check out the project

Killjoy

Hi all, thought i would share my project with the forum,
im about half way there, i have the base i built a month ago and now converting to the specs i attached. The base will allow for 10 in of soil, 2 inches of gravel, then a 4 inch water basen at the bottom, with a valve to allow for clean out. I will post some more pics later of the base now and as i make progress. should be done by the end of next week hopefully. When this is all said and done, i will be able to pot the plants right to the floor of the enclosure. i am so sick of looking at pots. I feel like it takes away from the over all feel i will then cover the top soil with large smooth, nice looking stone. lemme know what you think. :D:D or if anyway has an enclosure like this and wants to share their expeirience with it that would be appreciated. thanks :)

Attachments

• IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0153.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 253
update of the project and a question.....

check out the progress.......
i was able to simplify my original plan by adding a shower tub liner for waterproofing and a drain into a bucket for occasional excess water from soil. i will post another thread once i add plants. let me know what you all think:D
also i have a question about soil.... i intend to cover the soil with large smooth rocks. is it still necessary to get compltely organic soil or is it cool to use standard potting soil?:confused:

Attachments

• newstand1.jpg
    newstand1.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 128
  • newstand2.jpg
    newstand2.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 138
  • newstand3.jpg
    newstand3.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 151
  • newstand4.jpg
    newstand4.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 131
  • newstand5.jpg
    newstand5.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 153
i intend to cover the soil with large smooth rocks. is it still necessary to get completely organic soil or is it cool to use standard potting soil?:confused:

I am wondering the same thing actually. Anyone out there that can answer this?

You should go with organic whenever possible. What you don't want is the soil that has fertilizer, if anything use regular dirt that has not been chemically treated. Chams are known to eat dirt and will find a way.

this is sweet. I just built a similar stand for my new enclosure and was thinking on doing something along these lines. This gives me good ideas.

Thanks for the post mate, it looks great :D

thanks,
i ended up picking up the organic soil instead.....
now this might be a crazy question, but is there any particular rock type that i should look for? i know to look for 4-6 inch smooth stone but is there anything else they are know as?:confused:
i also just picked up two 8 feet long pothos, i was able to score at the nursery for 14.99. :D
i will post as it all comes together. i love advice and suggestions from experienced people so feel free to critique. thanks

soil

look out for soil with anything in it like vermiculite (used to retain moisture in soil)
chams will eat the vermiculite and then it swells inside of them and then they cant pass it. that would be very not good.

I'm very glad to see someone else doing this. I have plans to do something very similar. I recently ordered a glass chameleon enclosure from Protean Terrariums (30" X 24" x 60") and I intend to have a real soil substrate with the plants permanently planted, like you're doing. I've been researching this for some time. One bit of advice I got from some experienced folks in Europe was to use some "natural" soil for the top-most layer - something you just dig out of some natural wooded land. That way it will contain some of the natural microbes and recycling arthropods that can keep things cleaner and can recycle occasional dead leaves and even some of the chameleon droppings. This is my plan, but you're several steps ahead of me. I still need to find a nice piece of furniture onto which to place the enclosure. And I've got to figure out some kind of backdrop for the back wall. Once I get the setup and make sure I have good plants and appropriate temps/humidity, I'll be ready to actually start shopping for a lizard!! :)

Hey very nice job! Love the black color with your moldings. They look very sharp! I am just finishing up a cage myself that is very similar. I am not using real plants inside the enclosure because my chameleon doesn't like a crowded leafy environment. He's so much more content with just vines a little foliage.

I have a drainage system in mine also; it's a very similar design as yours but I have the mistking, drainage pan, drainage reservoir, clean water reservoir, and timers hidden in the undercompartment. Here's a pic of mine that is very similar. I have more pics in my albums too. Again, great job and can't wait to see it finished!

full

Last edited by a moderator:
the rubber material that you line showers with to lock out moisture. I have been planning something similar to moviemanmania's setup... something that looks nice and clean, but houses a drainage/misting system along with all my other chameleon crap. right now its sitting an open wooden ikea shelf and doesnt look very clean.. christmas break from school I will whip something up thats for sure

Back
Top Bottom