chameleon's head turning gray

bassjunkie

help! can anyone tell me what is causing this or if i't's something to be worried about? it's turning grayish white on the front of his casque and the ridges above his eyes, and it goes past his eyes to the back of his skull. see picture

My cham is about 5 months old, eating and drinking and behaving normally and i haven't seen any obvious signs of stress.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• dude.jpg
    dude.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 679
greying is a normal sign of aging......:p j/k

More than likely he is about to shed, temps are hot or his surroundings have changed and he is unsure..

If you dont mind filling out the "how to ask for help" form.

I've had him about 4 months and he's shed recently. the gray discoloration was there before and stayed after he shed.

just curious if anyone else has seen anything similar? here is the info on my cham and setup:

Your Chameleon - male veiled, ±5months, had him for 4 months.
Handling -handle him about 1x a week
Feeding - feeding 10-15 small crickets a day, gut loaded on whole oats and veggies
Supplements - calcium dust every feeding, d3 and multivitamin alternating every week, so 2x a month each
Watering -i mist 3x a day and fill up my dripper with about 1/4 cup water once a day and let it run slowly. I usually see him drink a little
Fecal Description - normal (dark brown to black and white), never tested for parasites
History - had him in the same location for about 3 months- the weather's turned cold so his temperature is as high as i can get it (80*) and the heaters stay on overniight. He seems to eat a ton of ivy, to the point my plants die, but i've heard this is somewhat normal.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 18x18x36 glass/screen combo
Lighting - reptisun uvb light, incandescent light for basking, ceramic heat lamp
Temperature - temperature fluxuates from about 68* to 80*, lights are on about 15 hours a day
Humidity - don't monitor, mist 3x a day
Plants - pothos ivy and an umbrella plant with fake plants too
Placement - corner of the living room, low traffic, top of cage is about 6 ft off the floor
Location - austin tx

thanks so much for reading and any info or help yall can offer!

Last edited:
My guess is he's making that step to adulthood and isn't doing the full body shed every time anymore. That's probably an area that just didn't shed last time and will look that way until he sheds again. My little peacock wore a white plate on his head for about 4 months between sheds once.

veiles can develop lighter colors on their head as they grow. from experience, they can develop almost permanent white lines and shades that do not match entirely with the rest of their color pattern. and i am not talking about transulcent morphs either. hope he's ok, and for the cham, that its normal.

mines started doing that in the last month id say mines almost got a lighter purple haze color in there too. like light grey light purple whitish i had sorta wandered but i figure its pattern comming out it is even starting to get his bands... im getting excited.

Back
Top Bottom