Chameleons do they make noise?

nix

hi all, im new so just working out how this all works,, and while we at it would anyone be able to shead some light on weather Chameleons make noise, once again im new to chameleons, she is two mouths old and growing fast xx:D

Chameleons do not make noises. They do hiss though however.
Is your chameleon making noise? like a wheezing sound? If so, that's a sign of a respiratory infection.

But other than that, they are quiet. :)

Some chameleons do make noises. Some chams will let out sighs and some montaine species have been known to sort of squeak.

I've got a female veiled that whistles when she hisses. Kind of funny sounding - not very intimidating!

Now that you mention it, I have felt my big male veiled head vibrate when he's doing his hissing thing. Not sure if that is the same thing as in the link, but where there's vibration, there's sound, whether or not we can hear it.

Quoted from the ADCHAM site...
Below is a partial list of species reported in personal communications to exhibiting the "buzzing" behavior similar to that of C. calyptratus.

B. decaryi (E. Edwards)
B. thieli (E. Edwards; L. Horgan)
C. dilepis (K. Barnett)
C. Johnstoni (F. LeBerre)
C. melleri (A. Banks)
C. Oweni (F. LeBerre)
C. senegalensis (K. Barnett)
F. ousteleti (multiple ADCHAM list members)
F. pardalis (multiple ADCHAM list members)
R. brachyurus (J. Mease)
R. brevicaudatus (J. Mease)
R. kerstenii robecchii (E. Edwards; J. Mease)
R. uluguruensis (J. Mease)

Now that you mention it, I have felt my big male veiled head vibrate when he's doing his hissing thing.

Just to clarify, my big male veiled's head. Didn't want anyone to think I was running around with a big shark fin casque on my head or anything. :D

Is your chameleon making noise? like a wheezing sound? If so, that's a sign of a respiratory infection.

well its not a wheezing its a squeek not very offten just ervery now and then,, im thinking its a drink thing (not coz she wants a jack D giggle!!) more like a water thing, im using a bottle to spray a few times a day and she is drinking and eating well and as i said growing well,, thanks for all your replys, xx ;)

I've got a female veiled that whistles when she hisses. Kind of funny sounding - not very intimidating!
yep thats it A whistles thing yep a bit funny, bogie is also a vaild chameleon,,

Welcome to the forum nix!
What species of chameleon do you have?

Some chameleons do make noises/sounds..........
"I was able to hear a very low, barely audible sound emanating from a male, adult animal"...
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5014/hoot.html
bogie is a veild chameleon, also as i just found out from the breeder she is 3 months old, and defo making a squeek sound, not offten mind,, infact she just visited my arm went for a walk and opened her mouth "squeek" is what she said,, not loud but as she was near my ear easy to hear,, maybe im mad as some replys were breathing probs to yes they do,, so defo feeling a bit nuts right now haha!! just want to make sure i know all i can to see that she is healthy and happy! iv also a bosc montior 6 mouth old he's cool! and i also had a snake for 6 years (only he got to big for me to look after so passed him to a reptil place),, so anyway im not completlly new to the all this:D thanks for your reply

Some chameleons do make noises. Some chams will let out sighs and some montaine species have been known to sort of squeak.
yep its a squeak for sure she is infact 3 mouths old and a veild chameleon, she dont do it often mind,, thanks xx:D

Veiled squeaking noise

My veiled made this same kind of squeaking noise yesterday. At first I thought it was cute, but then I realized it may not be so great especially since I dont ever hear it. Does anyone know what this type of noise is from?

Ive tried looking up Chameleon noise indexes online to hear the different sounds and meanings but had no luck. I think this site would be a perfect place to maybe get everyone to piece these different noises together in an index as so others may be able to learn from it. Any thoughts?

My veiled boy squeaks when he hisses too! It's normal, right? He only does it when he's hissing, I don't think it means he has a URI.

i have never heard any sounds coming from my Veiled Stanley, he does vibrate but no noise, but our Panther Krayola definitly makes a sound like a dove cooing, mainly when we are bringing him indoors and approacing his cage...
its really a very sweet sound, the only thing is im not sure what it means, is he stressed or happy to be back in his "comfort zone" ????
anyone else have a cham that "coos"???? :)

Back
Top Bottom