Choosing a Grow Light

wattage i dont think will make up a difference. just like our uvb bulbs. it isnt the amount of wattage that puts out, ever bulb different wattage gives out the same uvb output. there are just different wattages for different sizes.

Yes, go with more efficient. & If you get a bigger cage and need a tube, get T8, its even more efficient than the T12 version.

what length uvb flourescent are you running? your best privillage would be to run a double light fixture both the same size so you are getting the same equivallent of both bulbs, not one larger one smaller. also, wrap the inside of the fixture up in aluminum foil for better projection. dull side out.

A bulb in 3500k-5500k would be better suited for plants.
Plant utilize the red end of the spectrum for photosynthesis.

Wow!
I didn't know so much info went into these plant lights.
I'll do some more research and make a more informed decision.

Ok, so after reading those links sandrachameleon gave me (Thanks (;) and reading over this thread a couple of times, I think I have it down!

I'm going to go with the 6500 K 75 watt.
I'm using it for a schleffera and hibiscus. This is a good choice right?!
Gosh all this Kelvin and Lumen talk is making me dizzzyyyy.
lol,
Thanks for all the help guys.

I have the exact same plants and I use Bulb 2. :)

So far so good. My ficus has growning like a weed towards the light. The shleferlalala is very healthy too!

How tall is your cage and what hood choices are you considering?

I have an 18x18x36 cage.
I am going to put the grow light on the side thought, so height doesn't really matter.

I'm considering a linear tube fixture or ceramic light fixture.
Ok final questions before I make my decision.

1. What is the BEST Kelvin color temp for schleffera and hibiscus?
2. CFL or Linear Tube?

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP.

I have an 18x18x36 cage.
I am going to put the grow light on the side thought, so height doesn't really matter.

I'm considering a linear tube fixture or ceramic light fixture.
Ok final questions before I make my decision.

1. What is the BEST Kelvin color temp for schleffera and hibiscus?
2. CFL or Linear Tube?

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP.

Im not sure having the light on the side of the cage is the right thing to do, for the chameleon's sake.

Do you want the hibiscus to flower?

Im not sure having the light on the side of the cage is the right thing to do, for the chameleon's sake.

Do you want the hibiscus to flower?

I would love for the hibiscus to flower, but that is not the main goal.
Where would be the best location for a light then? The roof? I would need a light that had "long distance" K so it could reach the plants 1/3 - 2/3 meter down.

I just use the standard CFL bulbs that they sell at Lowes in the multipacks in the 75 watt 6500K. You get for of them for about $8 and my plants like them a lot more than the grow bulbs that I would using that were linear. Light on those just did not get deep enough and I had a Schleffera die as a result. My second is growing like crazy.

Can you use the CFL and not hurt the chams eyes? Is it a certain type of bulb that is bad for their eyes? I remember reading a lot about that on here, but forgot what it was exactly that was bad???

Back
Top Bottom