Chams eat mice?

wo

OK , if that rant was directed at me, I never said i planned on feeding my cham mice. In fact i stated several postings ago I planned on sticking to bugs and plant stuff. I have no intention of feeding my Camo mice, ever. I simply started the thread becuase I saw the video and thought it was interesting because I wasn't aware that chams ate ANYTHING other than bugs and plants. I wanted to know if this was a regular occurance or if that cham just enjoyed mouse.
Thats all.

OK , if that rant was directed at me, I never said i planned on feeding my cham mice. In fact i stated several postings ago I planned on sticking to bugs and plant stuff. I have no intention of feeding my Camo mice, ever. I simply started the thread becuase I saw the video and thought it was interesting because I wasn't aware that chams ate ANYTHING other than bugs and plants. I wanted to know if this was a regular occurance or if that cham just enjoyed mouse.
Thats all.

No that rant was certainly not directed at you, which is why I edited it to designate recipients. I was merely answering your original question at the same time. I knew you weren't planning on it, just giving my two cents on the issue since others will read this thread later. :)

I'm sorry I just saw the post above me seriously? Lol it's nature....u don't have any problem feeding insects to ur cham do u? Are those not a living thing? Oh wait only cute creatures matter. And what's the difference between feeding live and killing it then eating it....the end result is the same. Maybe u should just try having a bunny they are vegetarians I mean chams are way to vicious hell they are canabalistic they would eat their own children givin the opportunity.

your post's suggest you are new to chameleons and need to do more research. not all eat offspring and not all eat other lizards or for the fact birds or small mammals. you have an opinion i have mine. just sayin

New?

New to forums yes new to chams no do not speak of what you do not know. Also iv done plenty of research and I know from keeping them that some chameleons will eat vertebrates and some won't. I'm just betting that a hungry wild chameleon would eat anything that would fit in his mouse seing as how many captive chams do as well. Oh and since they don't and u seem so confident how about u stick a Bby cham in with a mellers and tell me how that works out for u. I'm saying that they have the ability and some use that ability to feast on smaller animals not saying all do just saying they are capable and do sometimes. So it seems you are the one who needs to do the research and stop claiming to KNOW something u couldn't possible know unless u interviewed every wild cham lol again I said it was possible I didn't say anything was a fact. Also like I said I bet u wouldn't stick a Bby cham in with it's parent just saying lol

New to forums yes new to chams no do not speak of what you do not know. Also iv done plenty of research and I know from keeping them that some chameleons will eat vertebrates and some won't. I'm just betting that a hungry wild chameleon would eat anything that would fit in his mouse seing as how many captive chams do as well. Oh and since they don't and u seem so confident how about u stick a Bby cham in with a mellers and tell me how that works out for u. I'm saying that they have the ability and some use that ability to feast on smaller animals not saying all do just saying they are capable and do sometimes. So it seems you are the one who needs to do the research and stop claiming to KNOW something u couldn't possible know unless u interviewed every wild cham lol again I said it was possible I didn't say anything was a fact. Also like I said I bet u wouldn't stick a Bby cham in with it's parent just saying lol

look guy re read your post of THEY"chameleons" will eat off spring and such. now re read my post where i say "not all". re read and comprehend. much more to point out to you but clearly its useless.

Yeah what

I said they do because some will I didn't say every chameleon will. Did I? What r u saying?

NWD, a baby cham is not akin to an adult mouse, a bird, a fish, or a cheeseburger.
Youtube idiots and captivity are not valid examples.
The point being pressed is that much beyond a species own young, or another cham species young, is not a natural menu item for a chameleon, despite the fact that nature might toss up such opportunities from time to time.
Exceptions to the rule in nature are not akin to good captive husbandry.
The OP asked specifically in regards to his/her veiled. Its been explained that the occasional pinky wont kill it, but also that its not considered a suitable part of a veileds diet, in general.
Just agree to disagree, open a can of budwieser and chill dude, lifes too short! :)

Yeah I agree with that post

I never anywhere said that they are normal part of diet I just said they have the ability and like u said I'm sure their has been opportunities in nature. I didn't ever advocate that one should include pinkies as a part of their normal diet I even said I don't ever feed my chams mice. I was just saying it's not a big deal if someone chooses to donthat on occasion.
Also the only reason this forum got alighty malicious is because someone had to instead of having a nice debate had to insult someone elses experience.

New thread.

Can someone with experience go to the health clinic and find the blackish eye thread by me and take a look? no one has responded :(

This discussion has gone on way too long without anyone bringing up the health effects caused by using mice, regardless of the ethics involved. Chameleons are not carnivores, they are insectivores. A diet too high in animal proteins (from pinkies or dog/cat food gutload) leads to kidney failure and gout (which is very painful and potentially fatal) because they are not supposed to have them. Some veileds like to eat veggies (collard greens, mustard greens, etc.) so you could use those for variety if that's what you're looking for. My guy loves his veggies and runs over to eat them almost immediately. Or you can try silkworms, hornworms, butterwrms, superworms, (not mealworms), dubia roaches, or mantises. All of those are good feeders for variety. Stick to bugs and greens! If you are gutloading properly and providing adequate UVB you will get WAY more calcium that way than feeding an occasional mouse that will have far more detrimental effects than any other feeder with similar calcium levels. There is absolutely no reason to use mice or other vertebrates for insectivores in my opinion.

You can find evidence of people feeding pinkies on the internet (of course, what can't you find on the internet?!), but who's to say they have any idea what they're doing at all? Their chams may die a few months afterward from everything else that's probably wrong with their husbandry practices too. Pinkies/mice do not offer benefits, only risks. It's definitely not recommended.
i have to partially disagree with you. though i truly believe the cons are much higher than than the pros, and i do not recommend using pinkies/fuzzies for enjoyment or 'just because', among other things. Chameleons are not carnivores, they are omnivores by nature, and insectivores by captivity. Though i agree that high protein and fat levels bring more than risk, but rather fatalities and life threats, are you to say you wouldn't do what is best the natural way if you were treating a malnourished, underweight, or vitamin deficient chameleon, or would you rather use a vet prescripted drug or supplement?

would you not let a female benefit once during gestation or once after egg laying?

there are pros, i used to think nothing but cons before, but over time thinking changes.

I thought anoles would be fun pets to have also so i bought a male and female green anole and had a big cage with a screen top and everything.... then the next day the male got out and was hanging on my celining which i had to chase down for half an hour then two days later they both mysteriously got out and it took me forevor to catch them. I have no idea how they were getting out..... but they did. Then one night while i was sleeping the male decided it was gonna sleep with me.... all in all it was not a fun night. I've had crickets sleep with me a fruitflies crawl over me at night.... but this anole was soooo sticky! Its feet were sticking to me and ahh! Not fun... so when my chameleon went on a hunger strike i decided amy would be a good treat for her... ya no more anoles for me....

ok so let me get this straight

what some of you are saying is that the little lizards i have running around here in florida are ok the give my Amelia as a treat now and then and that they are good for her????

Sooo.....
Reading through this thread, while comprehending the cons of pinkies (it would be as close to newborn as possible in my case) I was considering adding the rare pinkie as a calcium boost after last night's reading made me aware that I was potentially misinformed when originally told one day/week of vitamin powder and one day/week calcium powder was adequate. Being concerned that I *might* have put her at risk of underfeeding calcium, and coming across pinkies in a list of food items for chams, I wanted to see what everyone here had to say about the idea.
So, the thought may be tabled for the time being, or at least until the next litter.
Here is a picture of her from a couple days ago. Yes, she's a wee bit colored, learning to drink by hand
IMG_20200208_193923.jpg

I suggest posting a new thread instead of bringing up an nine year old one.
I plan on it, however - all due respect to the above pages and posters, combined with previous experience in forums, I researched the query before 'reinventing the wheel'. I didn't want to raise a question without doing my research first.
Although it does raise the question... with the debate, and possible complications with the feeding of the pinkies, of those that fed nine years ago - did they have issues in the long run? Has more research come about in the last nine years that either supports or debunks the dietary attributes?
Inquiring minds want to know...

Back
Top Bottom