closing 1 eye

WendyK8

I have a 11 month old sambava male who has been doing great since I got him last spring. over the past couple of days (mostly today) I started noticing that he keeps blinking and closing his left eye. It is open most of the time and when it is it appears bright and clear but when he is resting he closes it for periods at a time and when I was holding him he kept blinking it. I have not needed to take him to the vet yet and I do know of a good one in the area that I can go to if need be, I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas of what it could be. I am a vet tech but unfortunately where I work does not deal with any reptiles specifically. 1 other thing that may be important info is that up until now I have been using the aquazamp rain dome for misting, however the nozzle recently is not working well so I have been using a hand mister (trying not to ever mist him directly, although sometimes I think he does get a little wet) Im working w/ Kevin at the moment trying to resolve the issue but in the mean time im using the good ol hand mister. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thx!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 11 month old, male sambava, I've had him since he was 3m old
Handling - handle him on almost a daily basis 30min - an hr or so
Feeding - variety of crickets, dubias (gut loaded w/ repashy bug burger) and superworms
Supplements - dust the crix and dubias w/ repashy calcium plus either daily or every other day
Watering - up until a couple of weeks ago, aquazamp automatic mistings every few hrs for about 1 min (adequately moistens the cage) now hand misting about 4 times a day until cage is damp (1-3 min) I have not seen him drinking but dont usually anyway
Fecal Description - healthy appearance brown fecal matter w/ white urate, formed and not any different than since Ive had him
History -since I got him he has been very active, great eater, friendly and seems to be growing quite well and has great colors

Cage Info:
Cage Type -DIY med aluminum screen cage (16" x 16" x 24" i think)
Lighting - 75wat lightbulb for heat and reptisun 5.0
Temperature - temps range from about 60-75 most of the time, I have a digital thermometer
Humidity - I had a humidity gage but never seemed to work, I know I should get a new one but I have been just guestimating for the most part. Again, seemed to be doing fine up until now so I havent been too worried about it Plants - I have mostly fake greenery but do have a dracaena and several pieces of wood (willow and poplar I believe - cant quite remember now but I know I did check the safe plants list before putting anything in there)
Placement - Cage is in my living room on an end table next to my sofa, has been there since day 1
Location - I live in north central mass

I dont see him trying to clean it at all, otherwise he seems completely normal. eating well and no other odd behavior. I will definately try the shower trick but I just have 1 question, I use distilled H2O in the mister, I have town water, would there be any cause for concern for this?
his basking site is about 78 and unfortunately I can not upload any pix right now (waiting for a new camera :( ) I think I have some pix of both on my profile (nothing has changed cage wise)
sry, just checked my album and didnt have any of his cage pix uploaded, i thought i did...just my luck! lol, as soon as I get a new camera that will def change

Also, I could be completely over reacting, my first cham and every little thing freaks me out at first and then hes fine. Since posting this he hasnt close his eye once and is actually drinking quite well, I have been working alot lately and my boyfriend was taking care of him most of the time for the past few weeks, might just be me freaking out cuz I havent really been able to spend as much time with him. I will continue to increase the mistings and see if that helps. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom