Chameleon went into small hole and won’t come out

WashingtonCham

Established Member
Ok so I know my chameleon has only been with me for a couple days but last night he crawled behind one of my support branches till he couldn’t go any further then turned around and stayed there for about two hours with lights still on then I turned them out he slept in same spot all night, and then this morning I turned lights back on and he still wouldn’t come out. I had to go to work so I couldn’t do much but what should I do? I was thinking maybe he was just tired and it was a dark warm spot in the daylight but now that he got a good nights sleep and didn’t want to get warm this morning under his light I’m kind of worried about him. Also once he comes out should I put a stick in here and block it off? I worry he might slip then be stuck in between the cage and the stick but also he seems to like it back there so idk. I’ll post a picture of where he was this morning once I turned lights back on, he’s hard to see but he’s in back corner behind the branch and as you can see there is fishing line under that spot so that’s as far down as he can go without getting stuck.
EA98811E-FE10-4CD9-ACD5-B8ECFDF20FED.jpeg

I would ensure that he didn't actually get himself pinned (unlikely)... just peak throughout the day to see if he moves at all.... but he is hiding from you. Totally normal and natural. As long as he has access to food and water, and isn't physically stuck, its best to leave him alone for a week or two to settle in. He/she will move around more after they settle in. My girl hid like this for several weeks until she felt safe around us.

I would ensure that he didn't actually get himself pinned (unlikely)... just peak throughout the day to see if he moves at all.... but he is hiding from you. Totally normal and natural. As long as he has access to food and water, and isn't physically stuck, its best to leave him alone for a week or two to settle in. He/she will move around more after they settle in. My girl hid like this for several weeks until she felt safe around us.
Ok I know he’s not stuck because he originally went face down checked it out then turned around and stayed there I forgot to add that part. I read something last night about chameleons getting stuck between plant potters and the plant holder and dying so I was worried he might fall in there.

And that’s ano
Ok I know he’s not stuck because he originally went face down checked it out then turned around and stayed there I forgot to add that part. I read something last night about chameleons getting stuck between plant potters and the plant holder and dying so I was worried he might fall in there.and Also he has been all over the cage the past two days was eating drinking didn’t seem to pay me any attention. Then all of a sudden he turned really dark went back there and hasn’t come out

Yea, he/she is just afraid right now. This is like an alien abduction for them... a strange place, a strange person who keeps looking at them, loud noises, etc. It takes a few weeks to feel safe. Just take it slow and give it a little space for now to get settled and learn you aren't a danger.

Yea, he/she is just afraid right now. This is like an alien abduction for them... a strange place, a strange person who keeps looking at them, loud noises, etc. It takes a few weeks to feel safe. Just take it slow and give it a little space for now to get settled and learn you aren't a danger.
Ok thanks, yah he acted fine for first couple days going all over the place and it was like something all of a sudden scared him and all I can think of that I changed was I turned the fogger on but he had it on the day before as well so who knows, I’ll just keep an eye on him. Was just hard to go to work this morning with hiM still back there hopefully he’s just fine when I’m home

Back
Top Bottom