Chameleons as a carry on?

So I'm moving to call from Ohio, I'm driving, but what happens when I wanna come home for Christmas ect? I don't really like leaving my lizards at home, my mom is currently watching them and i've trained her on their routine.

I called united airlines and they allow pets as carry on, but I spoke to a guy who said reptiles could be a carry on for $125, but I don't believe him because I've been told reptiles go as cargo under the plane, never as carry on, under your seat.

Maybe I'm wrong, please let me know your experiences ect, but when I asked if there was a history of reptiles being a carry on, he couldn't answer me, but said there was no regulations for them not.

When I fly home this week I'm gonna ask someone at the airport, but I have a feeling unless you have your own private plane you're just screwed.

Let me know.

Don't trust losing your cham to someone at the airport. Go to United's website and search through their information on travelling with pets carefully. Then call their reservations phone line and tell them specifically what you want to do. You will need to book a reservation for the cham regardless if you can carry it on or have to check it, and there are specific carrier requirements to meet. I seriously doubt you can take anything but a dog, cat, household bird or a fish on board. I have traveled with all sorts of critters and have never been permitted to take any exotic reptile in a carry on.

Really consider leaving your cham home. The trip will be very stressful and they would much rather stay in their own turf.

DO NOT check the cham into some baggage claim, 30,000 feet above ground in VERY cold. im with carlton, leave it at home for the vacation

As I just posted on another thread, United's corporate policy in no reptile of any kind on a United plane Never. That pretty well sums it up.

Ya, I called the reservations hotline, go hung up on, went through prompters again, then I believe the guy just wanted to get off the phone or just didn't have a clue.

I don't trust the airport with animals just because no one would offer the care I do for my animals. I'll probably stay home, but wish traveling with them wasn't so much of a hastle. They're one of the best pets ever!

I go to NC every 2 years for a family reunion and always loved my chameleons getting sun with me on the beach. Driving from Ohio there was always a long enough drive, can't imagine Cali to north Carolina.

DO NOT check the cham into some baggage claim, 30,000 feet above ground in VERY cold. im with carlton, leave it at home for the vacation

I know I can't imagine cold,dark,being thrown around, wondering where my mom was, and how long this trip was gonna last.

Why do planes make it so difficult to fly chameleons??? It's like discrimination or something.

I know I can't imagine cold,dark,being thrown around, wondering where my mom was, and how long this trip was gonna last.

Why do planes make it so difficult to fly chameleons??? It's like discrimination or something.

Because they are a reptile and lots of people who are uneducated about chameleons are afraid of them, sad really.

Last edited:
Because they are a reptile and lots of people who are uneducated about chameleons are afraid of them, sad really.

Very sad. I hope to learn as much as possible, publish a book and go around educating people and schools about these little guys and hope to make a difference and the world a better place for them. That's why I want to meet other enthusiasts, get involved with my new community and care.

Another option I've found here in Columbus, Ohio, is that my vet will board reptiles as well as other animals. My vet is an excellent exotic vet office, however. I wouldn't consider it otherwise. It's hard to find people to pet sit our reptiles that require so much special attention. Good luck!

Airlines make it difficult to fly with anything, even a service animal, if you can believe that.

Um, a bit of a re-direct here...

The pet areas of passenger jets are required to be pressurized and temp regulated; certainly not as cold as the air at that altitude! I have shipped birds, herps, and small mammals on passenger jets in the required carriers for years without too much trouble. But, I am very careful about it too. Solid sided insulated boxes for the herps, covered crates for birds with a small heat pack, only do it in moderate weather, shortest direct routes with tracking and hand delivery on both ends.

But again, for a short trip like a vacation, no I wouldn't do it. Your cham has no interest in travel and won't miss you much either.

Airlines are set up to ship people, not pets. They don't really care what type of pet it is. If they make it difficult (and you can thank AR groups for some of the hassles and the industry's reluctance) their customers won't bother taking pets unless there is absolutely no other option. Makes it easier for the airline with less liability. Now commerce is a different matter entirely.

Another option I've found here in Columbus, Ohio, is that my vet will board reptiles as well as other animals. My vet is an excellent exotic vet office, however. I wouldn't consider it otherwise. It's hard to find people to pet sit our reptiles that require so much special attention. Good luck!

Thanks. I'm gonna look into being a chameleon pet sitter or start something locally once I figure out the city

Back
Top Bottom