chameleon sounds. chirp

DekuScrub

Avid Member
So i had a first today.

Im feeding two of my jacksonii x, females sisters.

and as always im hand feeding them because i keep those two housed together.

once the one seemed to have her fill she wanders over to the other. shes climbing the screen vertically while the other is horizontal on a branch touches her body to the other one and chirps.

CHIRPS.

i was just astonished, kind of still in disbelief. thought maybe it was the screen for a second and tried, to no avail, to recreate the noise.

It seemed like an intentional communication the way she made the noise when their bodies touched.

Ive never seen anything like it, hissing is the only audible thing ive ever heard chameleon make. Ive seen plenty of communication displays of head bopping, puffing, color change and buzzing/vibrating but this sure was weird.

Im wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that i house them together. Theyre the only chameleons ive ever kept in the same cage except for breeding pairs on the short term.

Has anyone ever witnessed anything like this? And if she was communicating with her sister what do you think that meant? i mean she had just finished eating was headed back the other way, stopped only a moment to make the noise and kept going.

I think i remember at least one post about this but i cant seem to locate it with the search function and it have to have been a long time ago.

a few of my runt babies have made the same noise!

I thought at first it was a hiss, but its not.

I was holding two babies on my fingers and one chirped at me.

I freaked the first time, thinking they had an RI, but they are fine.

Wow cool! The only thing I can liken to this is when my friend met my cham for the first time and thought she was chirping. It was the crickets lol! :D

a few of my runt babies have made the same noise!

I thought at first it was a hiss, but its not.

I was holding two babies on my fingers and one chirped at me.

I freaked the first time, thinking they had an RI, but they are fine.

strange, what species? and were they making physical contact when it happened?

it didnt seem like a threat or anything, more of an acknowledgment of presence.

ive had plenty of baby panthers and veiled housed together for the first few months and never witnessed anything like it.

and these two girls have been together since birth theyre probably a little over a year now and ive never seen them do this before. then again i only really watch them for 10 min at a time every few days.

i wonder if this is something species that have high population densities or live in close proximity with overlapping territories do in the wild.

I have heard my Jax X female 3 times make a " squeak " sound - but once was giving birth - so guess that one is self explanatory ~ but the other 2 times she was sitting in her cage

I have heard my Jax X female 3 times make a " squeak " sound - but once was giving birth - so guess that one is self explanatory ~ but the other 2 times she was sitting in her cage

well this was more of a chatter chirp. and i could see her physically vibrating. if it was just a squeek i probably would have just dismissed it as an expulsion of air/ chameleon burp since she had just eaten.

the squeek during birth is kind of insightful though. maybe a noise made as a non threat gesture to differentiate oneself to the young, since theyre live bearers.

i mean the young could easily find themselves in the company of some unsavory, cannibalistic characters and if there werent a signal to indicate a sense of safety.

hmm....

Stella used to chirp on occasion.

Usually after eating too much at once. ;/

The first time it happened, she ate a fairly large mantid, and sort of gasped a few times, which scared me. Then she chirped(I know exactly what you mean) maybe 4 times, which also scared me. Then went on about her business as usual.

Stella used to chirp on occasion.

Usually after eating too much at once. ;/

The first time it happened, she ate a fairly large mantid, and sort of gasped a few times, which scared me. Then she chirped(I know exactly what you mean) maybe 4 times, which also scared me. Then went on about her business as usual.

:/ so maybe it was becuase she had just eaten. thats kind of disappointing if thats all it was.

well to say the least ill be paying more attention after feeding time.

Back
Top Bottom