Chameleons from the classified section

Gixxerdude

Hey everyone, first off I want to see nice forum! I help run a forum for motorcycle riders and know the work it takes to bring the type of memebers onto the boards that will give good information with out much BS slinging and from all the threads I have read today, you have a very nice member base here. :)

I have been interested in chameleons for awhile though purchasing them has never been a priority so far as other things always pop up. I currently have a dog and 2 cats. Both cats are chill and just lounge around all day. The pup is always full of energry.

In the past I have dealt with Chameleonsonly.com and have found them to be super nice and informative, looking to educate instead of sell. Normally I would buy direct, but like most people I am trying to budget for any possible economic issue we might see over the next few years..

So I took a look in the classifed sections and was amazed at some of the prices that the chameleons where selling for.. Anywhere from $35+ That is a huge difference compared to other sites i have been at that offer there young ones for $200ish to start..

I do understand you get what you pay for in life, but alot of the sellers have good comments from other members as well as people that have bought from them..

So I was curiose as to what you the members think about where to purchase a chameleon from. The lower prices from the classifieds would allow me to purchase sooner since there is such a difference in cost. Now I am a patient person so waiting longer is ok, if there is really a a benefit to the higher cost chameleons.

Now I do not want this to turn into a bash a member thread. I am looking for thoughts as well as comments from experience. Everyone has an opinion and if yours is a strong opinion please post facts/experience backing it up. If you don't mind of course.

Now to the mods/admins if this (and I doubt it does) turn into some bash thread please feel free to close it or whatever I understand. Though I think just about all the members here are so into the chameleon life that I will find the answers I am interested in..

Sorry for the long post, I have never been able to make small posts lol..

I think it would be best to purchase from the classified considering the great prices and the people selling them are great and take care of them very well.
If you were looking inot designer chams or chams from major businesses, I would suggest screameleons.com or any other place that donates to chameleonforums.com
I bought my cham in great condition from screameleons.com. I personally think if you were gonna buy one from a major business go there but other people have comments about this so listen to them as well.

well the chameleons that are 35+ are Veiled Chameleons and they are a lot more common and cheaper everywhere. The people that have these up are all very good with their husbandry etc. and their babies look great.

Most of the chameleons that you see 200+ are probably panthers which show off different colors than a veiled.

Everyone in the classifieds here usually have very good quality animals and are usually there to help you throughout your chams life.

Remember-different types of chameleons demand different prices. We are actually all pretty much in line with each other in price. Veiled Chameleons are pretty common and start at $30. Panthers run generally from $200 and up. The more known your lines are, the bigger price you can command. Reputation is everything in this game!

btw welcome to the forums and i understand your concerns for this :D

Oh yeah forgot the welcoming, WelcomeXD
I suggest you to start with either a veiled chameleon or a panther chameleon, Pathers are a lot more colorful when it comes to the vibrant colors.
Veileds are cool because they will show multiply colors as well.

Hey Scott! You found the right place to talk about chameleons. Some of the reasons for chams being so much higher from bigger companies is because they have been doing it for years and they have built up a very high reputation for quality and customer service. Not to mention really great blood lines. I have also seen a few sites that dont seem to have been into it long or a very high reputation but still sell at the higher prices. I delt with this type with my first panthers. The outcome wasnt horrible but there was a mishap and not a whole lot of options given to make the situation better. I did however get very nice chameleons so it wasnt the worst situation.

You will find some great prices of great chams from great keepers here on the forums. These prices are great because like myself there are a lot of hobbiest breeders who do it for the experience, fun of it, and the great enjoyment of hatching out your own babies.

Also depending on what type of cham you want decides the price also. Veileds are big and beautiful and often come with a very pissy attitude:D which some of us like. These are your cheaper chams. Panthers have tons of colors and can come with a calm or pissy attitude. These are the ones that get up there in price. You will find these 2 more often than the other species for sale here on the forums. They are both great species of chams to start with and both very rewarding. I wouldnt hesitate to buy off of a long term participant here on the forums. If there is anything I or anyone else can help you with feel free to ask away!

Welcome, Cain

Thanks for the reply's and the welcome so far!!

Maybe that is what I was missing was the type of chameleon, I am not stuck on one type, so long as it is one of the breeds that is more on the sturdy side, which both veiled and panthers tend to be. In my early teens I raised 2 iguanas to full length with out any real problems (other then them growing much faster then I expected lol)

I do want one that is more colorful I will have to double check the type being sold. I am not set on anything yet, and can deal with a little less coloring for more then 50% of the cost. And there is always the ability to have a 2nd one (seperate cage) down the road.

Good info so far, thanks!!

Hi, welcome to the forum!

If you want 'colorful' and 'hardy' then Panther seems to be the right choice.

Do realize that owning chameleon as a pet is not cheap.

Most of the money flowing out of your wallet will actually deal with setting up the right enclosure and the equipment to care for your chameleon optimally.

If money is an object then I suggest you do some calculation (including the chameleon, cage, uvb lamp, feeder, auto misting system, etc etc) be4 buying the chameleons.

Good luck.
:)

Thanks for the reply's and the welcome so far!!

Maybe that is what I was missing was the type of chameleon, I am not stuck on one type, so long as it is one of the breeds that is more on the sturdy side, which both veiled and panthers tend to be. In my early teens I raised 2 iguanas to full length with out any real problems (other then them growing much faster then I expected lol)

I do want one that is more colorful I will have to double check the type being sold. I am not set on anything yet, and can deal with a little less coloring for more then 50% of the cost. And there is always the ability to have a 2nd one (seperate cage) down the road.

Good info so far, thanks!!

I really love my Veiled Cham. As far as interesting goes I think he is very intriging to watch. Color-wise she ranges from greens to browns which is fine with me. I am also happy with one. If the oppurtunity artose and I was in the market for another I would look at the types of Panthers for the color and a variety but I think one Cham will satisfy me. I have many pets and half or more are reptiles. At 50+ I decided reptiles were more my speed than the birds,ferrets and such I have and will not be replacing. ( I guess I also have the long post problem too!) Anyway in short I am happy with a Veiled and I think it is a good way to start as a cham keeper! Welcome too! I have only been here a short time and have always been helped no matter how silly the questions! The folks are very helpful and friendly.

I second the researching prices BEFORE you buy. Depending on the type of chameleon you want and the gender you want cage size can vary, bigger cages cost more of course. Then after youve bought the setup, lights, humidity tool (mister, dripper ect) thiers the food. Some bigger chams can eat a lot! When I first got into chams I had no idea how much was involved, its a lot of hard work but very rewarding. Also make sure you have a savings fund just incase you have to take a tip to the vet- and make sure you find a vet in your area that sees reptiles. Good luck, this site is full of friendly and informative people. Welcome :D

welcome to Chameleon Forums :D :cool:

If I were going to purchase a new chameleon for myself I would look at established breeders with good reputations. Look for a breeder who knows what they are doing compared to just a low price tag. Price does matter of course, but I highly recommend against making it your main priority. We are talking about live animals. Experience and knowledge is important as there is plenty of room for error.

update:
There are some very reputable and experienced breeders that post in the classifieds. There are also inexperienced breeders who have only shipped a few chameleons. I may be a little biased, but I would take a look at the site sponsors. If that does not work out I would suggest a well established member in the classifieds.

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum!

If you want 'colorful' and 'hardy' then Panther seems to be the right choice.

Do realize that owning chameleon as a pet is not cheap.

Most of the money flowing out of your wallet will actually deal with setting up the right enclosure and the equipment to care for your chameleon optimally.

If money is an object then I suggest you do some calculation (including the chameleon, cage, uvb lamp, feeder, auto misting system, etc etc) be4 buying the chameleons.

Good luck.
:)

Don't forget the vet bills. I have read on here so many times where people can not afford to give their chameleon the proper medical attention that they need.

THanks again for the replys..

Having the money for food and vet bills is not an issue..

Instead of just ordering everything up and swipping my debit card like i always do, I wanted to put money aside for all the start up costs (which includes the first round of food).

The continued cost of food will just become part of my weekly costs like any other :)

I would in no way shape or form let a curable illness/injury go untreated. :)

More just curiouse if there is a (I am not sure what word to use) 'quality' difference between the classifieds chams and the website breed chams..

And so far it def seems like the classifieds are good place to watch for chams :)

Being a first time owner I purchased mine from a breeder at the Reptile Expo in Daytona. I had read so much about this show and the reputable breeders and vendors there I felt it was the best place to set myself up for success. I also prchased a cage and a few supplies I didn't already have from the LLLReptile booth there. After checking later their prices were very competitive and much lower without shipping. Personally, I would do my research and then check out the Reptile Expos in your area or mailorder supplies and check out the breeders here on the forum. They really care about their Chams and it seems they are pets first then breeders. Just my $.02 Good luck!

Being a first time owner I purchased mine from a breeder at the Reptile Expo in Daytona. I had read so much about this show and the reputable breeders and vendors there I felt it was the best place to set myself up for success. I also prchased a cage and a few supplies I didn't already have from the LLLReptile booth there. After checking later their prices were very competitive and much lower without shipping. Personally, I would do my research and then check out the Reptile Expos in your area or mailorder supplies and check out the breeders here on the forum. They really care about their Chams and it seems they are pets first then breeders. Just my $.02 Good luck!

Thats a good I will have to see if they have expos like that here in Connecticut, with the frost and even ice in the morning i think it might be to cold for those shows here already, but that is an excellent idea :)

Thank you,

Chams

Hi, I am a hobby/fun breeder of Nosy Be (blue) chameleons. If you Goggle, "Images of chameleons", you will see so many beautiful chameleons there are to choose from, though some may be rare. Yes, the set-ups and feeding of insects can be costly, but these are the most intriguing pets I ever had, and I've had many. All have different personalities. If you go to buy one, ask lots of questions. Do the research...there is tons of information on this site from qualified people, and the most important thing you can do to help you have a healthy pet. I just bred my first pair, and should have babies next Spring. I am so excited! Wishing you well, and welcome.

Most of the members in the classified section sell good quality chams. Because most of us do this as a hobby and not as a business, they generally have fewer babies at a time and can spend more individualized attention to each of them. This usually produces a solid, healthy and relatively friendly chameleon. I'm not saying that the bigger breeders don't do that, I've just never dealt with one, and I see how loving our members are of their little ones. For example, check out Jannb and Dez (2 members). I believe they still have veiled babies for sale, and I'm pretty sure they are the best veiled babies currently around. Jann has documented their progress from the day she got them, and her posts are loaded with amazing photos of the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom