Chameleons can SWIM? YES!

I have no interest in watching the vid but don't we avoid chlorinated water for a reason? I have drops to take that stuff out and you're dipping him in what I assume is super chlorinated water I wouldn't put myself in. Or is this pool just unchlorinated water? AKA filth?

Questions

Thank you all.

BTW is permitted insult here?

Não estamos insultando você. Só não foi inteligente fazer isso. O animal podia ter se machucado.

We are not insulting you. It was not smart to do that, and you could hurt the animal

Chase

Have you ever gotten a mouthful of chlorinated water up your nose or swallowed it? Not too pleasant. And just for the record stress does NOT always equal dark colors. They can display some of their brightest colors when they are scared or agitated. Just sayin....

Não estamos insultando você. Só não foi inteligente fazer isso. O animal podia ter se machucado.

We are not insulting you. It was not smart to do that, and you could hurt the animal

Chase

O meu post sobre o insulto não foi para você ;)
Ok, não foi muito inteligente e então?
Já foi feito e como já disse diversas vezes, eu estava sempre ao lado dele e se tivesse percebido algum comportamento estranho não faria mais, mas ele saia da piscina e estava normal, continuava fazendo coisas que costuma fazer no seu dia dia e não se escondeu como quando vê um gato ou cão, portanto para mim estava tudo ok e está tudo ok, até hoje ele não demonstrou nenhum problema. Não vejo porque as pessoas estão a ser tão más nos comentários, como se eu tivesse jogado ele para a morte =X

I think people are reacting strongly because they are worried that you might do it on a regular basis if we tell you that it's interesting to see how a chameleon swims.

It's clear that English is not your first language, there might be things you misunderstand in messages.

Maybe people will take it easier on you if you are able to admit that you didn't think it through, that you would never intentionally risk harming him, and agree that it's in his interests not to try it again.

I already said in the description that I WAS CLOSE TO HIM ALL THE TIME and doesn't let him more than 15s - 30s. As you can see it he's not stressed
I made this video to show that they can swim if for you ir CRUEL then think again because they can SWIM and this is how they do it.

STOP MAKE THIS USELESS DRAMA
Ok, no one cares if you were next to him, you are trying to make it sound safer if he is closer to you but honestly I'm scared what you are going to "test" next and if I knew where that little guy was I would come over and take him home. Is there anyone else who would do the same?

Last edited:
O meu post sobre o insulto não foi para você ;)
Ok, não foi muito inteligente e então?
Já foi feito e como já disse diversas vezes, eu estava sempre ao lado dele e se tivesse percebido algum comportamento estranho não faria mais, mas ele saia da piscina e estava normal, continuava fazendo coisas que costuma fazer no seu dia dia e não se escondeu como quando vê um gato ou cão, portanto para mim estava tudo ok e está tudo ok, até hoje ele não demonstrou nenhum problema. Não vejo porque as pessoas estão a ser tão más nos comentários, como se eu tivesse jogado ele para a morte =X

Não vamos levar isso para o lado pessoal, queremos apenas ter certeza de que o animal está bem. Eu não faria isso de novo, por favor.

Do not take it personally, we just want to make sure the animal is safe. I would not do it again, please.

Chase

Não vamos levar isso para o lado pessoal, queremos apenas ter certeza de que o animal está bem. Eu não faria isso de novo, por favor.

Do not take it personally, we just want to make sure the animal is safe. I would not do it again, please.

Chase

Com as coisas que estão me falando, como você quer que eu não leve para o lado pessoal?

Just because an animal can swim does not mean it should swim. I have seen numerous videos of chameleons swimming in the wild if they have to they can. Your chameleon is beautiful but please do not subject it to pool water. I have a pool and I keep my chlorine level on the low end; there really is not much in the way of harmful chemicals in pool water. There are things that can be added to correct pH and alkalinity but they are relatively innocuous when used correctly. Chlorine is the most concerning as is any algaecides. If you use baquacil I am not at all familiar with that. The biggest concern I have is that your chameleon's nose is submerged and I am not sure how good they are at holding their breath. Even though you say you are right there which I can see in the video, if he is not able to hold his breath even 30 seconds is too long. I lost 2 chameleons to respiratory infections and it was not pretty, they suffered terribly while trying to get well. Please do not risk his life just because you can. It would be much nicer if you fixed some kind of poolside outdoor enclosure with an occasional misting and plenty of shade if he wants to get out of the sun. It would be a shame to put him in harms way.

I think everyone agrees that you didn't do this out of cruelty, it was curiosity, it wasn't well thought through, but no malice was intended, that much is clear, but you have understand it from your chameleon's point of view. He doesn't have the abiliy of understand that you will lift him out of the water when you are satisfied.

You are the biggest and most powerful presence in his life, one he associates with care, nurturing, and above all, safety, so to be taken and plunged into an environment BY YOU, this oft comforting presence, must be a shocking and terrifying experience. It's like if you were cared for by the being that is many, many times your size from an very young age, it's fed and cared for you, nurtured and raised you, you've bonded to it and you trust it implicitly even though you are incapable of understanding it or even communicating with it. And then one day this being comes to you, you think it's like every other day when you interract, you're calm and trusting, and then BOOM, you're dropped into an environment with which you have absolutely no understanding or experience, possibly the middle of some great body of water. You panic, you don't know where you are or why you're there, and this being that you have always associated with security and care is standing right there just watching. Naturally you're going to scrabble and flail to naviagte through a substance you've never encountered on this level before, you're probably afraid you're going to die if you don't. The most basic instinct in life kicks in: sink or swim, because you believe that IF you don't flail and kick, desperate for air and land, that you WILL die, you don't know that that all-powerful presence is going to eventually scoop you up when it's ready.

At the end of that long scenario I'm trying to say that you essentially placed your chameleon into a situation where, in its head, it believed it was well within the realms of possibility of dying if it didn't "swim".

I am glad you have taken the advice to heart. No one wants to see such a beautiful boy get injured or worse. You obviously care for him or he would not have developed into such a beautiful chameleon. I hope you have many more happy days with him and remain part of this community. It may have seemed people were personally attacking and insulting you. It is very difficult to convey emotions via written word in addition to English not being your first language (but you manage it quite well). It is just no one wants anything bad to happen to your boy. What is his name by the way?

I am glad you have taken the advice to heart. No one wants to see such a beautiful boy get injured or worse. You obviously care for him or he would not have developed into such a beautiful chameleon. I hope you have many more happy days with him and remain part of this community. It may have seemed people were personally attacking and insulting you. It is very difficult to convey emotions via written word in addition to English not being your first language (but you manage it quite well). It is just no one wants anything bad to happen to your boy. What is his name by the way?

I understand that is was a mistake but people are saying like I did for fun or cruelty and that is not true. Some call me a$$ hole and this is a insult. People are very mean here, not like you that like you that write in a good way.
His name is L and there is a lot of other vídeos on my channel so you can go and see that he's very well cared and loved ;)

Thank you.

I understand that is was a mistake but people are saying like I did for fun or cruelty and that is not true. Some call me a$$ hole and this is a insult. People are very mean here, not like you that like you that write in a good way.
His name is L and there is a lot of other vídeos on my channel so you can go and see that he's very well cared and loved ;)

Thank you.

You chameleon does look well cared for and loved. People really are not mean. We just all LOVE chameleons, so when we see something that can pose a potential hazard or danger we get very passionate about it. Why not just put this behind us and start from scratch. You will see there are alot of great and friendly people on here and if you posted some of your other videos I am sure you would get positive and nice comments. This really is a wonderful community.

Back
Top Bottom