Cheap temporary alternatives to mist king?

lurker9090

I wont be able to be home at the specific times for misting in a little but dont have enough money saved up for a mist king yet. Any cheap amazon alternatives that can be hooked up to a timer?

Also I had one before for a different animal but the motor was SO LOUD, it always scared me and the gecko, so does anyone know of quieter ones?
Thanks!

I hand mist so I’m no help. I have looked and most misters are pretty stinking close to the price of a mist king.

I hand mist so I’m no help. I have looked and most misters are pretty stinking close to the price of a mist king.
I am going back to hand misting after my MistKing’s pump outlet failure. It was leaking A LOT when the pump kicked on. Fresh and straight cut on the tubing and fully inserted so no operator error here. Definitely don’t want that happening near electrical cords. I generally use it when I’m away but man that makes me nervous to leave home and think about 5 gallons spurting on cords. Noooo thank you.

I don’t like that the pump is designed to sit lower than the reservoir. Any issue with the pump could cause the entire reservoir to drain out.

I wont be able to be home at the specific times for misting in a little but dont have enough money saved up for a mist king yet. Any cheap amazon alternatives that can be hooked up to a timer?

Also I had one before for a different animal but the motor was SO LOUD, it always scared me and the gecko, so does anyone know of quieter ones?
Thanks!

This is what I am using. $80 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TZV31LH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This works because it has 'strength' dial so that you can dial in how intense the misting is. I believe mine is set to half or 3/4. I am at work right now, so I forget. I've tried both.

I use it in a specific way though (through trial and error), because the timer has dialed presets for how long to mist(2,4,8,12,16,30,60,120 seconds), and how often to mist (0, 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 16, 24 hours), which is very inconvenient IMO (can't set a schedule to half over before, and half hour after lights off!), I actually use a wifi outlet to control the mister.

When the cycle is left at '0', the mister will run continuously. Forever. It will never stop. So what I do is, I leave it on that setting and use the wifi outlet to time when to allow it to turn on, then when to have it turn off.

This allows me to have my mister come on for 2 minutes from 7:30pm to 7:32pm. And then again at 1:00am to 1:02am. And then again at 6:30am to 6:32pm. This would not be possible with the timer on the unit itself. So again, I am bypassing all of that. keeping it at 0 to run continuously, and setting the 'power' of the mist accordingly, based on the readings I get the next morning on my humidity throughout the night.

This is the outlet timer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B8YQF7L4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep in mind this outlet timer only works in whole minute increments. So if you want to run your mister for 1 min 30 seconds, you can not do that. It works for me because I like to run a solid 2 minutes for each misting. But there are plenty of other wifi outlets on amazon and I am sure others would let you do shorter increments.

REMEMBER: If you use outline timers, make sure you change their 'default state' to 'remember last status' (or something similar if you use different plugs). This is important because if your power goes out, then comes back on, you do NOT want your mister to just turn on and stay on forever until you can fix it. I had this issue and and quickly corrected it lol.

edit: I'd also like to mention that for $80, not only is this mister working great for me, but it comes with it's own tank. It's not very large. But it works well. I only have to replenish the water every few days. So I'd say twice a week at most. If you need to mist more than me, you may be looking at 3 times a week. I can't imagine you'd have to mist that much more. I also supplement this with a fogger from 1am-6am (reptizoo fogger).

Last edited:
This is what I am using. $80 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TZV31LH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This works because it has 'strength' dial so that you can dial in how intense the misting is. I believe mine is set to half or 3/4. I am at work right now, so I forget. I've tried both.

I use it in a specific way though (through trial and error), because the timer has dialed presets for how long to mist(2,4,8,12,16,30,60,120 seconds), and how often to mist (0, 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 16, 24 hours), which is very inconvenient IMO (can't set a schedule to half over before, and half hour after lights off!), I actually use a wifi outlet to control the mister.

When the cycle is left at '0', the mister will run continuously. Forever. It will never stop. So what I do is, I leave it on that setting and use the wifi outlet to time when to allow it to turn on, then when to have it turn off.

This allows me to have my mister come on for 2 minutes from 7:30pm to 7:32pm. And then again at 1:00am to 1:02am. And then again at 6:30am to 6:32pm. This would not be possible with the timer on the unit itself. So again, I am bypassing all of that. keeping it at 0 to run continuously, and setting the 'power' of the mist accordingly, based on the readings I get the next morning on my humidity throughout the night.

This is the outlet timer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B8YQF7L4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep in mind this outlet timer only works in whole minute increments. So if you want to run your mister for 1 min 30 seconds, you can not do that. It works for me because I like to run a solid 2 minutes for each misting. But there are plenty of other wifi outlets on amazon and I am sure others would let you do shorter increments.

REMEMBER: If you use outline timers, make sure you change their 'default state' to 'remember last status' (or something similar if you use different plugs). This is important because if your power goes out, then comes back on, you do NOT want your mister to just turn on and stay on forever until you can fix it. I had this issue and and quickly corrected it lol.

edit: I'd also like to mention that for $80, not only is this mister working great for me, but it comes with it's own tank. It's not very large. But it works well. I only have to replenish the water every few days. So I'd say twice a week at most. If you need to mist more than me, you may be looking at 3 times a week. I can't imagine you'd have to mist that much more. I also supplement this with a fogger from 1am-6am (reptizoo fogger).
Great idea with the outlet timer as a workaround. Does it produce a fine mist? How’s the sound and vibration?

As for the small reservoir, I would take the top off and hot glue it or zip tie it to the lid of a 5 gallon bucket. Just feed the tube through a hole in the lid. Maybe put some foam between the unit and the lid to reduce vibration.

Great idea with the outlet timer as a workaround. Does it produce a fine mist? How’s the sound and vibration?

As for the small reservoir, I would take the top off and hot glue it or zip tie it to the lid of a 5 gallon bucket. Just feed the tube through a hole in the lid. Maybe put some foam between the unit and the lid to reduce vibration.

You can control how fine of a mist you'd like. It can be very fine and quiet. I use it at usually either half or 3/4 strength and the sound is just fine (definitely does not bother Spike.... but I definitely DO hear it if I am near the enclosure). It is a very subtle sound. I can try to record video tonight with sound, if I remember.

I thought about using a bigger reservoir but .... I am also paranoid and I kind of like keeping the water "moving" by replenishing it more often tbh. But from what I understand, many on here use big buckets like this, so this would probably work just fine! I am just a psycho lunatic chameleon keeper 🤓🙃

This is the one I've been using for about two months now - it's been doing great and the cost is reasonable. FWIW the pump on this can be mounted above your rezzy. It will pull from about 2-3' above without problem. Mine is probably 1' or so above the top of a 5gal rezzy.

https://www.amazon.com/Moistenland-Enabled-Terrariums-Tortoise-Aquarium/dp/B0BXGYL8GW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=BE02LJDJIHC1&keywords=reptile+mister&qid=1697466759&sprefix=reptile+mister,aps,178&sr=8-5&th=1

Using this one as well. Reasonable price and really love that it can be controlled from the phone - so you always know if anything goes wrong even if you are not at home

This is the one I've been using for about two months now - it's been doing great and the cost is reasonable. FWIW the pump on this can be mounted above your rezzy. It will pull from about 2-3' above without problem. Mine is probably 1' or so above the top of a 5gal rezzy.

https://www.amazon.com/Moistenland-Enabled-Terrariums-Tortoise-Aquarium/dp/B0BXGYL8GW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=BE02LJDJIHC1&keywords=reptile+mister&qid=1697466759&sprefix=reptile+mister,aps,178&sr=8-5&th=1
I just came to link this one too. I have my reservoir like 5ft below and it does a good job. I figured if that burns the motor it’s cheap enough.

Sp what I did is I tapped a line into my fridge waterline, that connected to a house filtration system. Then ran this line into a timer, a shutoff valve and then around my ceiling of both chameleon room (living room n guest room) then I just tapped lines onto that line where ever needed above the different enclosures. It's super great. I just handmist if needed on the young ones, but my system NEVER fails, goes off 4x2min.

Sp what I did is I tapped a line into my fridge waterline, that connected to a house filtration system. Then ran this line into a timer, a shutoff valve and then around my ceiling of both chameleon room (living room n guest room) then I just tapped lines onto that line where ever needed above the different enclosures. It's super great. I just handmist if needed on the young ones, but my system NEVER fails, goes off 4x2min.
That’s impressive!!

Seriously??? This is incredible :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh I might do this. My hubby is a plumber and his skills will come in handed for this 😍

What other Jedi Mastery can you teach us?

Back
Top Bottom