Christmas Travelling w. Cham

nosytrish

Hey everyone,
My boyfriend and I will be visiting our family this holiday and since Zephyr is a baby, we want to keep him with us to make sure he is okay. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to make sure that this puts the least amount of stress on the little guy. The drive will take around 1.5-2 hours and we do not intend to stop or let the car get cold in any way. Would it be better to keep him in or out of his cage? If he stays in, I was thinking to do it after 8pm so that we dont mess up his 12/12 lighting schedule, as well as having warm towels surrounding the cage. All of your input will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Trish, Steve and Lil'Zephyr

Put him in a small container with a paper towel on the bottom and keep it really dark the whole time he's in the car. He'll go to sleep and wont be stressed too much(hopefully.) Also you can take a pillow case and turn it inside out and put him in there then stick it in a box.

Was it mailed to you? What I would do is get an insulated box and pack him up in there. Since the car will be warm you wont need a heat pack but incase of an emergency I would bring one of those hand warmers you can get from walmart or where ever. If something was to happen you would be able to place the heat pack in the insulated box to keep it warm. Being in the cage would probably be rather stressful for it. Giving him a nice dark place in the box should make him fall asleep and be less stressful. If you can find a stick just lodge it in between the styrofoam insulation so he can have something to hang on to. Also bring some news paper to wrap the heat pack up if it needs to be used. You dont want him falling on it or it getting too hot in the box. Just wrap it up with 3 or 4 layers of news paper.

Edit. I was asking if it was mailed, then you could use the same box ;)

I like hearing people care about their chams enough to take them along and worry about how to do so with little stress on the cham.:) Good job.

travelling :)

Thank you guys for all of your advice. Unfortunately he did not come in an insulated box because we purchased him from global exotic pets and we just put him in a ziplock container for the 5 minute ride home. I will try to locate an insulated box for him to feel more comfortable this afternoon (do you think that the ups store would have one? Walmart?) and I will definately be getting some of those handwarmers, they make great stocking stuffers too! :p

We could not even think about leaving this little guy alone for the holidays! He is part of our little family now. I just want to make sure that he is not stressed due to our travelling. In our minds, stress=illness and that is not fair to inflict. No matter how much stress a human can take, the word does not carrythe same connotation when it comes to chams), Therefore, his needs come first (and we feel bad enough about not owning my own jungle for him to roam and be a true Nosy be.)

Lil' Zephyr has more luggage than me! Call us nervous new parents, but we just love him so much!! Thanks everyone!!

Trish

most mini marts have little 6 pack coolers or insolated lunch bag but "make sure air can enter it" and hand warmer ull be good to go ;)

Back
Top Bottom