Circular cages?

Coop

Avid Member
I was looking around for diy cages for Pete last night so my mom and I could make one, and a lot of them were basically large pots with a tree in it, and screen surrounding it. Would this be possible, if I reinforced in with wood and Plexiglas, to use for Pete?

I was looking around for diy cages for Pete last night so my mom and I could make one, and a lot of them were basically large pots with a tree in it, and screen surrounding it. Would this be possible, if I reinforced in with wood and Plexiglas, to use for Pete?
A lot of what I have seen is wood that is built into a box with some kind of stain on It. Then they will use a small screen for the surroundings and figure something out for the bottom/drainage.

I think I’ve seen these too and always thought they’d be more appropriate to just use for outside time. I guess it depends on size and ability to construct.

I like the condo type the most but haven't got balls yo go for it. with a single source bulb for uva&uvb on like a hanging basket above another planted with vines from top canopy to lower platform. Seen somreally nice ones with nice wood hiding all plumbing and lighting ??

Ya those are really meant for temp housing.

However if you used large pots (like 24inch around or at least like 20) i guess you could do it, and as said make it tall and use a MH or MVB for heat and UV.

Its alot harder than just making a stick build though surely.

I think it was on here i seen them really nice craftsmanship put in, maybe helps with a fully grown chilled out chameleon who is comfortable,,
I bumped into a chameleon last year at a B&B that kept a chameleon on a tree open enclosure just chilled there got a pic somewhere...

Attachments

• IMG_20190901_222819356.jpg
    IMG_20190901_222819356.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20190901_222812488.jpg
    IMG_20190901_222812488.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 104
The one I'm most familiar with is the one featured in Reptiles magazine from 2015.
I've seen others as well: diy round chameleon enclosure.

There was one featured on a reptile show video—I think it was one of Clint Laidlaw's, IIRC, BICBW.

I think the folks showing that one were developing it commercially via GoFundMe or some such...

Quite a few of these had no such reinforcement (and I don't recall how you got access... :unsure:).

The biggest concern I had was the footprints all seemed rather small to me. A 2x2x4 is 4 sq. ft., but a 2' dia is only 3.14159yaddayaddayadda sq. ft. Some of the round cages above were something less than 2' in dia.

Did you have a particular design or plan in mind (if so, which one) and how wide were you thinking of making it (and what species is Pete)?

The one I'm most familiar with is the one featured in Reptiles magazine from 2015.
I've seen others as well: diy round chameleon enclosure.

There was one featured on a reptile show video—I think it was one of Clint Laidlaw's, IIRC, BICBW.

I think the folks showing that one were developing it commercially via GoFundMe or some such...

Quite a few of these had no such reinforcement (and I don't recall how you got access... :unsure:).

The biggest concern I had was the footprints all seemed rather small to me. A 2x2x4 is 4 sq. ft., but a 2' dia is only 3.14159yaddayaddayadda sq. ft. Some of the round cages were something less than 2' in dia.

Did you have a particular design or plan in mind (if so, which one) and how wide were you thinking of making it (and what species is Pete)?

2x2x4 is 16 SQ FT, but I am just nitpicking lololol.

:).

Thank you all for your replies. i apologize for not responding sooner, as I have been dealing with my finals for school. @JacksJill , that cage is amazing, and that is what I would aim for, but due to other points on here that I have not previously thought about, I will most likely go with a rectangular build. If i were to build a rectangular cage from scratch, how would I do so? What would be some materials? And @Klyde O'Scope , Pete is a male panther chameleon

Thank you all for your replies. i apologize for not responding sooner, as I have been dealing with my finals for school. @JacksJill , that cage is amazing, and that is what I would aim for, but due to other points on here that I have not previously thought about, I will most likely go with a rectangular build. If i were to build a rectangular cage from scratch, how would I do so? What would be some materials? And @Klyde O'Scope , Pete is a male panther chameleon
As it happens, I'm puling together a design for a 30"x30"x48" (but could apply to any dimensions) for an anticipated male panther. I'm going a little larger than many folks' 24"x24"x48" because it'll be sitting on a 30" wide table, and why waste the extra table space? ;)

I'm planning on window screen parts from Home Despot or Lowes, slid into a frame of Quick Frame, and I found a drain pan that should be the correct size for the bottom.

Other folks like wood frames; I've even heard of some building the frame from PVC pipe.

There are some excellent ideas to be had from the 3 enclosure picture threads and google.

I still have a few questions of my own—working on composing a post. :)

I was considering diy'ing a cage before opting for a mass produced screen cage, after all i DIY my fishtank and although i love it i have a habit of over engineering things. Too lazy to do the math lol.
But in my one of my ideas was slotted aluminium frame looks good and can get nice chrome round corners like on flight cases, would be easy too attach structural features with the slots.

I was considering diy'ing a cage before opting for a mass produced screen cage, after all i DIY my fishtank and although i love it i have a habit of over engineering things. Too lazy to do the math lol.
But in my one of my ideas was slotted aluminium frame looks good and can get nice chrome round corners like on flight cases, would be easy too attach structural features with the slots.
... Or directly to the square tube of the frame. Plain aluminum bars or straps can be screwed to the frame like dragon ledges, but entirely on the inside—no need to pierce the screening. I haven't found any chrome corners for this system. AFAIK, the connectors are nylon; I was thinking about spraying them with aluminum paint.

I know exactly what you mean about over-engineering (Guilty! :rolleyes:)
I've seen many DIY cages from screen parts that don't use any additional framing. I'm just not convinced of the durability for the long haul. YMMV.

... Or directly to the square tube of the frame. Plain aluminum bars or straps can be screwed to the frame like dragon ledges, but entirely on the inside—no need to pierce the screening. I haven't found any chrome corners for this system. AFAIK, the connectors are nylon; I was thinking about spraying them with aluminum paint.

I know exactly what you mean about over-engineering (Guilty! :rolleyes:)
I've seen many DIY cages from screen parts that don't use any additional framing. I'm just not convinced of the durability for the long haul. YMMV.

The durability for the long haul is fine?

If you get quality thick screen frame than its quality thick long lasting metal. The quick frame, is just as strong as a similar sized screen frame.

If anything, and your truly worried about strength of the cage. I would just build it from screen frame like normal, and then Rivet on some 1/16 - 1/8 thick aluminum angle to all the corners.

Your way overthinking the rigidity needed. Quick Frame has its uses in cage building (Forex Builds, Alu frame - PVC panels) but what your suggesting is honestly just a waste of money.

Also You dont need the screen frame if you use the Quick Frame. What purpose does it serve? If you really dead set on using Quick frame. Just get the QF with the
Flanges, build it like a forex cage, and then spline the screen into the flanges.

I see. Cost is the same for either the curved profile 1" T-slot or the Quick Frame, so it probably comes down to aesthetics. Not sure how the mesh would be tensioned down & attached to the T-slot (but I'm open-minded at this point; that's why I'm discussing it through my design process.) A lot of these materials & methods are new to me.

If you get quality thick screen frame than its quality thick long lasting metal. The quick frame, is just as strong as a similar sized screen frame.
The only screen frames I'm currently aware of are the 5/16"x3/4" or 5/16"x1" sold in the big box stores.
I'm still shopping for the fabric. (I'm working on a post with all my questions & issues—wasn't really prepared to get into all that now; I just brought it up because the OP asked in post #12.)

If anything, and your truly worried about strength of the cage. I would just build it from screen frame like normal, and then Rivet on some 1/16 - 1/8 thick aluminum angle to all the corners.
What, me rivet? Sorry to admit life experience never took me in that direction. Further explanation below.

Your way overthinking the rigidity needed. Quick Frame has its uses in cage building (Forex Builds, Alu frame - PVC panels) but what your suggesting is honestly just a waste of money.

Very likely. Had to look up "forex", and then wade through all the stock market stuff. :LOL:

Also You dont need the screen frame if you use the Quick Frame. What purpose does it serve? If you really dead set on using Quick frame. Just get the QF with the
Flanges, build it like a forex cage, and then spline the screen into the flanges.

Again, this probably isn't the place, but after reading myself weary about screening & chameleon enclosures, I'm not terribly confident my eventual choice will be suitable. My idea was to slide the screens down into the channeled QF. Then, if the screening ever needed to be replaced for ANY reason (suffice it to say there's an ENORMOUS klutz factor in this house :oops:), it would be a simple matter to remove the top, slide the screens out and re-screen as necessary without tearing the whole enclosure apart.

The only screen frames I'm currently aware of are the 5/16"x3/4" or 5/16"x1" sold in the big box stores.
I'm still shopping for the fabric. (I'm working on a post with all my questions & issues—wasn't really prepared to get into all that now; I just brought it up because the OP asked in post #12.)

What, me rivet? Sorry to admit life experience never took me in that direction. Further explanation below.

Very likely. Had to look up "forex", and then wade through all the stock market stuff. :LOL:

Again, this probably isn't the place, but after reading myself weary about screening & chameleon enclosures, I'm not terribly confident my eventual choice will be suitable. My idea was to slide the screens down into the channeled QF. Then, if the screening ever needed to be replaced for ANY reason (suffice it to say there's an ENORMOUS klutz factor in this house :oops:), it would be a simple matter to remove the top, slide the screens out and re-screen as necessary without tearing the whole enclosure apart.

Much better screen frame online, from specialty company's than big box stores.

Use Aluminum screen, not fabric or fiberglass. The crickets and the chameleon can rip and chew through fiberglass.

"Forex" is the EU slang for the enclosure type. Not sure you will find much on Google outside of the proper channels. Not many in the US use that cage style, but its popular across the pond.

Slotting the screen into the flanges is a great idea. But the flanges are made for 1/4 inch panels, screen frames won't fit into that, as they are 5/16 or thicker in my experience. Though you can get 1"x1" screen frame that look like the Quick Frame, but with a smaller flange, and closer to the outside.

You can spline the screen directly into the flange though, that would still be easy to replace the screen.

Riveting is very very easy. You drill small hole (size of rivet) stick the rivet in the gun, put the rivet in the hole, and squeeze the gun. The pressure bends the metal, and snaps off the nail like portion, leaving a nice clean rivet.

But you can use screws with the angle idea. Doesnt have to be rivets.

Back
Top Bottom