claws getting long

opihiman

Just a little history Re, Joe.
He has lost a few of his claws about 12 of them due to the getting them caught in the screen mesh. thats actually not the problem. those wounds have healed nicely and the claws seem to be growing back.

What I have been noticing is that the remaining claw on his foot is growing quite large and instead of curling down it is curling to the side.

the Question's are:
Should I trim the claw or just leave it alone"
I the claw growing side ways a sign of a problem?
Are there things that I can put into the cage to help him to wear his claws more normally?

Husbandry is lited below:

Picture to go up later tonight:

Cage Info:
• Cage Type – 24x24x38 screen cage
• Lighting – Ambient light, Chameleons get to sit out on porch,from 0600 to 1500 and then reptisun linear 7.0 till 1800
• Temperature – Hawaii temps Day time 80x night time in hours 65 to 70’s
• Humidity – anywhere from 50 to 60% spray cage 3 to 4 times per day
• Plants – artificial plants…on home made dowel tree, dendrobiums
• Location – Cage location in corner of living room, medium to low traffic, ceiling fan or out on porch

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon – male 1 year old jackson. store bought
• Feeding – crickets and meal worms. Every one is eating well. About 6 cricket every other day, 6 to 8 meal worms gut loaded with papaya, ong choy, kiwi, and cricket water with calcium, Occ house fly and moth, with daddy long leg spiders.
• Supplements – zoomed multivit 2x per mos, Calcium D3 1x per mos
Still working on sup schedule for vit A
• Watering – drip system in constant modification. Located currently a mid level of cage, may go back to top.
• Fecal Description – mostly brown with white specks. Occ watery with one to two per day
• History - He has lost about 8 to 12 nails secondary to getting caught on the screen. I have added more vines and plants to help with keeping him off of the screen as much as possible

• Current Problem – his remain claws are getting long and quite big.

thanks

OPI:cool:

Ok I had a chance to take some pics....

I also had a little more time to investigate...I figured it out...He has more claws being ripped out...I really hate this screen....:mad:

it seems to be hanging on by something, should I take it off or just wait?

I will be adding more vines and things to climb on..

Any comments are welcome....even the ones that say..."your a freaking bad husbandry dude"LOL

OPI:eek:

Attachments

• joe10.jpg
    joe10.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 195
  • joe10toe.jpg
    joe10toe.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 188
  • joe10toe2.jpg
    joe10toe2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 156
I would either make him a new cage out of the plastic chicken wire or at least line the cage he has now with is. Jann

In that 2nd pic that claw does not look normal. It looks like it might be part of the way pulled out.

I would either make him a new cage out of the plastic chicken wire or at least line the cage he has now with is. Jann
Here's an example of what she means. It's easiest to zip tie three panels together and then twist tie them to the cage:
P1080081.jpg

This would be the product to use:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100384026
In some specific rare instances I have felt the need to give a nail or two a file....but would NEVER recommend cutting, as the nails grow VERY slowly and are not intended to be cut.
Good luck.

That looks like a great idea...thanks...

Next question...what to do with the claws that look like their just hanging on..

OPI:D

If it were me I'd let my vet look at it. It could get infected. If you're not able to go to the vet, I think i'd just leave it alone and keep a close eye on it. See what some of the other members here think. I'd also get him away from that screen as soon as possible. Jann

it looks like your lack of airflow may also be playing a part, if his cage his staying too wet, it can certainly cause some foot infections

That looks like a great idea...thanks...

Next question...what to do with the claws that look like their just hanging on..

OPI:D
Hello, first as already suggested, you should keep a really good eye on them, to make sure that they don't get infected. In my experiences, I usually notice the nail fall out of the bed on their own. Even after a vet visit, if un-infected they have been left alone, to fall off themselves in time. I'm afraid he may not have any nails left :eek: Please consider the poultry fence liner, as I'm sure it will only benefit this guy :)

Already considered and under construction...I am getting tired of seeing his weird claws and I am pretty sure he is getting tired of the problem too...:(:confused:

I have been treating with prophylactic bactitracin already...:D

thanks for the all the help:D

OPI

Do you have any pictures of your enclosure?

I guess the real reason I ask is that if you do not have enough in the way of vines, branches....etc...they get on the screen. They do this a lot when the cage is to small also. Maybe adding a couple of things or even moving stuff around might get him off of the screen.

The only time I see mine on the screen is for some turn around manuevers and when they are on the bottom of the cage trying to get up.

I would think that the sideways nail in the second picture will fall off soon. Keep your eye on it for a couple of days after it falls off this would most likely be when your going to have a problem, if he has a problem. Losing a claw is a pretty common thing for a captive chameleon most don't have any problems with it.

Last edited:
The cage he is in now is a 24x24x38 aluminum screen cage. so I don't think that size is an issue. as far as getting more things in there, I have plans for a bamboo lattice for the 3 sides and possibly the top.:confused:

It will just take some time to construct things....I will repost again once I have every thing completed and installed...stay tuned...

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

OPI;)

OK this is day 3 post changes in Joe's cage.

I was a little reluctant to use the plastic poultry mesh. So I start to make a bamboo lattice and changed the way the vines were situated in the cage to give him more privacy and basking areas higher in the cage.

While I was in the process of making this contraption, it dawns on me that when My chams sit out on the porch, their cages sit right next to each. I new jacksons were horny but Joe takes the cake. He is sitting on the mesh because he is trying to get to Girl.

Anyway I finish making the lattice and install. In addition I have added a "no See'em" :cool:blind to the set up.Then I sat down where my 2 chams go out to bask in the sun. It seems as though he is a little more relax now and I haven't seen him on the mesh at all.

I hope this works...I think I ll need to add more pieces of bamboo as I am able to pick it up...:)

Thanks for all the help...
Joe appreciates the advice and girl is happy not to see joe too.:D

OPI

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG