Chameleon won’t go back in cage

It's a technique I started with my bearded dragon. With him I used a wooden ruler; a paint stick would work as well. Beardies don't grab the stick, so it really is more like scooping them up on a pizza board—I wish I had pics of the look on his face... :LOL:

With most animals I've had, I've found it's a matter of distracting and befuddling them in order to disarm them and diffuse the situation. When Ol' Stinkeye (the beardie) would gape & hiss, I'd slowly approach from the front (and slightly above—but carefully) and pet him on the head with one finger. This was when he was still small; IDT it would work with an adult. Part of working with animals is being prepared to get bitten—or scratched, or whatever, and knowing ahead of time what your defense/response is going to be, and NEVER lose your temper. They're just doing what Nature programmed them to do. ;)
Ok’ Stinkeye used to gape and hiss at you?! Wow! He is a little stinker, isn’t he? :ROFLMAO:

Ok’ Stinkeye used to gape and hiss at you?! Wow! He is a little stinker, isn’t he? :ROFLMAO:
Absolutely. He's had an attitude from Day 1, but he's mellowed considerably, and I really think some of it has to do with calling his bluff and not taking his guff. IDT Missus would spend as much time as she does with him if he were still that way. Now he expresses himself with adamance, and we're OK with that.

Is that an OVEN MITT o_O BRILLIANT! :ROFLMAO:
Oven mitts are the best...there's enough material between you and their mouth that they can't usually bite you through it. Sweat shirt sleeves are another option (pulled down over your hand) because they are thick enough and loose enough on your hand and arm that the chameleon gets a mouthful of shirt and not one bit of you!

Honestly once I put on the mitt it was easy peasy lol

I was like “HAHA you can’t get me now”
You're a quick learner! :)

Haha...don't you know they're like dogs and can read your emotions/fear! (Not proven...just my feeling!)
I gotta say I do think there is something to this. I have never been afraid of Beman maybe because we had a great bond when he was a baby and I can read him well. But Bane could get under my skin and make me shake. I swear he thought he was the Raptor from Jurassic Park. He would chase me out of the cage biting and lunging. When he actually bit me it put me over the edge with fear. Now he is living his best life with his fearless mom Jann. He does not act like he did with me. I think he somehow sensed my anxiety and reacted to it. Really taught me to be fearless when ever Bentley would act out. I never had the same reaction from Bentley but I never showed the anxiety that I had the first few months with Bane.

So I really think you are on point with your statement.

I gotta say I do think there is something to this. I have never been afraid of Beman maybe because we had a great bond when he was a baby and I can read him well. But Bane could get under my skin and make me shake. I swear he thought he was the Raptor from Jurassic Park. He would chase me out of the cage biting and lunging. When he actually bit me it put me over the edge with fear. Now he is living his best life with his fearless mom Jann. He does not act like he did with me. I think he somehow sensed my anxiety and reacted to it. Really taught me to be fearless when ever Bentley would act out. I never had the same reaction from Bentley but I never showed the anxiety that I had the first few months with Bane.

So I really think you are on point with your statement.
This experience definitely made me more confident with him. My little guy thinks he’s a velociraptor 😂😂

Another option same concept. Lay a towel over your hand that you want him to come up on. Then use the other to try to get him to walk up. I am betting you are more freaked out than him right now. And honestly you getting him back in will cause less stress then him sitting there freaking out not knowing where he is lol
I do this and I love it it makes me feel safe lol

Back
Top Bottom