Chandler Bing's adult enclosure build

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have gotten past the point of making a design for Chandler's adult enclosure and have started to acquire material to build it. Mainly just missing the 2"×2" pieces of wood that will be used for it.

Currently my design is for a 5' tall cage on an integrated 18" stand that is 30" wide and 24" deep. I will be using aluminum window screen for the top and sides. The door which will meet with the top of the basin, will have angled edges on the inside that correspond to an angled piece in the doorframe area of the enclosure, resulting in the door appearing to be part of the frame of enclosure rather than separate. The hinges for the door will be flush mounted and to ensure the enclosure is prey item escape proof, I am going to use foam tape with adhesive only on one side to ensure that the angled perimeter of the door seals.

The bottom 8" of the cage part will be made into a basin that the screen from the sides is attached to on the inside perimeter of the basin so that any water droplets on the screen will collect in the basin. The basin area will be covered in the same material used on counter tops to ensure an easily cleanable surface. The bottom of the basin will also be given a low angle to one corner of the cage so a screened drain can be installed to ensure drainage of the water that collects in the enclosure.

The enclosure will also be heavily foliaged and will feature a MistKing, possibly two basking areas and a dual bulb T5 HO fixture with a 12% Arcadia bulb and a 6500K bulb installed in it purchased from light your reptiles. This is the one: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/30...ure-with-arcadia-12-and-6-5k-day-light-bulbs/

I know that some would not recommend a 12% Arcadia bulb, but I have talked with Todd, @Venutus1, about which bulb would be best to use for this setup. Since it will be heavily foliaged and the fixture itself will be mounted on the outside of the screen, he recommended the 12%, this is also due to the size of the enclosure. The wood in the cage will all be sealed so that it will not be damaged by water and to give the build a finished look, all corners of the enclosure where the screen will obviously be cut and leave a rough edge will be finished off using pieces of 90° moldings.

I would like to build a deeper and taller enclosure, however do to requiring 18" of storage underneath for chameleon care related supplies, I can't build it any taller than 8' total due to the height of my ceiling, hence the enclosure part will be 5' tall to ensure that there is still enough clearance and space for proper and safe operation and ventilation of the lights. I also cannot easily make the cage wider as I only have about 33" of space between the edge of my bed and the door of my closet. Also due to the cage being beside my bed, making it more than 2' deep would cause issues for accessing my bed as it lifts up as seen in the picture.
15140634137931153258337.jpg
15140633866141037277272.jpg

I will update this thread with pictures as construction of the enclosure progresses.

Last edited:
Honestly, it is really nice to have if you want storage and a large bed, but you have a small room. It has the equivalent space underneath the bed as some hatchbacks have. Plus it keeps your stuff hidden from view. I have to admit it's an Ikea bedframe, a Malm storage bed. And Happy Holidays to you too!

Well, I finally started on the cage today, was delayed in starting on it due to my roll of screen being delivered to the wrong address originally.

There was also some design changes to the cage that not only made it easier to build, but also ensure that the cage was more easily made escape proof for feeders.

Anyways, here are the progress pictures from today.

20180108_141056.jpg
20180108_142435.jpg
20180108_143335.jpg
20180108_151530.jpg
20180108_152528.jpg
20180108_153947.jpg
20180108_154822.jpg
20180108_160514.jpg
20180108_162034.jpg

Last edited:
Meanwhile, in the week leading up to today, Chandler has been feigning a hunger strike, where he pretends to eat no food at all but I've woken up every morning to the characteristic sound of a cricket getting munched on.

It's coming along! Anxious to see the finished project!

Is the floor with the drain in it on a slight angle to drain water towards the drain? Are. You planning on using a substrate?

The entire floor is sloped to the corner with the drain, and there won't be any substrate, the bottom is designed that way so that any water that collects on the posts or the screen will be directed to the drain. The final design will have a bead of silicone running along wherever the screen meets an edge to ensure that the enclosure is escape proof for prey items as well as direct any water that beads up on the screen into the drainage basin.

Also wondering out of curiosity if a chameleon will refuse to eat if they think their enclosure is too small, as Chandler is eating, just not as well as I would like him to, instead he prefers to roam about his cage at Mach one, climbing the sides and top of it. I know he is parasite free and his UVB light was replaced in December, and his calcium isn't an issue either. He just seems to be more interested in roaming than eating currently.

Bottom is sealed and drain will be installed tomorrow morning, cage will be moved from my parents to my apartment tomorrow evening and Chandler will be moving in.

Well, there was a small leak in the bottom which has been sealed and a needed to correct the angle on the bottom slightly to allow proper drainage. Also in the process of revamping the drain as upon install, some of the screen got covered in sealant, I plan on solving this using a 1/16" drill bit.

Back
Top Bottom