Check up on health

Pistachiochameleon

Established Member
  • Chameleon - female Veiled (pistachio) chameleon. Approx 1year -has never laid clutch

• Handling - Not often anymore. Usually just if I need to get her out of the cage for cleaning.

• Feeding - 5-8 crickets, 1-2 horn worms every 2 days. Gut loaded with carrots and veggies.

• Supplements - No D3 calcium every feed. Vitamin every couple feeds.

• Watering - Fogger for a couple hours every night when lights are off. Pressurized sprayer every day wake up and before bed.

• Fecal Description - Brown and white. Somtimes light yellow.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze 16x16x21 (looking to upgrade size)

• Lighting - Reptisun dome combo with a reg house bulb and a uv bulb. Reptisun t5 strip

• Temperature - Top of cage 78-80° bottom of cage 70-72°

• Humidity - 50-70%

• Plants - 1 hibiscus, 1 spider plant, 1 potros, 3 tilianisas

• Placement - In the corner of room. No traffic during the day.

• Location - Seattle Washington

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

• She is not perching on logs, less active than normal and constantly dark except for sleeping.

Please Note:
  1. Im concerned she is gravid? Not showing any signs except she seems larger than normal. Just concerned for overall health.

Attachments

• 2BB4597F-655F-4C3D-A38C-8293506801C4.jpeg
    2BB4597F-655F-4C3D-A38C-8293506801C4.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 998D2735-D10F-473B-A03F-489866520B11.jpeg
    998D2735-D10F-473B-A03F-489866520B11.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 801A7D05-293B-4E7D-A201-11E97F8EAC79.jpeg
    801A7D05-293B-4E7D-A201-11E97F8EAC79.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 65
This shed has also been lasting a week... her eyes kinda look sunk it. I’m keeping humidity high and feeding hornworms. I just don’t know why she seems off

What vitamin powder are you using? Does it have D3 or prEformed vitamin A in it? Beta carotene vitamin A?

Have you changed anything in her room that could be upsetting her?
Can she see any mirrors, reflections in anything?

The vitamin does have calcium w/d3. Also has vitamin A. Her room hasn’t changed. I keep the room at 65-67. But her cage temp has stayed the same. I’m really not in the room much.

It's recommended that the insects be dusted lightly just before feeding them to the chameleon at almost every feeding with a phos free calcium powder...and twice a month lightly with a phos free calciumD3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder with a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A.

What do you mean not perching on logs anymore? Is she sleeping during the day? Does she have an egglaying container in the cage?

I wouldn’t worry to much and you should consider yourself lucky you haven’t had to go throw egg laying with her yet. I’ve been throw 2 with mine already and it doesn’t get easier. When she’s ready to lay her body language will change a lot. Do you keep track of her weight? If not I would start it will also help you know if she’s developing a clutch. Get a kitchen gram scale. You can buy one on amazon for $10, I try to weigh my girl once a week

Also over hydrating your chameleon can Cause runny poop which can dehydrate the Chamaeleon. I seen you have green eco carpet at the bottom you should take that out and replace it with paper towel instead. Eco carpet holds a lot of bacteria

Does she have a lay bin already? I’m quite inexperienced, but I think she may be showing gravid coloration. Whether I’m right or wrong though, she should have a lay bin as a permanent part of her enclosure.

You do not want to up humidity in the day... 50-70% is high for a veiled you want it at 30-40% ideally but max 50%. I would replace the compact uvb with another low watt house hold bulb. Her vitamin if it contains D3 and A should only be given two times a month otherwise you risk overdose for both D3 and A.
What UVB strength is the T5 bulb and how long have you had it?

T5 is the Reptisun 10w I have had it for maybe 4 months now. She has a lay bin. I’m just worried she seems sick. I’ll try lowering the humidity.

I know you said you’re looking to upgrade the cage but at a year old in that tiny size enclosure you need to really get on that!

T5 is the Reptisun 10w I have had it for maybe 4 months now. She has a lay bin. I’m just worried she seems sick. I’ll try lowering the humidity.
How far away is her basking branch? and exactly what vitamin supplement are you using? I am more concerned that this is an overdose situation. Vitamin A and D3 are both fat soluble so they get stored in the body.

A 10.0 bulb is high in a single fixture. If her basking spot is within 7-8 inches of it then you need a 5.0 bulb or she will get much too high UVI level at basking.
Humidity has to be dropped back or the other concern is an RI. I agree she needs a cage upgrade the 16x16x30 is tiny for her but that would not be why she is not feeling well.

How far away is her basking branch? and exactly what vitamin supplement are you using? I am more concerned that this is an overdose situation. Vitamin A and D3 are both fat soluble so they get stored in the body.

A 10.0 bulb is high in a single fixture. If her basking spot is within 7-8 inches of it then you need a 5.0 bulb or she will get much too high UVI level at basking.
Humidity has to be dropped back or the other concern is an RI. I agree she needs a cage upgrade the 16x16x30 is tiny for her but that would not be why she is not feeling well.
Copy, thanks for the info. I will get rid of the second light. Can i raise the t5, her branch is about 6inches from the light

Copy, thanks for the info. I will get rid of the second light. Can i raise the t5, her branch is about 6inches from the light
No, you need to get a 5.0 so that you have the exact UVI levels she needs. Unless you have a solarmeter and can get exact readings for the UVI level in the cage when the fixture is raised there is no way to give you an approximate level without you having this tool. So the easiest way to correct the overexposure is to just buy a new 5.0 bulb and replaced the 10.0.

No, you need to get a 5.0 so that you have the exact UVI levels she needs. Unless you have a solarmeter and can get exact readings for the UVI level in the cage when the fixture is raised there is no way to give you an approximate level without you having this tool. So the easiest way to correct the overexposure is to just buy a new 5.0 bulb and replaced the 10.0.
Ok thanks

Back
Top Bottom