Clear film over one eye

Hello has this been resolved my girl (5 mth old veiled) has the same thing husbandry is all correct and I'm thinking it's a light issue, a clear film builds and I flush with distilled water and saline it resolves and a week or two later it repeats, the first time it flaked off like a scab that was essentially like a clear eye patch same diameter as the lens opening, i raised her light even higher currently 12 " above her highest perch ( was 6"), I have uvb 6 t5 from arcadia 34" bulb im thinking of putting in a diffuser or something, i didn't have these problems with the uvb 12 reptisun i got from Petco, i may put that back in temporarily till we figure it out, but I'm at a loss and afraid of permanent eye damage.

Also I've taken her to the vet he saw her after I flush the eye as I didn't want to make her suffer until he could get her in and basically it sort of flushes off like a scab but it keeps coming back he said not to worry about it and just to keep flushing it I'm looking for some ideas as I raised up her light to 8 inches above the top branch and keep the misting at 3 minutes twice a day and everything else is spot on with vitamins and she still feeds very well just wanted to know as I haven't seen anybody else with this solution that is permanent but it keeps coming back

Attachments

• IMG_20230511_075955404.jpg
    IMG_20230511_075955404.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20230511_080037554.jpg
    IMG_20230511_080037554.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230511_081319117.jpg
    IMG_20230511_081319117.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 46
Hi. I know you say everything is “spot on with vitamins” but I’d like if you’d humor me and tell me what supplements you are using and how often for each.
So I'm using the repashy twice a month first and the 15th and the reptical daily with her feedings I'm open to any suggestions as I really don't want to see her have permanent problems and I'm starting to get worried as a one-off issue is fine but it seems to be a reoccurring theme I flush it and it is okay but it's getting her to the point where she doesn't want to have me pull her out of the cage it's probably once a week I have to flush it and it literally flakes off just like a scab would in one of the previous pictures you can see the glint I know the picture is out of focus but the point was to see the glint of the eye scab

Attachments

• 16839020594836048665221625031858.jpg
    16839020594836048665221625031858.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 39
So I'm using the repashy twice a month first and the 15th and the reptical daily with her feedings I'm open to any suggestions as I really don't want to see her have permanent problems and I'm starting to get worried as a one-off issue is fine but it seems to be a reoccurring theme I flush it and it is okay but it's getting her to the point where she doesn't want to have me pull her out of the cage it's probably once a week I have to flush it and it literally flakes off just like a scab would in one of the previous pictures you can see the glint I know the picture is out of focus but the point was to see the glint of the eye scab

Attachments

• 16839023190371091255270278594761.jpg
    16839023190371091255270278594761.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 32
You are overdosing with the supervite... It is not recommended for chams due to the extremely high levels of vitamin A. I agree with switching to repashy calcium plus LoD version.

What is the material that you have for your top panel of your cage? This is important because different material reduces the UVI level of our UVB bulbs differently.

Was the wood you made the enclosure with sealed? or is it Raw?

Last edited:
You are overdosing with the supervite... It is not recommended for chams due to the extremely high levels of vitamin A. I agree with switching to repashy calcium plus LoD version.

What is the material that you have for your top panel of your cage? This is important because different material reduces the UVI level of our UVB bulbs differently.

Was the wood you made the enclosure with sealed? or is it Raw?
-The wood is sealed with water-based finish, it is kiln dried fir, I use the finish on cutting boards it's extremely low VOC food safe and does not smell at all

-the screen is just a basic flexible screen that one would use at the top of a cage, I put it there up there to keep he out of the lights and also hoping to cut back the brightness temporarily because I was worried the lighting might be affecting her eyes, it was purchased from Arcadia and it's t5 ho u v b 6%

-I will alter the vitamins , this started before we started using them at about 4.5 mths old

I'm thinking that maybe the misting is not enough or not getting to her? It is in each corner and placed at a downward angle covering the majority of the habitat.

update:
In the last month I've had her to the vet twice now
3 weeks ago
And yesterday to the emergency pet hospital that treats chameleons, they are the ones that all the pet stores use and I was referred to by several local vets I called. I'm in Salem Oregon, they specialize in and are capable of doing surgery, blood work, and fecal cultures. Dr Mills is the best that I have access to within about a hundred miles their instruction was to keep flushing the eyes (mostly left eye then it switches to right) with the warm saline solution using a curved tip dental syringe,

Im feeling like maybe I made a mistake getting a chameleon. in 6 months I'm into this for probably $1,500 already. I'm feeling frustrated because basically two separate vets that treat chameleons said the same thing as keep flushing her eyes which tells me that maybe it's a humidity issue my humidity is running at 50 to 70% low and high end temperature is 65 to 80 basking spot is 80° and she has good circulation and misting twice a day for 3 minutes I just changed that to three times a day for 3 minutes I asked the vet about a fogger he said it wasn't necessary if I was missing basically we did a full husband review and he said that everything looks good

I got my little girl from Petco in January, not sure what to do, she's still eating and behaving properly, the vet said he would prescribe an antibiotic in one week if it kept persisting but he didn't think that that was it he said sometimes they just have these problems it's basically a clear film over her eye that becomes opaque and hard that in time causes her to blink profusely and not be able to see our of that eye, Beman wanted me to post this to hopefully get some outside input as I've been communicating with him directly also hopefully I can help others but I'm sort of frustrated as I have to flush her eye every three to five days.

Thanks for any help

-The wood is sealed with water-based finish, it is kiln dried fir, I use the finish on cutting boards it's extremely low VOC food safe and does not smell at all

-the screen is just a basic flexible screen that one would use at the top of a cage, I put it there up there to keep he out of the lights and also hoping to cut back the brightness temporarily because I was worried the lighting might be affecting her eyes, it was purchased from Arcadia and it's t5 ho u v b 6%

-I will alter the vitamins , this started before we started using them at about 4.5 mths old

I'm thinking that maybe the misting is not enough or not getting to her? It is in each corner and placed at a downward angle covering the majority of the habitat.

update:
In the last month I've had her to the vet twice now
3 weeks ago
And yesterday to the emergency pet hospital that treats chameleons, they are the ones that all the pet stores use and I was referred to by several local vets I called. I'm in Salem Oregon, they specialize in and are capable of doing surgery, blood work, and fecal cultures. Dr Mills is the best that I have access to within about a hundred miles their instruction was to keep flushing the eyes (mostly left eye then it switches to right) with the warm saline solution using a curved tip dental syringe,

Im feeling like maybe I made a mistake getting a chameleon. in 6 months I'm into this for probably $1,500 already. I'm feeling frustrated because basically two separate vets that treat chameleons said the same thing as keep flushing her eyes which tells me that maybe it's a humidity issue my humidity is running at 50 to 70% low and high end temperature is 65 to 80 basking spot is 80° and she has good circulation and misting twice a day for 3 minutes I just changed that to three times a day for 3 minutes I asked the vet about a fogger he said it wasn't necessary if I was missing basically we did a full husband review and he said that everything looks good

I got my little girl from Petco in January, not sure what to do, she's still eating and behaving properly, the vet said he would prescribe an antibiotic in one week if it kept persisting but he didn't think that that was it he said sometimes they just have these problems it's basically a clear film over her eye that becomes opaque and hard that in time causes her to blink profusely and not be able to see our of that eye, Beman wanted me to post this to hopefully get some outside input as I've been communicating with him directly also hopefully I can help others but I'm sort of frustrated as I have to flush her eye every three to five days.

Thanks for any help
Ok if you are blocking the UVB light using like the plastic netting you are reducing the UVI more than likely far too much. You need to only use a piece of aluminum window screen between the lighting and the cage interior. This in turn only blocks 40%. So you then measure from the screen to the branches below 8-9 inches. This puts them in the correct UVI level exposure.

If she is not getting the UVB exposure she needs then this in turn can lower the immune system causing infection to easily take hold.

Chameleons are one of the hardest animals I have ever kept. Making sure everything within her environment and husbandry is on point is how you can attempt to hold off issues. Even with perfect husbandry things go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom