Check-in

Hey, folks!

I have had my male veiled for exactly 1 year, now. As of last month, I think he is a bit too thin. I also am having some severe anxiety over MBD, I really need some reassurance that it is ok, or a reality check. So I wanted to do a check-in with the more experienced keepers to ensure I am being held accountable. Photos below were taken in order posted. The photos of him feeding were taken on 2021-07-02. most recent photo of him shedding was taken yesterday.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled, 18mo
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? twice a week, at most
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? every 2 to 3 days, 5-7 gutloaded crickets with dandelion leaves, arugula, and apple. During the month of october I was not vigilant enough and sometimes he was only fed 2x a week.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? a few times a week I dust the crickets in calcium + d3. I think I was ignorant to not use calcium without D3 as the primary supplement. ordered some yesterday.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? reptibreeze mister, goes off 2x in morning and 2x in evening for 2min each. I have never seen him drink yet
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? poop each day, soft, dark brown with 1/4 white dropping. no, he has not been tested.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No, he was sent to me as a young, healthy cham, from chameleons galore (British Columbia, Canada)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? repti breeze, 18x18x36
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 100 halogen heat bulb for basking, reptisun 10% UVB T5 bulb, 15W
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? basking spot 83'f, ambient temp 70'f - 78'f
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? consistently 60%, a hygrometer.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? 2 live plants, pothos and spider plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? in my office, behind my desk. The table it sits on is 3 ft tall.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Interior of British Columbia, canada

Attachments

• 258718232_3098414230370939_7183678677440136862_n.jpg
    258718232_3098414230370939_7183678677440136862_n.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 254544307_454695479327057_4810712995059647593_n.jpg
    254544307_454695479327057_4810712995059647593_n.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 99
  • 255437813_677768273206828_8697113321614631837_n (1).jpg
    255437813_677768273206828_8697113321614631837_n (1).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 258342567_320759863213608_4365878625074135487_n.jpg
    258342567_320759863213608_4365878625074135487_n.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 256757581_425194142553591_8166572821316389001_n.jpg
    256757581_425194142553591_8166572821316389001_n.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 258174033_965096934357038_6128150525159321013_n.jpg
    258174033_965096934357038_6128150525159321013_n.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 103
  • 258308817_875231786520764_8196572342636838696_n.jpg
    258308817_875231786520764_8196572342636838696_n.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 258538363_1034454873998784_4092225527454252986_n.jpg
    258538363_1034454873998784_4092225527454252986_n.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 102
Hello and welcome,

I don´t see any direct indicator of MBD or that he´s too thin. He only looks small and pretty immature for his age. If you doubt about anything health related, an annual health check and fecal test for parasites can´t do any harm.
First impression, is pretty and healthy boy.

Hello and welcome,

I don´t see any direct indicator of MBD or that he´s too thin. He only looks small and pretty immature for his age. If you doubt about anything health related, an annual health check and fecal test for parasites can´t do any harm.
First impression, is pretty and healthy boy.
thank you so much - I dont know of any reputable reptile vets in vancouver BC.
Also, for context, I am an incredibly anxious person and I think a lot of my concern is just a symptom of my anxiety being so severe in the last 2 months (I am an autistic university student and my classes are quite busy this time of year).

Attachments

• 248061311_215739467205917_1669749716719947514_n.jpg
    248061311_215739467205917_1669749716719947514_n.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Hi! :) I do notice a few things in your husbandry that could be improved. I’ll put my feedback in red.

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? every 2 to 3 days, 5-7 gutloaded crickets with dandelion leaves, arugula, and apple. You could add more variety of feeders. Attaching feeder graphic below. Your gutload is good. During the month of october I was not vigilant enough and sometimes he was only fed 2x a week. I feed all of my chams every Monday, Wednesday and Friday to help remember. Then on weekends I’ll sometimes give flying treats of pupated bsfl or a silkworm if I bother them.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? a few times a week I dust the crickets in calcium + d3. I think I was ignorant to not use calcium without D3 as the primary supplement. ordered some yesterday. The calcium with D3 should only be given one feeding every other week. You’ll also want to use a multivitamin one feeding every other week. Is best to alternate them…week 1&3, calcium with D3, week 2&4, multivitamin. A great multivitamin is Reptivite but get the one without D3. Then every feeding you’ll want to use a calcium without D3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? reptibreeze mister, goes off 2x in morning and 2x in evening for 2min each. I have never seen him drink yet Many chameleons are secretive about drinking. It sucks as I think it’s really cute.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? poop each day, soft, dark brown with 1/4 white dropping. no, he has not been tested. Sounds good. It’s always a good idea to have a fecal check for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No, he was sent to me as a young, healthy cham, from chameleons galore (British Columbia, Canada)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? repti breeze, 18x18x36 This is a bit small for him. I’d suggest upgrading to a 2x2x4’ or even larger.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 100 halogen heat bulb for basking, reptisun 10% UVB T5 bulb, 15W Perfect!
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? basking spot 83'f, ambient temp 70'f - 78'f Perfect!
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? consistently 60%, a hygrometer. A bit high. Ideal during the day is between 30-50%. Is your hygrometer digital or analog? Often analog is not very accurate.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? 2 live plants, pothos and spider plant Perfect again!
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? in my office, behind my desk. The table it sits on is 3 ft tall. Good. Height means feeling safe for chams.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Interior of British Columbia, canada
So just a few things to improve on. The biggest is the supplements. I don’t see any signs of mbd in him and he looks to be a good weight. You’ve got this!
Having chameleons does bring out the anxiety, but I try to think of it as a positive thing to keep me on my toes about my chams well being. Get comfortable in front of your guys enclosure, take some deep breaths and just take in his beauty and the beautiful natural space that you’ve created for him.
Btw, I love the joy in your eyes as you’re holding him. 💗
A9F49B7A-A8DD-46B4-9DB6-01461DE9E1A9.jpeg

Also for context - i am an incredibly anxious person. And I am autistic.
I am very anxious person too. Serve anxiety. & my cham always stresses me out lol. I think it's good you came to check. He's very cute! & I agree. He just looks like a runt. Lol but healthy.

Skittles gave you some wonderful tips! Then you'll be on the right track. Deep breathes! You got this!

thank you so much - I dont know of any reputable reptile vets in vancouver BC.
Also, for context, I am an incredibly anxious person and I think a lot of my concern is just a symptom of my anxiety being so severe in the last 2 months (I am an autistic university student and my classes are quite busy this time of year).
You´re doing all great and the best is you came to here and here you´ll get the icing on the cake to take away your anxiousness ✌️

Hi! :) I do notice a few things in your husbandry that could be improved. I’ll put my feedback in red.

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? every 2 to 3 days, 5-7 gutloaded crickets with dandelion leaves, arugula, and apple. You could add more variety of feeders. Attaching feeder graphic below. Your gutload is good. During the month of october I was not vigilant enough and sometimes he was only fed 2x a week. I feed all of my chams every Monday, Wednesday and Friday to help remember. Then on weekends I’ll sometimes give flying treats of pupated bsfl or a silkworm if I bother them.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? a few times a week I dust the crickets in calcium + d3. I think I was ignorant to not use calcium without D3 as the primary supplement. ordered some yesterday. The calcium with D3 should only be given one feeding every other week. You’ll also want to use a multivitamin one feeding every other week. Is best to alternate them…week 1&3, calcium with D3, week 2&4, multivitamin. A great multivitamin is Reptivite but get the one without D3. Then every feeding you’ll want to use a calcium without D3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? reptibreeze mister, goes off 2x in morning and 2x in evening for 2min each. I have never seen him drink yet Many chameleons are secretive about drinking. It sucks as I think it’s really cute.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? poop each day, soft, dark brown with 1/4 white dropping. no, he has not been tested. Sounds good. It’s always a good idea to have a fecal check for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? repti breeze, 18x18x36 This is a bit small for him. I’d suggest upgrading to a 2x2x4’ or even larger.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 100 halogen heat bulb for basking, reptisun 10% UVB T5 bulb, 15W Perfect!
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? basking spot 83'f, ambient temp 70'f - 78'f Perfect!
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? consistently 60%, a hygrometer. A bit high. Ideal during the day is between 30-50%. Is your hygrometer digital or analog? Often analog is not very accurate.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? 2 live plants, pothos and spider plant Perfect again!
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? in my office, behind my desk. The table it sits on is 3 ft tall. Good. Height means feeling safe for chams.
So just a few things to improve on. The biggest is the supplements. I don’t see any signs of mbd in him and he looks to be a good weight. You’ve got this!
Having chameleons does bring out the anxiety, but I try to think of it as a positive thing to keep me on my toes about my chams well being. Get comfortable in front of your guys enclosure, take some deep breaths and just take in his beauty and the beautiful natural space that you’ve created for him.
View attachment 315054
Yes! exactly what I meant when I said I was ignorant to supplements - a friend of mine offhandledly said the D3 calcium is fine as the primary supplement. I read on here to only use it once a week and regular cal the rest o the time, but disregarded it. I forgot to mention he gets a small horn worm every second week, and I bring him outside in summers to catch insects in his basking plant (a small ficus reww in a pot).
Any reccomendations for dubia roaches in bc/canada? theyre illegal for the right reasons - but I wouldnt mind a tub in my basment. Im studying ecology atm so I would take containment of them very seriously.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
View attachment 315054
Im also really excited to share that the cabinet his reptibreeze currently sits in will be converted to an enclosure next january. itsabout over 3x2x4 feet. ordered the screen for it last week.

Last edited:
Yes! exactly what I meant when I said I was ignorant to supplements - a friend of mine offhandledly said the D3 calcium is fine as the primary supplement. I read on here to only use it once a week and regular cal the rest o the time, but disregarded it. I forgot to mention he gets a small horn worm every second week, and I bring him outside in summers to catch insects in his basking plant (a small ficus reww in a pot).
Any reccomendations for dubia roaches in bc/canada? theyre illegal for the right reasons - but I wouldnt mind a tub in my basment. Im studying ecology atm so I would take containment of them very seriously.
Over-supplementing especially with D3 can make your cham pretty sick, check this blog https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/d3-poisoning.2401/ for some background information.

Like I said, you´ll get here your finishing touch in terms of husbandry ;). So you can worry free enjoy cham

I feel silly - I just looked into my emails to find is actually 13 months old, and I have only had him for 10 months as of posting this. I don't know why I said "exactly a year" without actually checking. He was born in october of 2020, and I received him in january of 2021. Is he the right size for less than 16 months?

Last edited:
My girl has the same age and size, and he might be slow grower, most important he´s healthy. We seen more chams here that are smaller then normal for reasons unknown, but they´re all healthy and that´s what matters ✌️

Personally seeing his colours and cask, he looks younger then 16 months, but I lack real experience and just refer to posts and pictures I´ve seen here.

My girl has the same age and size, and he might be slow grower, most important he´s healthy. We seen more chams here that are smaller then normal for reasons unknown, but they´re all healthy and that´s what matters ✌️

Personally seeing his colours and cask, he looks younger then 16 months, but I lack real experience and just refer to posts and pictures I´ve seen here.
he is younger than 16 months; being13 months. I wrote a correction above because I realized my emails would have tell me when I actually got him and when he hatched. *facepalm*

i am looking at photos and he does seem quite small for over a year. I hope his new enclosure makes a difference.
🤞🤞 who knows maybe he catches up. Good thing is you ordered the large enclosure, they just deserve that extra space. May I give you one more advice, while you´re going to build his new enclosure. Ditch that Exo Terra vine, by time they can do harm to your cham, because the coating come loose and when he rubs (the do that sometimes during or before shedding) those small pieces can get in their eyes and cause infection. Best would be, now already, to find some good branches outside and let them dry inside or check a local florist for decoration branches. All 3 my cages got real branches I cut of trees in my garden, makes it cool effect and saves money.

Here some inspiration https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/low-budget-enclosure-setup.2462/

🤞🤞 who knows maybe he catches up. Good thing is you ordered the large enclosure, they just deserve that extra space. May I give you one more advice, while you´re going to build his new enclosure. Ditch that Exo Terra vine, by time they can do harm to your cham, because the coating come loose and when he rubs (the do that sometimes during or before shedding) those small pieces can get in their eyes and cause infection. Best would be, now already, to find some good branches outside and let them dry inside or check a local florist for decoration branches. All 3 my cages got real branches I cut of trees in my garden, makes it cool effect and saves money.

Here some inspiration https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/low-budget-enclosure-setup.2462/
I have access to SO MUCH diftwood! thank you for describing the risk of exoterra vine - I had no idea. I just hauled like 30 lbs home from a trip i took to the sunshine coast in sept. Ill be using that after boiling it.

Back
Top Bottom