Chameleon turned gray

Sumo

My young Jackson’s chameleon suddenly turned gray this evening between about 6 or 7:30 pm she has been doing great and this morning and throughout the day she was doing great with little to no stress colors. The only thing I can think is that she’s dying and that it’s my fault that my baby is gonna die. The only thing that it might be is dehydration, her urates are orange but they are light so I wasn’t very worried about it. But today when I went to check on her around 7:40 she was a gray color.
during the day I spray her enclosure thoroughly with a spray bottle in the morning( around 7:30 am) at around 3 pm. And again around 7:30-8 pm before I turn the light out. At night I run a fogger for about an hour once I turn the light off, and sometimes turn it back on later in the night. I also run it in the morning when I turn the lights on. She also hasn’t been eating very well, in that last couple days she’s been eating a less than good amount of crickets ( 6-7) a day. But before she was only eating one or two a day. I don’t know how old she is. I got her from Petco around two to three weeks ago. I have not taken her to the vet yet.

She is looking better now but that might be where she was sleeping until I turned the light on to take the pics. When I checked on her earlier she was near the basking spot and completely gray with white spots on her sides

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 181
Is that picture of her what you are calling gray with white spots. This is a normal color variation for babies. I would call it a stress pattern but they also seem to do it randomly. If you are seeing an ashy grey then she could be about to shed. If she is on the bottom and grey then you may be losing her.
She looks normal in that picture. We can go over your husbandry if you want.

She’s looking good this morning, and she’s doing fine and eating well today. I was worried last night because as I said before when I checked on her she was a light gray color all over with the white spots on her sides. She was underneath her basking light. That picture is from later in the night after she had been sleeping for an hour or two. I turned on the lights and snapped the pictures very quickly.

Here is a picture of her right now, maybe last night was just a fluke of some kind.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 105
Looking fine from here this morning.
She's a boy. Looks like a little xanth and he's growing horns. Females occasionally have one but never 3. The ones over her eyes appear to have grown beyond what females ever get. She can identify any way you like but she's going to have 3 horns and no babies. I haven't raised a lot of this subspecies so you may want to check with @Mendez or @Kaizen for confirmation.

Thankyou for telling me, the Petco that I got Pandora from said that they were a girl and that they had checked something but I don’t remember what it is called. I have been thinking that they were a male but I wasn’t sure.

I was taught to tell by the shape of the area just above the mouth below the horn. Females ave a gentle curve while males have a sharper indent.

@JacksJill he has just done it again, he only seems to do it when he’s basking and he only has done it since I’ve gotten the strip uvb light set up. The first picture is from when I just saw him and the second is from after he stated running around, he doesn’t like my phones black case.

Attachments

• 2C7831E7-D701-4BD1-A140-1D745BC6F1FC.jpeg
    2C7831E7-D701-4BD1-A140-1D745BC6F1FC.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 89B35365-23B2-4757-A128-EE597CFC2BA2.jpeg
    89B35365-23B2-4757-A128-EE597CFC2BA2.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 92
Actually it may be the uvb light and the coloration of it, I still just want to be sure, he looked a lot more gray before then, the photo had flash.

Just now under the heat light

Attachments

• D9CDCBFA-9C47-4446-A414-D08C21A132AC.jpeg
    D9CDCBFA-9C47-4446-A414-D08C21A132AC.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 94
Those colors are all normal. It is expected that they will turn a lighter color under the basking light once they get their body up to the preferred temperature. When they need to warm up, they will turn a darker color to absorb heat, and once they are all warmed up, they will turn a light color to reflect the heat. What temperature is your basking spot? If she is turning white, the temps could be too hot which wouldn't be too uncommon as temperatures begin to rise as we move from winter to spring (and eventually to summer).

And just to be sure, you are providing him with temp drops 65F or below during the night?

Those colors are all normal. It is expected that they will turn a lighter color under the basking light once they get their body up to the preferred temperature. When they need to warm up, they will turn a darker color to absorb heat, and once they are all warmed up, they will turn a light color to reflect the heat. What temperature is your basking spot? If she is turning white, the temps could be too hot which wouldn't be too uncommon as temperatures begin to rise as we move from winter to spring (and eventually to summer).

And just to be sure, you are providing him with temp drops 65F or below during the night?
The basking spot is ranging from 85 to 90 in different spots, I need to do something to make that lower, around 80 right? And at night I get it as cool as I can in my room but I’m not sure if the exact temp, it is usually in the 60s though.

You said.."Actually it may be the uvb light and the coloration of it, I still just want to be sure, he looked a lot more gray before then, the photo had flash"...them in post #17 you show a photo of him that's very orange looking and said he was under the heat light...what color are the lights?? What are you using for UVB and basking?

Back
Top Bottom