Check out this cool species of chams!

Their is a newer show that was on animal planet about Madagascars wildlife. Those chameleons were on there. Crazy little critters of how fast they mature, mate and then die. Awesome looking chams for sure

EDIT Sontiger is right. It was Nat Geo

giggle, I was going to post that you were probably right!!...animal planet!, now I gotta go look, since I recorded it!
anne

and you are! Animal Planet, I am happy to accept the correction!

oh cool.. im gonna have to hunt those shows down... and yeah it really is amazing. i mean weve all heard of mayfly's and their ilk having a long incubation period followed aby a very short and furious adult life, but i didnt actually think it was possible for vertabrates to complete a life-cycle this quickly.. simply amazing. the colours on that female left me speechless as well! it was almost like a midnight sky in a magical garden...

Well.. If my mind is correct. i've watched it on both channels! i've seen in 3 or 4 times now. Their is always something i forgot and need to be reminded of.

So... WERE BOTH RIGHT!!! :)

If I'm not mistaken the animal planet and nat geo just redubbed the BBC footage? I may well be wrong here but either way - David Attenborough is the man! No better wildlife presenter ever..........living legend doesn't do him justice...... here's some more (cham section starts at 3:50) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEGdmmaeJlE

wow they have 3 months to find a mate? and lay eggs? thats just crazy i bet something is messed up in thier gentics or something 5months? a cricket has a longer life span than that. i wonder if they have a longer life span in captivity?

one of the COOLest looking chameleons out there. ive heard about the life span too, which doesnt sound correct. is a FULL life documented or is it a field myth? could it be avoided if these were ever in captivity? :confused::confused:

oh.. more vids from the same site :D nothing we havent seen before this time (or me at least..lol) but still cool to watch. enjoy :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Chameleon#p00f816q

EDIT: dont watch the vid entitled clinging chameleons.. that guy is an actual bastard and deserves to be shot for the way he handles the cham in the tree..

While I agree that he shouldn't have handled a wild chameleon (particularly a non-aggressive one!) like that, sometimes this type of handling is needed for various reasons.

From what I understand, they aren't kept in captivity because of their short life, which is real.

You won't find them because they are CITES II and aren't permitted for export out of Madagascar.

that too! But I mean, when people attain permits to study/keep the animals in captivity, it didn't work out. Right? I think I remember reading that somewhere (or am I thinking of C. namaquensis?)

Back
Top Bottom