Closed eye

flowerrpal

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Ambilobe Panther Chameleon, 1.5 years, I have had her for almost 2 weeks
  • Handling - I have only handled her twice since I got her and once was taking her home, although I am in her tank daily to feed her, but I just place a cup of feeders in the bottom of the tank for her and it does not seem to disturb her.
  • Feeding - She gets as many dubia roaches as she can eat daily, generally about 10-15, which are fed daily with fresh fruits and veggies but also have dry feed in their tank. On friday i get them all crickets and horn worms
  • Supplements - I use Repti Calcium, the zoo med brand without D3 and I use that daily. Mulitivitamins are used once to twice a week, the reptivite brand.
  • Watering - They have automatic misters and drips on their tanks
  • Fecal Description - Her urate is white although it was a light orange when I initially got her, that has been corrected though
  • History - I only got her 2 weeks ago but she has previously had 2 clutches and both were successful

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2x2x4 ft screen tanks with a lrage umbrella plant
  • Lighting - a UVB that stretches the length of my 3 tanks and a baskin on each one
  • Temperature - 85 in the tank regularly and 95 in her basking spot, measured using a dual humidity and temp gauge, one in the middle of the tank and one at the top
  • Humidity - 65% humidity average, created by a mister and a drip
  • Plants - A huge umbrella plant that spans the tank
  • Placement - In the middle of my 'fish room' which regularly holds 55% humidity by itself, no vents or fans near them, they are all on a long 3 ft tall table and the tanks are 4 ft tall
  • Location - Mesa Arizona

Current Problem - I have noticed she occasionally closes her left eye or squints it. As well, sometimes her eye looks clear and open but almost a diamond shape.

Attachments

• Snapchat-2140722785.jpg
    Snapchat-2140722785.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Snapchat-1925196992.jpg
    Snapchat-1925196992.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Snapchat-1335291912.jpg
    Snapchat-1335291912.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Snapchat-553322799.jpg
    Snapchat-553322799.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Snapchat-915259987.jpg
    Snapchat-915259987.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 119
My answers are in red.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Ambilobe Panther Chameleon, 1.5 years, I have had her for almost 2 weeks
  • Handling - I have only handled her twice since I got her and once was taking her home, although I am in her tank daily to feed her, but I just place a cup of feeders in the bottom of the tank for her and it does not seem to disturb her. Is it possible that a leaf or something fell in, and when she shot her tongue to get a feeder, it hit her eye?
  • Feeding - She gets as many dubia roaches as she can eat daily, generally about 10-15, which are fed daily with fresh fruits and veggies but also have dry feed in their tank. On friday i get them all crickets and horn worms What is the dry feed, and is that the only feeders you use?
  • Supplements - I use Repti Calcium, the zoo med brand without D3 and I use that daily. Mulitivitamins are used once to twice a week, the reptivite brand. Reptivite contains prEformed Vitamin A, which can build up in their system. I would do that once or twice a month. The general rule for supplementing is using a phosphorus-free calcium w/o D3 every or every other feeding (depends on age), and phosphorus-free Calcium D3 and Multivitamin every 2 weeks, but this depends on other conditions as well.
  • Watering - They have automatic misters and drips on their tanks What is the schedule?
  • Fecal Description - Her urate is white although it was a light orange when I initially got her, that has been corrected though And the feces?
  • History - I only got her 2 weeks ago but she has previously had 2 clutches and both were successful Do you know how big the clutches were?

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2x2x4 ft screen tanks with a lrage umbrella plant
  • Lighting - a UVB that stretches the length of my 3 tanks and a baskin on each one What is the UVB (5.0, 6%, etc.) and size of the bulb (T5, etc.)? What is the wattage of the basking spot?
  • Temperature - 85 in the tank regularly and 95 in her basking spot, measured using a dual humidity and temp gauge, one in the middle of the tank and one at the top I would recommend using a digital, it gets better ratings. 95 as a basking spot is between 10-15 degrees too high. The basking should be between 80 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit, if you include one at all (ask more about this if you don't understand). The ambient temperature should be in the lower 70's for the lower part of the enclosure.
  • Humidity - 65% humidity average, created by a mister and a drip That sounds about right.
  • Plants - A huge umbrella plant that spans the tank
  • Placement - In the middle of my 'fish room' which regularly holds 55% humidity by itself, no vents or fans near them, they are all on a long 3 ft tall table and the tanks are 4 ft tall Do you have a divider to prevent the chameleons from seeing each other?
  • Location - Mesa Arizona

Current Problem - I have noticed she occasionally closes her left eye or squints it. As well, sometimes her eye looks clear and open but almost a diamond shape. When was the last time she shed? Feel free to ask questions, and PM me if you would like.

Since I got her, a leaf in the eye feeding could not be possible because while I do cup feed, I watch them eat and they almost always eat it all and then I remove the cup.
Normally that is the only feeders they get because that is just about everything offered by every pet shop near me that is safe for chameleons.
For the watering I use RO water and it sprays for 15 seconds every hour but this is enough to keep the humidity up for them. I put a drip on that runs for about 3 hours, once in the morning and once in the afternoon.
The feces is normal from everything I have read.
The clutches averaged 25 and 20 successful.
I have a 48" double light fixture for the UVBs across each set of 2 tanks
Yes there is a divider for each of the tanks.

Since I got her, a leaf in the eye feeding could not be possible because while I do cup feed, I watch them eat and they almost always eat it all and then I remove the cup.
Normally that is the only feeders they get because that is just about everything offered by every pet shop near me that is safe for chameleons.
For the watering I use RO water and it sprays for 15 seconds every hour but this is enough to keep the humidity up for them. I put a drip on that runs for about 3 hours, once in the morning and once in the afternoon.
The feces is normal from everything I have read.
The clutches averaged 25 and 20 successful.
I have a 48" double light fixture for the UVBs across each set of 2 tanks
Yes there is a divider for each of the tanks.
When was the UVB last changed out? Misting is also for hygiene, it should run longer.

Overfeeding constantly can lead to her producing large clutches, developing MBD, becoming eggbound and prolapsing.

So far in this thread I see nothing that is addressing how to fix the eye issue...and im afraid I can't tell you what's causing it either. Sorry.

The only thing wrong with mine is the eye issue, it does not seem to cause her any pain at all, she is still active and other than the eye she is healthy. She has a vivacious appetite because she was underfed when I got her and you could kind of see her bones so I am trying to fix that. I have a vet appointment for tomorrow but I was hoping someone might know what it was before I have to spend all that money, there is one exotic vet withing a 30 minute drive and they are expensive. The UVB was changed when I first got the three of them and the website says this lasts for 1 year but I prefer to change them early. I also manually mist them but there is no schedule for that, it is just as I can.

When I first got them there was feces on the bottom of their tank, a layer about a millimeter thick and I immediately cleaned the bottom of the tank with reptile safe cleaner to kill bacteria and then covered the bottom with the reptile carpet stuff. However, I performed an initial fecal exam on the other two she came with and nothing showed up in them, the tanks were side by side when I got them. She had not gone get so I waited to test her but when the other two were fine I did not perform one on her, i am going to however before I take her to the vet tomorrow to test for myself.

My female was closing her right eye just like that for about two weeks. She was perfectly healthy other then keeping one eye closed how your describing. I was worried and watched her for the two weeks and then noticed she started to shed. And the first thing to start shedding was the eye she had kept closed. So I assumed it was because she was getting ready to shed and her eye was itchy. Once she finished shedding she stopped keeping her eye closed and I haven't had a problem since. So she might just be getting ready to shed?

Back
Top Bottom