Check My Setup??

allyson.nicole

Hey everyone, I just got a new panther chameleon last Sunday, and have been too busy to ask this up until now. Just wanted to make sure my setup and everything seems correct!!!

• Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, 11 months old (birthday 09/17/17) had for about a week
  • Handling - Every day, on his terms. I offer my hand or leave the cage door open for him to roam freely in a safe area.
  • Feeding - Crickets (size between the eyes), about 5 daily. He seems to only want to eat early in the morning. He has a new craving for superworms, so he has one every other day to keep him interested.
  • Supplements - Dust with calcium every other day, dust with calcium+D3 every 2 weeks (only done once so far :D )
  • Watering - Light mist spray bottle, only used with plants before. Misting about 5 times a day to try and keep the humidity up.
  • Fecal Description - Only seen him poop once, and that was Monday the 13th. He may have pooped since, but the cage is filled with dense plant material, so I may have missed it. The first poop matched the "normal" poop and urates, just no clear liquid present.
  • History - No problems that I'm aware of, came from a local breeder. (Chameleons4U)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Exo Terra ReptiBreeze 16x16x20 (temporary while I build a large enclosure)
  • Lighting - Flukers Sun Dome (10 inch I believe) with 75 watt bulb, Reptisun UVB 10.0 CF bulb (temporary for a few weeks till the large enclosure is built, unless I can find a cheap t5 fixture before then!!) 7AM- 10PM
  • Temperature - Infared temp gun, bottom is about 72 and basking spot is around 78-82 degrees. I'm worried this isn't high enough, I'm still trying to find the right height to hang the heat lamp at.
  • Humidity - Lowest: 40%, when I mist the cage as much as I should it typically stays around 60-75%
  • Plants - Live plants - 2 different pothos & an umbrella plant. Hoping to add ficus and/or hibiscus.
  • Placement - Near a fan, but blocked off from the draft. Roughly 4 feet above the ground.
  • Location - Cincinnati OH area.

Current Problem - He seems a little pale, not as vibrant as when I brought him home. I also have not seen him poop, which makes me paranoid. At night he starts to close his eyes, but opens them to sounds when I speak or open the cage door. Is he still just getting adjusted to the new lighting schedule? He drinks every morning when I mist the cage, eats most of his food, alert to touch and sound. Very friendly, loves to come out and perch on my head.

Feeding: At his age, you should be thinking about feeding only every other day. You'll want to make that change as he approaches 1 year of age, as he is.

Supplements: You should be using calcium without D3 at every feeding, not every other day. Also make sure you add a multivitamin twice a month as well, since that is missing from your current regimen

Cage type: How long is it going to take you to build this new cage? 16x16x20 is not even big enough for a juvenile.... This is not a suitable solution for temporary housing, I'm sorry to say. He needs more space if it's going to take more than a few days to build a properly sized enclosure

Lighting: Make sure to switch to a linear UVB bulb once you have your new setup up and running

Hey everyone, I just got a new panther chameleon last Sunday, and have been too busy to ask this up until now. Just wanted to make sure my setup and everything seems correct!!!

• Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, 11 months old (birthday 09/17/17) had for about a week
  • Handling - Every day, on his terms. I offer my hand or leave the cage door open for him to roam freely in a safe area.
  • Feeding - Crickets (size between the eyes), about 5 daily. He seems to only want to eat early in the morning. He has a new craving for superworms, so he has one every other day to keep him interested.
  • Supplements - Dust with calcium every other day, dust with calcium+D3 every 2 weeks (only done once so far :D )
  • Watering - Light mist spray bottle, only used with plants before. Misting about 5 times a day to try and keep the humidity up.
  • Fecal Description - Only seen him poop once, and that was Monday the 13th. He may have pooped since, but the cage is filled with dense plant material, so I may have missed it. The first poop matched the "normal" poop and urates, just no clear liquid present.
  • History - No problems that I'm aware of, came from a local breeder. (Chameleons4U)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Exo Terra ReptiBreeze 16x16x20 (temporary while I build a large enclosure)
  • Lighting - Flukers Sun Dome (10 inch I believe) with 75 watt bulb, Reptisun UVB 10.0 CF bulb (temporary for a few weeks till the large enclosure is built, unless I can find a cheap t5 fixture before then!!) 7AM- 10PM
  • Temperature - Infared temp gun, bottom is about 72 and basking spot is around 78-82 degrees. I'm worried this isn't high enough, I'm still trying to find the right height to hang the heat lamp at.
  • Humidity - Lowest: 40%, when I mist the cage as much as I should it typically stays around 60-75%
  • Plants - Live plants - 2 different pothos & an umbrella plant. Hoping to add ficus and/or hibiscus.
  • Placement - Near a fan, but blocked off from the draft. Roughly 4 feet above the ground.

Current Problem - He seems a little pale, not as vibrant as when I brought him home. I also have not seen him poop, which makes me paranoid. At night he starts to close his eyes, but opens them to sounds when I speak or open the cage door. Is he still just getting adjusted to the new lighting schedule? He drinks every morning when I mist the cage, eats most of his food, alert to touch and sound. Very friendly, loves to come out and perch on my head.

Cage Info:

Be sure

Cage Info:

Be sure that he has complete darkness at night, this may be why he seems to be waking up so much. He should have no light at night.

Back
Top Bottom