Chameleon spending a lot of time in bottom of enclosure.

Qhugh14

My baby is a 6 month old Veiled and lately I've noticed she'll travel to the bottom of her enclosure and just chill there by my water dripper collection bucket. I have a 100W basking bulb and a 5.00 UVB bulb right on top of her mesh. I notice she still will sit on the branch right bellow the bright lights and bask. Should i be concerned, is she too hot or is she just exploring an prowling for dinner?

do you have a lay bin, hate to break it to you but females lay eggs regardless of being bred or not... like chickens... she is most likely scouting out a pace to lay for when she is ready especially if she is strong right now and not lethargic looking. is she gravid right now??? can you post pictures of her and her enclosure please? if she is not gravid and not looking for a place to lay that means she's probably afraid she will fall and therefore is spending a lot of time at the bottom indicating that she may have mbd, when chams feel themselves weakening they will often climb down to the bottom of their enclosure in fear that they are not strong enough to survive a fall, in this case she will need a vet. she could also be hot like you mentioned, how hot is the basking and ambient temperature?

What is the Ambient temperature in the bottom cage??
Temperature in general for the veiled
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C)
I will suggest get some digital thermometer to find out the exact temperature on the basking branch for ur cham and adjust accordingly.

since she is climbing back up though your best bets are that she's gravid and will lay soon
I definitely think she's too warm, just saw that juvenile charms need a little cooler temps. I also think she is a bit too young to be gravid I think, only 6 months and not showing her colors

Here is a good blog about lay bins https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

If you would like us to review your husbandry please fill out this form and include images of your cage lights down. :)
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom