Chameleons TOO in love?

Han0915

Hey all,

So my female panther became receptive to my male a few days back, and because I messed up her age (she's actually 11-12 months, not 10 months. was going to wait to breed her otherwise), I decided to go ahead and breed her since I believe she's already gone through an infertile clutch with her former owner.

So I introduced her to my male and within minutes, they began breeding. 20-30 minutes pass, they're done and take a break.... then round two starts. I had been talking to my breeder friend and he recommended I take her out after the 2nd breeding, so I went ahead and did that. All day, they were both trying to get out and get to eachother but I ignored it. Next day, same behavior continues and they both are obsessing about it, so I figure I'll let them hang out until the female doesn't want to anymore. 2 more breedings take place, and they STILL want to hang out and be with eachother but I've split them up again thinking she can't possibly breed anymore....

It's a few days later and they both still want to be with other. She's still pink and trying to get out of her cage, which shes never done before until now. She actually wants to be in the same cage with him... neither are displaying aggression and they actively run at eachother when given the chance. Should I just.... let them be with one another until the female actively shows non-receptive colors? I feel terrible that my poor male is in such stress that he won't even eat. He is constantly falling in his cage as a result of him trying to climb all over the place to get out. I'm just trying to think what will be less stressful to both of them.

Covering the cage doesn't help either, they both know where their cages are and still try to claw their way out. They're both across the room from one another but I guess they're smart enough to still know eachother's location even when they can't see.

Any suggestions? I feel soooo bad for them especially the male. He is in agony it seems and is beyond stressed out, even when I bring him out of his cage his only goal is to crawl to her. She's a little stressed too since she bolts of our her cage when given the chance, and runs to him. When they're both together however, he relaxes, goes to his content colors (not his overly excited colors) and she remains peach color but very calm, and eats well when he's near. Is... this normal behavior?

Okay so I caved after listening to my male cham go nuts all day long literally clawing through the mesh and actually falling multiple times lol. I introduced her again to him, and she ran towards him almost right on his face LOL. They're now just hanging out and my male is FINALLY at peace. He does the head bob every now and then, but he's not going after her to breed. I think he's just happy she's .... there now... and she seems happy as well?I have the door wide open if she wants to leave and am watching their every move but she doesn't indicate she wants to leave. I mean a non-receptive aggressive female wouldn't willingly run into a males cage almost on his actual body lol. I'm wondering if I had removed them too early the first day and should have left them together overnight... maybe they didn't get enough breeding in or something? They have bred 4 times total so I kinda thought that was enough but I did separate her even when she was still showing receptive colors both times. Is it possible she's remaining receptive because the former breedings weren't successful?

I honestly have no idea but I truly hope my poor little guy will be okay when she leaves him again tomorrow. I'm 100% believing I got a real life Romeo and Juliet situation going on here that I kind of hope ends very soon lmao. Hopefully the mama will tell him off eventually so he can go back to living his normal life... if that's how things in the chameleon relationship world works. :p

I think once my little guy gets his new cage finished, he will totally forget about her LOL. It's 90% done, just need to sand it down, seal it, and assemble the frames. He's got a 2x2x5 mansion on his way. :) Hope that stops his everyday desire to get out of the cage, otherwise not sure what I'm gonna do about that lol.

Last edited:
Keep an eye on them if you're leaving them together because she will take on gravid colors and then reject him and if he doesn't listen she will bite him if he comes near her. Take him out for sure as soon as she turns gravid colors.

Keep an eye on them if you're leaving them together because she will take on gravid colors and then reject him and if he doesn't listen she will bite him if he comes near her. Take him out for sure as soon as she turns gravid colors.

Absolutely will do! The cage is actually right by my bed, and I'm now working at home fully due to the quarantine. My spy game will be top notch! :p They are asleep on separate levels of the cage and I'll be monitoring as soon as they're awake. They actually bred again after a couple hours, before their lights turned off... then they separated to go sleep, haha. Going to be interesting today to see how they act, but regardless of if she's still receptive... I'm probably going to remove her for the last and final time since I still don't know if housing them is a good idea (housing until the female starts showing gravid colors and all). Not sure if it's recommended to let them breed on their own accord until the females ready to be removed, or control the situation and remove her after the first session. This is my intro into the breeding game so I still have a lot to learn, and just wanna make sure I'm doing everything correctly! Not sure what's best in this situation since it's been causing a lot of stress on both of them when I removed her. Kind of confused honestly so I'm just experimenting at this point haha.

I hope you read up on babies, and be prepared to keep them..people are not really spending money on luxuries right now

Back
Top Bottom