Chameleons bothered by fan?

Chameleon company is apparently perfect.

Actually, it was just a matter of understanding what wind chill is, and how it does, or does not, relate to a cold-blooded animal. Had I not posted behind you, some readers may have taken your assertion to heart, especially those brand-new to the hobby, and then made poor husbandry decisions based upon it.

Speaking of wind-chill .... if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen ....;)

So my response to this gets deleted but he gets to keep this up... All I have said is yes it seems a fan would make a room cooler, and he feels the need to slam me down with this?

I think I am done with this forum.

Ask a Mod if you have concerns about whatever was done. Please note that my post went to the advice given, and not to you personally. Perhaps that was the reason.

However, your above post still gets it wrong. A fan only makes you cooler if:

a) You are warmer than the ambient air around you, and the movement of a larger mass of air around you then better wicks the heat off you; and/or

b) You are sweating, or otherwise wet, as in just out of a shower.

If you are a chameleon, and your body temp is already that of the surrounding air, then wind-speed doesn't matter one iota.

In the meantime, as I note in my website (I actually have two right now), there are valid and recommended reasons to create good air-flow through your chameleon's cage. And I explain it. Others in this business have such advice in their websites as well.

Chameleon company is apparently perfect.

Don't let him get to you. He's like this a lot, when he bothers to contribute at all here, and to many different people. Even those who have lots of experience he condescends too. (I have a couple decades of success in keeping long-lived healthy chameleons, including breeding for sale and keep as pampered pets, yet he still thinks that's Just "low level", given his keeping mass chams as a business)
Its best to just ignore him when he's like that. ;)

Don't let him get to you. He's like this a lot to many different people. Even those who have lots of experience he condescends too.
Its best to just ignore him.

It would appear that too many folks are worried about some digital ego, and not about giving good and informed advice. To my knowledge, no one ever said that your advice was "low level". I did say that your specific post was brief, and did not give an informed basis from which a reader could then extrapolate further guidance on issues of air circulation. Which I then provided.

It would seem that there are issues with you well beyond chameleon husbandry. I'm not here for such silliness.

Last edited:
Ignore list

Just FYI on one way to deal with troublesome users:

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their Posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'.

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their user name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

I think that this has gotten out of hand and should stop now.

We are all here not only because we share the same interest and passion for chameleons, but because we all want to better our knowledge and care for these animals. If you find that someone's info is lacking, brief, or outright wrong, then go ahead and share the info you feel should be shared, but there is no need to be rude and especially not to personally attack a specific person or persons. I'm sure you know the whole catching flies with honey bit.

Don't let him get to you. He's like this a lot, when he bothers to contribute at all here, and to many different people. Even those who have lots of experience he condescends too. (I have a couple decades of success in keeping long-lived healthy chameleons, including breeding for sale and keep as pampered pets, yet he still thinks that's Just "low level", given his keeping mass chams as a business)
Its best to just ignore him when he's like that. ;)

Yeah I am not trying to argue with him, I am actually happy he had that knowledge! Like I find it very interesting his input. Just the way I was addressed and told I was not only wrong but incredibly wrong, just hurt my feelings. I am not to prideful to admit it.

Thank you Sandra I really appreciate the pick me up.

Jim, you and I know that people who are offering the most advice here rarely know what they're talking about from experience. When they lack knowledge on a deep level, they always always always resort to personal attacks instead of making a better point. Being politically correct is soooooooooo much more important than common sense and deep critical thought.

Shame on you for applying logic.:D

To the op. If you are not using a fan in a captive environment, you are doing it wrong......flame suite ready....;)

Jim, you and I know that people who are offering the most advice here rarely know what they're talking about from experience. When they lack knowledge on a deep level, they always always always resort to personal attacks instead of making a better point. Being politically correct is soooooooooo much more important than common sense and deep critical thought.

Shame on you for applying logic.:D

To the op. If you are not using a fan in a captive environment, you are doing it wrong......flame suite ready....;)

Politically correct is in no way an issue here. Being rude however is. I see what side you have taken! God Bless you and your other happy friend!

Last comment on this. Everyone have a great night.

Lol... I thought it was a good question. At least in the sense it was a new topic. 90% of the treads are the same question over and over again, with 80% of users giving bad info. I can see the frustration on both sides of this post. I have been a member for around a month and already am frustrated with both inaccurate posts and rude people.

Lol... I thought it was a good question. At least in the sense it was a new topic. 90% of the treads are the same question over and over again, with 80% of users giving bad info. I can see the frustration on both sides of this post. I have been a member for around a month and already am frustrated with both inaccurate posts and rude people.

Fortunately, you recognize that often bad advice is given, although in my experience it is nowhere near as high as 80%. Unfortunately, bad information is still too often taken to heart, and if not then incorporated as poor husbandry, at least influences someone new to the hobby to fashion some sort of compromised husbandry.

As I noted, my strong advice for those who come here seeking such is to look for not just an assertion, but also the explanation for that opinion.
While the bad advice usually lacks an explanation, many posters here do take the time to explain the underlying basis for their advice.

And if you see bad advice, and can state why it is so, then I encourage all to make a post.

a) You are warmer than the ambient air around you, and the movement of a larger mass of air around you then better wicks the heat off you; and/or

If you are a chameleon, and your body temp is already that of the surrounding air, then wind-speed doesn't matter one iota.

[\QUOTE]

Since my chameleon room is about 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house, when my fans are on, the temperature in the room decreases due to air circulation from the rest of the house.

Last edited:

[\QUOTE]

Since my chameleon room is about 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house, when my fans are on, the temperature in the room decreases due to air circulation from the rest of the house.

Is it any mystery if you blow air from a cooler place ? Do you feel this is an example of wind chill ?

Fortunately, you recognize that often bad advice is given, although in my experience it is nowhere near as high as 80%.

Maybe this is a bit high, however, I also think bad advice is stating common opinions as fact and giving advice on situation that the advisor has no experience with.

For example, I question wether someone who raises panther chameleons outside in Florida should give advice to someone who houses an unknown chameleon indoors in Minnesota.

How about considering other types of white noise?

I sleep with a fan on at night as I need white noise in order to sleep. It's a normal box-type fan that sits on the floor, but it's adjustable and I have it pointed towards the ground and in the direction of under my bed (I don't like the breeze, just the noise)

Have you considered other types of ‘white noise’ sounds to help your sleeping condition rather than having to use a fan. Maybe some sounds playing on a small speaker such as rain, sea/waves, crickets chirping, aircraft interior, crackling campfire or crowd noise. How about a tropical jungle soundtrack so you can get the full living in a jungle with a wild animal effect. :D

As for the fan I don't think it would be in issue. My Panther Chameleon almost got blown off his branch last night the wind was so strong 28 floors up on my balcony. He slept right through the storm like a champ.

Depending on the wattage of the fan, i just think maybe you should consider other white noise options. Surely a small speaker could give the same type of noise required, allowing you to save less on electricity, save the environment and all that jazz.

As for Chameleon Company, I don't see any problem with the the advice he has given. He seems to put allot of thought and logic into his reply's, may come across a bit defensive and rude to some, but that's just him.

If we all thought the same and had the same personalities how boring would this world be?

Maybe this is a bit high, however, I also think bad advice is stating common opinions as fact and giving advice on situation that the advisor has no experience with.

For example, I question wether someone who raises panther chameleons outside in Florida should give advice to someone who houses an unknown chameleon indoors in Minnesota.

Oh really ? And you believe that I only "raise chameleons outdoors in Florida". Let me ask you, what is different from the indoors in Florida than the indoors in Michigan ? And seeing as I raised chameleons indoors for 10 years in New Jersey, perhaps there's a difference because New Jersey has been a state longer than Minnesota ? Is that it ?

In all honesty, your posts here are really juvenile. Is this place now inundated with such know-nothings who get all bent out of shape when someone does not agree with their opinion ?

Oh really ? And you believe that I only "raise chameleons outdoors in Florida". Let me ask you, what is different from the indoors in Florida than the indoors in Michigan ? And seeing as I raised chameleons indoors for 10 years in New Jersey, perhaps there's a difference because New Jersey has been a state longer than Minnesota ? Is that it ?

In all honesty, your posts here are really juvenile. Is this place now inundated with such know-nothings who get all bent out of shape when someone does not agree with their opinion ?

<facepalm>

Back
Top Bottom