Chameleon

Evensen0316

Hey guys, I’m new to owning a chameleon. I’m worried as he looks a little thin and I’ve read that inverted eyes are a bad thing. Can someone help me out? He eats and drinks well everyday. I just want to know if I should be worried or not, I do give him calcium without d3 daily and have given him calcium with d3 and vitamin once already this month.

Attachments

• 5CA924AF-377E-4738-BECD-4792ED4EFBC2.jpeg
    5CA924AF-377E-4738-BECD-4792ED4EFBC2.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 81
Welcome on here! Filling out this form in as much detail as possible, including more pics your chameleon, his entire cage, and his lights, will be super helpful! Side note- all of the fake plants need to be replaced with veiled-tested live one, and the moss vines need to be replaced with either live vines or safe fake ones.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Welcome on here! Filling out this form in as much detail as possible, including more pics your chameleon, his entire cage, and his lights, will be super helpful! Side note- all of the fake plants need to be replaced with veiled-tested live one, and the moss vines need to be replaced with either live vines or safe fake ones.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Ahhh you beat me 🤣

You really want to make sure all of your husbandry is spot on, so filling out the form will help us help you, if you need any changes or not, as some things aren't visible. Has he ever been tested for parasites?

I mean I’d fill this out but I just want to know if he looks healthy or not, I know I have to make all these changes already.
Well it all depends on how long you have had him. If you have had him for a couple weeks then wrong husbandry isn't going to be visible by a picture of him. We really need you to fill this out.

alright guys, I know this all looks bad. I have a new and bigger cage on the way. I don’t handle him often maybe 3 times a week. I mist often atleast 20 mins a day, I feed him crickets and a couple super worms a week. Once he gets a little bigger I will start feeding hornworms. I have a dripper, I have seen him drink and eat everyday! I know my heat lamps are not the right bulbs, I’m using currently just a household bulb for heat. I have the 10.0 uvb bulb. I can give you all the information when I get back home as I’m currently not home. He appears to be a piebald, definitely a male as well! I put atleast 10 crickets without d3 in his cage a day, yes I know I will have to give him more of a variety of food. I have some gut-load feed for the crickets, all give exactly what it is when I get home. I’m just worried as my girlfriend is the one who got him and I’ve been taking care for him.. I’ve been short on money and doing what I can. I just would hate to see this guy pass for something stupid. I keep humidity 50-70% during day and try keeping it 70-80 at night with no lights.

Attachments

• BB634228-BCBC-4C28-AB75-791091AAD8F7.jpeg
    BB634228-BCBC-4C28-AB75-791091AAD8F7.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 18F0BCBF-33C7-4DA2-B276-45C7135C4A10.jpeg
    18F0BCBF-33C7-4DA2-B276-45C7135C4A10.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 0D786C99-D28E-4D96-ACA8-3F7BBB68A5BD.jpeg
    0D786C99-D28E-4D96-ACA8-3F7BBB68A5BD.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 77
Ok I need you to copy and paste the form so you can fill out each part with as much detail as possible, when you get home so we have all the info we need. You left out over 50% of the information and that will not help us give you the corrections you need

Well it all depends on how long you have had him. If you have had him for a couple weeks then wrong husbandry isn't going to be visible by a picture of him. We really need you to fill this out.
I’m willing to do whatever it takes to keep this guy alive so any criticism is perfectly okay with me, as clearly in my other posted pics it looks like a child put his cage and stuff together..

I’m willing to do whatever it takes to keep this guy alive so any criticism is perfectly okay with me, as clearly in my other posted pics it looks like a child put his cage and stuff together..
That's ok. We can help you with everything needed but we need you to answer every single question in that form so your chameleon has everything he needs. One little mistake could cost your little guy's life, especially because he is so young.

I have only had him a couple weeks and got him from petsmart...
Definitely get x-rays and a fecal test done by an experienced chameleon vet (drop off at least 2 more fecals afterwards, too, to make sure no parasites were missed), paid by either your girlfriend our both of you since you're low on cash.
Amazing! As long as you're learning and wanting him to have the best life, you're doing great! You will have to spend money and not cut corners on some things though

Hi there! We are not here to judge and love helping others to become the best Cham enthusiasts they can be. Now if you have named your Cham Rango or Pascal then I will certainly judge you. :LOL:

alright guys, I know this all looks bad.
No worries! If you saw what some of us started with, you’d laugh your butt off. It’s being open to constructive criticism and making needed changes that matters. Many of us love ‘giving back’ and helping new keepers get things set up correctly. Very glad that you’re here and looking to learn. 🥰

No worries! If you saw what some of us started with, you’d laugh your butt off. It’s being open to constructive criticism and making needed changes that matters. Many of us love ‘giving back’ and helping new keepers get things set up correctly. Very glad that you’re here and looking to learn. 🥰
I’m just worried if I don’t make these changes quick it could be too late..

I’m just worried if I don’t make these changes quick it could be too late..
Some things are far more important and should take priority over others. Correct lighting and supplements would take priority over most other things. If you get that taken care of ASAP, you have a little time to make the other changes.

Okay, I reorganized everything. My feedback and any questions are in red, and I've posted helpful links and care charts below, as well. Anything in blue is a category you missed/haven't filled out yet:

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - He appears to be a piebald, definitely a male as well! So he has tarsal spurs?
  • Handling - I don’t handle him often maybe 3 times a week. Do you give him any enrichment for it, like going outside or to a free-range enclosure or getting a treat?
  • Feeding - I feed him crickets and a couple super worms a week. Once he gets a little bigger I will start feeding hornworms. I put atleast 10 crickets without d3 in his cage a day. I have some gut-load feed for the crickets, all give exactly what it is when I get home. At his age, feed him as much as he'll eat in one sitting. What time of day do you feed him? For dusting, you'll use the supplement for that day to lightly cover all feeder insects in right before they'll get fed off. What do you gutload with? I've attached feeder and gutload charts below.
  • Supplements - I do give him calcium without d3 daily and have given him calcium with d3 and vitamin once already this month. What are the brand of supplements you use, and how often is each one used? Does the multivitamin have D3 in it?
  • Watering - I mist often atleast 20 mins a day. I have a dripper, I have seen him drink and eat everyday! That's a lot! 2-3 mistings a day, preferably around lights on and off, and another one late in the afternoon if needed for humidity, that are 2-5+ minutes long each time should be enough.
  • Fecal Description -Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - I have only had him a couple weeks and got him from petsmart... A fecal test and maybe x-rays will be needed because of where you bought him from.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I have a new and bigger cage on the way. What's the size of the new cage? His cage should have lots of veiled-tested live plants, branches of multiple species and diameters (just none from toxic or sap-producing trees), and vines (preferably all live, just no Exo Terra, moss, or fake vines with leaves on them). I've posted two great cage set-up links at the end for inspiration! Is there tape where you joined the two cages together?
  • Lighting - I know my heat lamps are not the right bulbs, I’m using currently just a household bulb for heat. I have the 10.0 uvb bulb. You need a T5 High Output linear fixture the length that his biggest cage will be, and either an Arcadia 6% (replace yearly) or a Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 (replace every six months) T5 HO linear UVB bulb of the matching size. You'll hang and secure it 4" above the top of the cage and have his basking branch 4-5" below the top of the cage, for a proper UVI level of 3 at his basking spot. Is his heat bulb incandescent or halogen?
  • Humidity - I keep humidity 50-70% during day and try keeping it 70-80 at night with no lights. That is too high, his daytime humidity levels need to be between 30-50%, preferably on the lower end of that range. At night, if the temperature is at or below 65*F, and there's enough airflow, the humidity can go up to 100%. You just want the humidity to be higher at night.

Current Problem - I’m worried as he looks a little thin and I’ve read that inverted eyes are a bad thing. I’m just worried as my girlfriend is the one who got him and I’ve been taking care for him. I’ve been short on money and doing what I can. I just would hate to see this guy pass for something stupid.

Back
Top Bottom