Chameleons in the garage

Alejandro17

I have two of my 1 year old chams in my garage right now in the bay area the temp is 55 - 50, should the chams be ok? with no heat light at night?

It's ok as long as its not like that every night a couple nights here and there in the low 50s wont hurt a panther but if its like that every night i would heat it up. I agree with lancecham jax should be fine thats actually a perfect night time drop for them in my opinion.

I would hope that you do not also have vehicles, lawn mowers, or other such things that put off potentially dangerous fumes in your garage.

I agree...there better not be cars coming and going...of course, lots of garages have had the cars chased away long ago.

In some ways, a garage has the makings of a great chameleon space. Big, open...some species might need extra heat during the evenings, but that's do able..

Excellent! As long as you can keep the temps up as needed it should be great. As I'm sure you know, garages are not insulated for human occupation, so that might be something you want to look into to ease the need to alter the temperature.

drafts

since it's a big open space i would make sure that he is NOT in a DRAFT; this will become an uper respotiory problem and vet treatments, I would get some shower curtians and rods and put up an enclosure around the cage so there is no draft, draft is deadly to a cham, so check and fix any drafty leaks that seep in and around his cage please, otherwise, i think it's a tad bit to cold for a cham at that degree.I would not leave my cham out unti it was in the 70's at nite.

If the cars were made within the last 20 years, they won't kill your cham from the pulling in and out of the garage. Of course assuming they don't have any major emission related failures. a lawnmower, gas can, or other gas powered devices will give off fumes far worse than your car's tail pipe and should be removed.

as for temps... use a heater in the room. NOT a heat LIGHT. I would use a space heater, if you aren't getting any luck with that warming the cages enough try the heat emitters from ReptileUV. They are only $20 and only use 60w. You don't want heat lights because they emit light and even though the box says the animal won't see the red light from the lamp, it is BS. Chams may not see red, but the light will look blue or green depending...

I think a poor assumption everyone is making is that it's 50-55 in the garage at night instead of outside.

Your garage will hold a good amount of heat so long as you're not opening the door frequently.

You should probably do hourly temperature checks one night when it's supposed to be 50 at night again. See what the ambient temperature is every hour after the lights are off until you go to sleep.

As others have said though, drafts are your biggest enemy.

I don't worry about the low temp at night for any of my lizards unless it drops below 50. That includes species like iguanas and green basilisks and green water dragons. My baby mellers chameleons had several nights in january at 51 (when they were only a couple of weeks old (as did the above mentioned species and more). Most of January and much of february the lizards had night temps around 54-58.

I always bring things outdoors for the summer when night temps in the spring remain 50 or above and bring them indoors for the winter when night temps drop below 50. I have kept lizards like this for 15 years now.

The chameleons will be fine, unless it is dropping lower than that, or unless there are drafts, or they can't warm up during the day. Get a cheap digital thermometer with a memory so you can know for certain how low temps get at night.

Back
Top Bottom