Chameleons eye randomly swollen and strange. Hell!

nickypav

I use repashy Calcium plus everyday, have a CFL zoo med 5.0 (longer of the 2) and standard cage exceterra. Anyways! His eye will randomly do this, it gets huge and swollen looks gross and very irregular. Has anyone had this problem before? I have no idea what it is!!

Attachments

• IMG_20151024_173920061.jpg
    IMG_20151024_173920061.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20151024_173925883.jpg
    IMG_20151024_173925883.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 340
Chameleons bulge their eyes out then suckered them back in again when trying to clean them. However quickly do they go back to normal?

Does it look like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4PoaqH7yOc
If you see the same thing coming from the front of the eye and disappearing (going back) in a few seconds then its ok.
My Panther is doing this cleaning of the eyes a lot usually a few days before shedding. He is also rubbing it to branches at those days.

Does it look like this?
If you see the same thing coming from the front of the eye and disappearing (going back) in a few seconds then its ok.
My Panther is doing this cleaning of the eyes a lot usually a few days before shedding. He is also rubbing it to branches at those days.

that is exactly what its doing! its creepy as ****. my other cham has never done anything similar so this is the first ive seen it. thanks for the info! the only problem now is that hes having trouble opening one of his eyes which i believe i have diagnosed due to the UVB bulb which im getting a new one. He just does that bulge thing alot so i thought it was a problem. good to know its not

Does it look like this?

That's a great video. There is just one thing that bothers me. The third eyelid looks red and swollen. It might be from the shed, as you mentioned. I'm not a vet and have never seen a third eyelid in a a chameleon before your video, so take my observations with caution.

Sure, it was irritated and more red than usual. This cleaning seen on the video is also a bit slower than normal. I will have to make a new one... :)

Sure, it was irritated and more red than usual. This cleaning seen on the video is also a bit slower than normal. I will have to make a new one... :)

yea mine is red when he does it. sometimes its longer than that. its VERY strange and scary looking. but no hes having trouble opening one of the eyes so im pretty sure ive diagnosed it to the UVB bulb. hopefully both these problems both go away

This does look like my cham's eye, however with the hematoma it is constantly swollen. If this continues my only advice would be to check in with a vet!
Best of luck :)

Back
Top Bottom