Check out my idea for a cage design!

I too recommend Hardware Cloth. It's pretty cheap and way easier to deal with than window screen. It's very sturdy and you can make an entire cage out of it and it'll support itself, unlike the window screen. (I use it a lot). It's available at any hardware store (ACE, OSH, Home Depot...) It comes in just galvanized steel or with a Vinyl coating. I recommend that PVC/vinyl coated hardware cloth which adds a soft, rubberized layer that is easy on your chameleons feet. You can use either the 1/2"x1/2" or 1"x1/2" mesh. Both will work fine. They come in rolls. It usually comes in green, but you can find it in black if you're lucky. You can even use 4" zip ties to hold it all together and make a door for it. You just need a good pair of wire cutters and some work gloves.

I'd seriously check it out before you get that screening. It's way less of a headache. Good luck :)

Edit: Also, it's easier to hang things from the sides. For the back panel of my cage I hang pothos by it by drilling a 2 holes in the lip/rim of the plastic pot and just zip tie it to the mesh and let the vines hang down - some of the vines can even weave through the mesh which looks awesome!

This sounds great but I checked it out and a small roll of it was as much as the huge roll of window screening. Also, I am afraid that escapee feeder roaches could get through it. I bought the window screen and am stuck with it now- I am working on the cylinder- it is a pain to try to piece together. I am using small gauge wire and hot glue. I don't want my chams on the sides of the cage so I will probably cover them in vines.

This project is a lot of work but will be worth it!

Back
Top Bottom