Cleaning the vivarium

yolobrat

Hello :D
I'm wondering how often do I need to clean the vivarium and what is the proper way to do it?
What I do with a chameleon while doing it and does chameleon it self requiers cleaning?
I have a glass vivarium 60X120X60 cm

I do a wipe down cleaning of the bottom, branches and any pooped on leaves weekly while my chameleons are out of their cages. I use vinegar and rinse it or isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and let dry before returning them to their cage.
I pick up any poo and urates several times a week as needed. Every few months I do a serious cleaning with disinfectants and rinse very thoroughly.
The idea is not to let fecal material build up in the cage where feeders might eat it and reinfect your cham with any parasite eggs they may be passing.
The chameleon themselves I let bathe themselves in the occasional long shower. They need the chance to clean their eyes.
"Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method." or you can just give them an extra long hand misting until you see them clean their eyes.

Back
Top Bottom