Chameleon taming with flute šŸ˜šŸ˜

MaryLP

Hey guys!!!! Iā€™m Mary, and I am still in the researching stage of getting a chameleon and I was just wondering. I play the flute and piccolo(which gets REALLY loud) and I was just wondering if I can continue to do that in the room with my chameleon or if that will stress him out too much? I would be getting a male veiled chameleon if that changes anything.

They have no ears. They have a inner ear that can "feel" things. At best they may get disturbed if you start playing "bass operator" with a 15" sub. But they cant hear even 1khz and up.

They are sensitive to vibration as mentioned above. If you played the tuba they might be aware but the piccolo should be well above the range mentioned in the comment above. I suspect they hear/feel the vibration of things moving in the tree with them more than they hear sounds in the air.

They are said to be able to hear sounds between 200 and 600 Hz.ā€¦so if you look up the range of your piccolo you should be able to tell whether the chameleon can hear it or not.

This site says piccolos range from 5000HZ to 630Hzā€¦.but I donā€™t know for sure.

They can sense vibrations through branches, etc as was said alsoā€¦but I canā€™t say if a does a piccolo vibrate enough.

You might find this interesting....
ā€When an adult male was placed on a plant
with an adult female, it produced a variety of vibratory signals which varied in their gross-temporal and frequency characteristics. We hypothesize that these vibrations serve as vegetation-borne vibratory communication signals because (1) they were barely audible or inaudible to humans, whose auditory sensitivity exceeds that of
chameleons but were easily detected by the accelerometer attached to a plant at 0.1m distance and (2) they were produced in courtship and disturbance contexts in which one might expect communication to take placeā€..
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ication_by_Substrate_Vibration_in_a_Chameleon

This explains the hearing a bit betterā€¦.
ā€The results indicated poor sensitivity in comparison with lizards in general, yet the performance was not far below that found in many species with conventional sound-conducting systems.ā€ā€¦
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jez.1401680403#:~:text=The frequency range extended from,aerial sounds and mechanical vibrations.

Last edited:
They are said to be able to hear sounds between 200 and 600 Hz.ā€¦so if you look up the range of your piccolo you should be able to tell whether the chameleon can hear it or not.

This site says piccolos range from 5000HZ to 630Hzā€¦.but I donā€™t know for sure.

They can sense vibrations through branches, etc as was said alsoā€¦but I canā€™t say if a does a piccolo vibrate enough.

You might find this interesting....
ā€When an adult male was placed on a plant
with an adult female, it produced a variety of vibratory signals which varied in their gross-temporal and frequency characteristics. We hypothesize that these vibrations serve as vegetation-borne vibratory communication signals because (1) they were barely audible or inaudible to humans, whose auditory sensitivity exceeds that of
chameleons but were easily detected by the accelerometer attached to a plant at 0.1m distance and (2) they were produced in courtship and disturbance contexts in which one might expect communication to take placeā€..
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ication_by_Substrate_Vibration_in_a_Chameleon

This explains the hearing a bit betterā€¦.
ā€The results indicated poor sensitivity in comparison with lizards in general, yet the performance was not far below that found in many species with conventional sound-conducting systems.ā€ā€¦
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jez.1401680403#:~:text=The frequency range extended from,aerial sounds and mechanical vibrations.
Crazy to think that my guy couldnā€™t hear me all those times I told him how adorable he is and how much I love him!! Iā€™ll have to translate it into tuba if I want him to hear it šŸ˜‚

Thanks so much for all the replies guys!! Woodwinds do produce sound by vibrating so I think while the little guys still adjusting to his new environment I wonā€™t risk stressing him out with it, but maybe a few weeks/months in I will try it and see how he reacts. With all this information along with my flutist knowledge though, I really do not think he will be able to hear/feel it

Crazy to think that my guy couldnā€™t hear me all those times I told him how adorable he is and how much I love him!! Iā€™ll have to translate it into tuba if I want him to hear it šŸ˜‚
I thought my singing was improving - singing more in key. He sits there as if captivated by voice. So many nights I've lulled him to sleep. Heartbroken, I am...

Kinyonga posted the link to this article two weeks ago. Check out page #2 regarding their auditory system.

ā€œInterestingly, different auditory sensitivities were recorded for species of the genus Chamaeleo versus the genus Trioceros, with T. hoehnelii and T. jacksonii having poorer auditory performance than all species of Chamaeleo (Wever, 1968, 1969a).ā€

http://www.anthonyherrel.fr/publications/Herrel 2013 Physiology - Chameleon Book.pdf

So get a Jacksonā€™s or a helemeted chameleon if you want them to be deaf-deaf. But they will still be sensitive to vibrations on the branches. Donā€™t go get a bass guitar or a drum set

Back
Top Bottom