we realize the potential for bringing something like this in. I know I had never thought of it. I never thought of doing a quarantine. This is where me being newer comes in. I am still learning. I just hope my experience will help others learn. I would hate for anyone to go through this.
And I'm right there with you. I still can't figure out male or female Panthers @ ages 4 months or less. And that's coming from a guy who loves butts lol. It just goes to show you that anything and everything can happen = Murphys Law.

You got this Becca! And just remember you're knowledge in this being involved first hand in it will go unmatched. After you're done dealing with this you will be our parasite expert and help so many people and so many chameleons after this is all said and done. Sucks it happened and happened to you of all people.... I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't give us anymore than he thinks we can handle. Apparently he thought you were strong enough and your chams of course too. Don't get me wrong it is beyond crappy that this happened to you and your chams and I wish it didn't. Poor little Bahari must've had a bad shipping experience or something?!

This is like the third or fourth coccidia case I've seen on these forums, I think jox and janjan have had them too, along with maybe one other? Wonder if there is some sort of cricket contamination somewhere.

A bad shipping experience wouldn't just cause coccidia like this, but it could exacerbate the issue. The fact the animal has been like this since early on and the stunted size says to me that it's been going on for a little while.

This is like the third or fourth coccidia case I've seen on these forums, I think jox and janjan have had them too, along with maybe one other? Wonder if there is some sort of cricket contamination somewhere.

A bad shipping experience wouldn't just cause coccidia like this, but it could exacerbate the issue. The fact the animal has been like this since early on and the stunted size says to me that it's been going on for a little while.
Funny you say that b4 when I feed crickets the store I bought from told me about a outbreak on the crickets getting animals sick and having to stop selling them for awhile

They said ever once in awhile cricket shipments will be infested with bacteria and parasites. Why I stopped feeding crickets hella scared me when they told me this

Funny you say that b4 when I feed crickets the store I bought from told me about a outbreak on the crickets getting animals sick and having to stop selling them for awhile

They said ever once in awhile cricket shipments will be infested with bacteria and parasites. Why I stopped feeding crickets hella scared me when they told me this
My Vet told me with Beman at his 1 year check up that since I do not feed crickets that I only need to do fecals once a year. I had asked her what she recommends for people that do feed crickets and she said every 6 months to have a fecal done.

Your going to have to reapply alot. If it isn't bubbling it isn't killing. Once it stops bubbling it's just acidic water. So for 30 mins, reapply after the bubbling stops.
Yeah that is what I did... I should have gotten a pressurized spray bottle though. I am glad I bought a gallon but I will need to order more to get through all the cleanings that I have in the coming month or months...

I just don't see this as a cricket or feeder problem. If it was we would be seeing more than 3-4 cases on the forums IMO. I'm not saying they don't carry the parasites because they do. However, in this case I strongly feel and my gut tells me that shipping and cage transfer were the cause for the immune system drop and coccidia to take over. Too much stress for such a sweet boy. We know the carrier takes good care of the chams but after him we don't know what happens in shipping. I think the moral of the story here is to simply treat every chameleon entering our homes as if having the deadly parasite. That means QT for a month and fecals during this time.

I just don't see this as a cricket or feeder problem. If it was we would be seeing more than 3-4 cases on the forums IMO. I'm not saying they don't carry the parasites because they do. However, in this case I strongly feel and my gut tells me that shipping and cage transfer were the cause for the immune system drop and coccidia to take over. Too much stress for such a sweet boy. We know the carrier takes good care of the chams but after him we don't know what happens in shipping. I think the moral of the story here is to simply treat every chameleon entering our homes as if having the deadly parasite. That means QT for a month and fecals during this time.

Coccidia doesnt just pop out of the blue and thousands of reptiles are transported on a regular basis. Coccidia comes from wildcaughts and contaminated feeders that were around infected reptiles. So what I'm saying, the crickets that were fed prior to being shipped may have been affected, that or cross contamination from another sick animal. To sum it up, I dont think becca caused this problem because she doesn't feed crickets and her other chameleon is clean.

Ok then how did the parasites get inside him then? With the amount of coccidia in his fecal says it’s been there b4 shipment, yes shipment triggered it to go crazy because of the drop in the immune system.

Cage transfer is extremely unlikely since Beman came back negative a month ago.

I think what they are saying is that the coccidia was introduced via crickets, and then the stress from shipment and a new home/keeper made the immune system drop and let the coccidia run rampant. So a little bit of both your idea and the others.

Coccidia doesnt just pop out of the blue and thousands of reptiles are transported on a regular basis. Coccidia comes from wildcaughts and contaminated feeders that were around infected reptiles. So what I'm saying, the crickets that were fed prior to being shipped may have been affected, that or cross contamination from another sick animal. To sum it up, I dont think becca caused this problem because she doesn't feed crickets and her other chameleon is clean.
Ok then how did the parasites get inside him then? With the amount of coccidia in his fecal says it’s been there b4 shipment, yes shipment triggered it to go crazy because of the drop in the immune system.

Cage transfer is extremely unlikely since Beman came back negative a month ago.
I agree he already had the parasites prior to shipment. I'm not blaming Becca in the slightest. I'm simply stating the Coccidia became an issue after the life changes. I know Matt and I know he would never sell a knowingly sick chameleon to a member on these forums. Especially one whom is on here every single day. I do not blame anyone for what happened. I'm only trying to take from this a learning experience. As everyone should. As I think that's why Becca posted in the first place. So we could all learn from her.

I just got Beman's fecal results from the vet. I took one in on Monday. He is negative for coccidia thank god. But the vet says that it is still too early to know for sure. So he will have additional fecals moving forward. So at least as of right now I do not have to stress Beman being sick as well.

I agree he already had the parasites prior to shipment. I'm not blaming Becca in the slightest. I'm simply stating the Coccidia became an issue after the life changes. I know Matt and I know he would never sell a knowingly sick chameleon to a member on these forums. Especially one whom is on here every single day. I do not blame anyone for what happened. I'm only trying to take from this a learning experience. As everyone should. As I think that's why Becca posted in the first place. So we could all learn from her.

I'll keep my mouth shut about anything else. Feel free to PM me. Don't want to turn this thread into drama.

So much for this lol

Last edited:
I just got Beman's fecal results from the vet. I took one in on Monday. He is negative for coccidia thank god. But the vet says that it is still too early to know for sure. So he will have additional fecals moving forward. So at least as of right now I do not have to stress Beman being sick as well.

Glad Beman is clean, fingers crossed that he stays that way.

If crickets are fed moldy grain a toxin builds up in their system and the toxin, 'Aflatoxicosis' can kill chameleons that eat the crickets. This has nothing to do with parasites. The crickets would have to have been exposed to chameleon feces to transmit coccidia. Most species of coccidia in chameleons can only reproduce inside a chameleon.
Pet stores that sell chameleons are a very bad place to buy crickets or other similar feeders. The risk of exposure to infected feces is higher.

If crickets are fed moldy grain a toxin builds up in their system and the toxin, 'Aflatoxicosis' can kill chameleons that eat the crickets. This has nothing to do with parasites. The crickets would have to have been exposed to chameleon feces to transmit coccidia. Most species of coccidia in chameleons can only reproduce inside a chameleon.
Pet stores that sell chameleons are a very bad place to buy crickets or other similar feeders. The risk of exposure to infected feces is higher.
See without this thread I would've 1 never known crickets are such bad news bears. And 2 I would've never known to not cross contaminant feeders.

Becca without you even knowing you have taught me more in 1 week than I had learned the past 4 weeks about chameleons and keeping them. Of course our fellow members have helped tremendously but it goes to show you, "once you think you've learned everything, you've truly learned nothing"

Back
Top Bottom