Chick peas

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
Anyone know if there would be a down side to feeding cooked chick peas to roaches? I had never ate these before and got some free from a friend so decided to cook em up. Yuck! Well let's see if the bugs will eat them? and yes they cleaned the plate in no time. I have 2 more bags left but want to make sure it's ok to use on the colonies.

Yeah sure go ahead, they're high in protein so I wouldn't use tons of them all the time, but in your case it will be fine and good for the roaches if you're breeding them.

20% protein. Keep in mind that is too high for roaches, but is the protein target for crickets. Dubia do not do well when the entire diet is above 13%, and you will start having die offs around 20-25%. But if just half chick peas you will be find.

20% protein. Keep in mind that is too high for roaches, but is the protein target for crickets. Dubia do not do well when the entire diet is above 13%, and you will start having die offs around 20-25%. But if just half chick peas you will be find.

Seems to be only dubia bothered by this, most roach keepers offer constant dog food(which I don't think is a good idea for a feeder colony) to boost colony growth. The higher protein kills them(I think) because of the uric acid overload. So a one time feeding shouldn't hurt the roaches as they seem to manage their stores pretty well, but regular feeding of it might be harmful to not only dubia(can't speak for other roaches), but the cham as well.

Ok, I am just going to throw a small handful in with other items. Won't be using it exclusively. Feeding dubia,red runners, and orange heads.

Seems to be only dubia bothered by this, most roach keepers offer constant dog food(which I don't think is a good idea for a feeder colony) to boost colony growth. The higher protein kills them(I think) because of the uric acid overload. So a one time feeding shouldn't hurt the roaches as they seem to manage their stores pretty well, but regular feeding of it might be harmful to not only dubia(can't speak for other roaches), but the cham as well.
Thanks for the info, don't want to pass any uric acid to the cham. I'll just throw a few in now & then for a little variety.

Back
Top Bottom