Chameleon vomiting.

Maya1

Hello,
My chameleon was sold to us with a fungal infection 'yellow fungus infection', she is currently on two types of liquid medication given to her once a day. Over the last couple of days I have noticed a drop in activity and she seems weaker than usual, less of a grip.. I haven't seen her eat or drink either suggesting she has lost her apetite as well as the fact she looks somewhat skinnier. Her eyes have also sunken in slightly and she was sleeping with her mouth open tonight which makes me think she's too hot or dehydrated as well as hungry even though she is being fed and watered and her temps aren't that high.
Today when I came home I gave her one of her two medications, shortly afterwards she vomited once then attempted it again, I'm not sure if the treatment is the cause of her vomiting, the infection or something else. If it's any use her vomit was 3 meal worms and a little bit of brown gunk.

She is 6 months old and is currently in a 2ft x 1ft x 1 and a half ft glass vivarium (WxDxH), this is a temporary measure until our 2ftx1ftx4ft terranium arrives tomorrow morning. She is using a 10.0 Exoterra UVB bulb and her hot spot is usually around 76 and 70 for basking. Night time temps drop to 70. Misted twice a day.

Could anyone give any advice on what to do if your chameleon is throwing up until she sees a vet which will be in a few days time as it's the weekend. Should I give her the last bit of medication or leave it? Is it okay force feed her?

Cheers, Danny.

I would look to get her to a vet ASAP if you are in a position to do so. I normally am one to hold off on vet visits until I am sure that something is wrong that is beyond food/hydration/enclosure. My critiques on your husbandry are in red.

As of your care, her basking temp is to low and should be raised to 80-83 (from my experience, but each Cham is different). Start on the higher end and lower them gradually if she starts to gape (bask with her mouth open). You can also let her temps drop into the mid-high 60's at night, it's actually encouraged (they will be okay into the 50's but DO NOT make it a regular thing). The 10.0 UVB bulbs are recommended for higher density enclosures and I among many other members prefer the 5.0 UVB (See https://www.chameleonforums.com/definitive-lighting-thread-everything-you-really-need-know-80869/ for more information). Twice a day misting should be fine, just watch her bowl movements and know the signs of dehydration as it can come on very quick.

With that being said, the last Chameleon I recall throwing up died later that day.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/panther-chameleon-died-today-after-throwing-up-121548/

It would also be a lot more helpful to myself and other members if you would properly fill out a help form as seen here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ That way we have a better idea of how you are caring for your Cham and in turn will help with our assessment of the animal.

It could be nothing, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Wish you luck, hope to hear good news.

As I said, the vets are not open until Monday morning so I'm looking for advice for until we can get her to her vets. I am looking to find out if we should complete the last bit of her medication. Should we force feed/water her? Shower her? Or any tips would be appreciated.

I have put all the relevant information asked on the 'how to ask for help' thread in the original post minus humidity (50%) and location. We live in Glasgow, Scotland and her vivarium is in the corner of our living area which is a high traffic area around 8am and again at 5pm if that's any help? We have trouble keeping the temperatures right for her (any advice?) but have rectified this by purchasing a whole new set up which arrives tomorrow morning. The 10.0 uvb was a mistake purchase but was told by a vet this would be fine for her based on her vivarium size etc but will have it changed in the near future.

As I said, the vets are not open until Monday morning so I'm looking for advice for until we can get her to her vets. I am looking to find out if we should complete the last bit of her medication. Should we force feed/water her? Shower her? Or any tips would be appreciated.

I have put all the relevant information asked on the 'how to ask for help' thread in the original post minus humidity (50%) and location. We live in Glasgow, Scotland and her vivarium is in the corner of our living area which is a high traffic area around 8am and again at 5pm if that's any help? We have trouble keeping the temperatures right for her (any advice?) but have rectified this by purchasing a whole new set up which arrives tomorrow morning. The 10.0 uvb was a mistake purchase but was told by a vet this would be fine for her based on her vivarium size etc but will have it changed in the near future.

Glad to hear you have a new setup on the way. Raising/lowering the lights from the top of the enclosure is a good way to adjust temps. If you think the traffic during those times is stressing her out then you may try putting a cover over her enclosure (preferably 3 sides covered, 1 open, top must be open). Covering the sides can also help keep humidity up in screened enclosures. You may try dripping water onto her nose/snout at a pace of about 1 per second, maybe even a little slower to try and get her drinking. As of force feeding her, I wouldn't unless you are seriously worried about her weight/food intake. Even then, you can cause a lot of damage in trying to force a chameleon to eat. Example https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-cham-has-mouth-injury-how-know-if-he-suffering-118683/.
For now, observation is going to be the best tool at your disposal.

I decided to give her a shower as I could see no harm in trying it and after 20 minutes in a shower she looks a lot better. She seems a lot less skinny for some reason? Also a little less frail.

Unfortunately there's no way we can lower the bulb to lower temperatures but I will try wrapping her vivarium in a blanket tonight. Does it need to be three sides? Can I just wrap a blanket right round it? I have tried to drip water into her mouth but she believes it's her medicine which she isn't into.

I will leave the feeding as she is looking less skinny after a shower and the fact she vomited 3 meal worms which were given to her yesterday morning suggests she's not starving.

My last question. If she vomited very shortly after giving her one out of two doses of medicine should I give her the second? Could it be the medicine? Or is it just be the fact the medicine probably tastes vile? Or should I just leave giving her it till I speak to a vet?

I decided to give her a shower as I could see no harm in trying it and after 20 minutes in a shower she looks a lot better. She seems a lot less skinny for some reason? Also a little less frail.

Unfortunately there's no way we can lower the bulb to lower temperatures but I will try wrapping her vivarium in a blanket tonight. Does it need to be three sides? Can I just wrap a blanket right round it? I have tried to drip water into her mouth but she believes it's her medicine which she isn't into.

I will leave the feeding as she is looking less skinny after a shower and the fact she vomited 3 meal worms which were given to her yesterday morning suggests she's not starving.

My last question. If she vomited very shortly after giving her one out of two doses of medicine should I give her the second? Could it be the medicine? Or is it just be the fact the medicine probably tastes vile? Or should I just leave giving her it till I speak to a vet?

I'm glad to hear that she is looking a bit better. As for the medicine, I am not comfortable making any recommendations. It could be the medicine that made her sick, hard to say for sure.

I have a Jackson who is a stubborn drinker, so I hung a fake plant from the top screen right above her favorite basking spot (without covering the spot from light of course) and I moved my dipper so it drops onto the leaves and then runs down onto her nose if she wants. Might try something like that or just dropping the water from the top of her enclosure so there is less chance of her seeing it and deciding its medicine.

Several things. First off, I think it highly likely that the medications are making the chameleon sick. I have never heard of a "yellow fungus infection" in chameleons, and would take serious issues with such a diagnosis unless I had dealt with the vet myself and had seen proof of such, with an explanation. I wonder how many vets in this country have experience with such ?

Was this "infection" explained to you ? Is it some sort of internal fungus, which again sounds exceedingly unlikely. And if external, then the need for an internal medication sounds pretty excessive. I have never seen an external fungus that could not be cleared with external medications, and a couple husbandry adjustments.

I would discontinue any oral meds for now, an would not resume them until I was convinced by a vet that it was the best course of action.

Back
Top Bottom