Chameleon sleeping throughout the day, please help

His enclosure has a live plant, appropriate lighting, and humidity and everything. He’s been healthy and everything but today, I found him sleeping and avoiding his warm lights and it’s only 4pm. Last night, a cold front came in and it dropped to 37° and it’s going to be in the 40’s this week. His enclosure is maybe 10 feet away from a big window, so I was wondering if maybe that is causing him to do this? Please help, I don't know what to do and I know sleeping during the day isn’t normal for veiled chameleons

In order to try and figure out what's going on (since there could be multiple reasons) please fill out the help form: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi there. We asked you to fill out the form your first posting in September. We do this to ensure that you were given the correct information and that you bought the right items. I highly advice you fill out the form this time. Sleeping during the day for any Chameleon is a sign of extreme health issues. It could be many things from incorrect lighting, supplementation, feeders, temps, leaving lights on when they shouldn't be. It is nothing we can guess on.

So we need the form filled out with total detail and pics of your entire enclosure lights down to be able to try to help you.

His enclosure has a live plant, appropriate lighting, and humidity and everything. He’s been healthy and everything but today, I found him sleeping and avoiding his warm lights and it’s only 4pm. Last night, a cold front came in and it dropped to 37° and it’s going to be in the 40’s this week. His enclosure is maybe 10 feet away from a big window, so I was wondering if maybe that is causing him to do this? Please help, I don't know what to do and I know sleeping during the day isn’t normal for veiled chameleons
Please fill out the form. We can’t help unless we have something to go on.

ugh! Please fill out the form so we can help. Henna won’t fix the problem.

form info: male veiled chameleon. VERY LOW AND POSSIBLY DANGEROUS TEMPERATURES. Regular 60% humidity, misting every 3 hours. Relatively new bulbs for lighting, uvb and heating. airflow through cage, not glass. He has normal and healthy poops. he eats dusted insects regularly, drinking the same as well. He has a live pothos in his cage. His cage is placed 10 feet away from a large window that is freezing at the moment (suspected problem i believe), but is usually in normal room temperature. Problem: he was found sleeping in the middle of the afternoon, away from his lights despite the cold temperatures. HELP.

form info: male veiled chameleon. VERY LOW AND POSSIBLY DANGEROUS TEMPERATURES. Regular 60% humidity, misting every 3 hours. Relatively new bulbs for lighting, uvb and heating. airflow through cage, not glass. He has normal and healthy poops. he eats dusted insects regularly, drinking the same as well. He has a live pothos in his cage. His cage is placed 10 feet away from a large window that is freezing at the moment (suspected problem i believe), but is usually in normal room temperature. Problem: he was found sleeping in the middle of the afternoon, away from his lights despite the cold temperatures. HELP.
If you want us to help you need to fill out the help forum or no one can help you

do i answer the information in the form in my original post or is there a form that i have to fill out? I don't know what form everyone keeps talking about on here, my apologies. I'm new to this site. If it helps, i answered some information in a reply to my recent post

do i answer the information in the form in my original post or is there a form that i have to fill out? I don't know what form everyone keeps talking about on here, my apologies. I'm new to this site. If it helps, i answered some information in a reply to my recent post

As mentioned multiple times, please copy/paste the following and fill it in with as much detail as possible. Please include a picture of your enclosure (including the lighting) as well.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Put a blanket-thick towel over/around the enclosure or turn your house thermostat up. Make sure your plant is non toxic and I would only mist in the morning but supply slow drip all day atleast until you warm him/her up. Definitely warm him up maybe increase the wattage on your basking light depending. Altho they can withstand lower temps than most I wouldn't let mine go below 60 at night. A 15° drop at night is beneficial to their health but please don't let it get below 60° I can survive a temp of 30° but I'm not going to be very productive lol and certainly not happy about it

Last edited:
I would think that if he were just cold, he would go to the warmest part of his enclosure under his basking light. There is more going on than being cold. We would like to offer you complete help with making sure your cham is happy and healthy. You came seeking help, so please let us help you. Answering the help form in detail is free. Vet visits are expensive.

Put a blanket-thick towel over/around the enclosure or turn your house thermostat up. Make sure your plant is non toxic and I would only mist in the morning but supply slow drip all day atleast until you warm him/her up. Definitely warm him up maybe increase the wattage on your basking light depending. Altho they can withstand lower temps than most I wouldn't let mine go below 60 at night. A 15° drop at night is beneficial to their health but please don't let it get below 60° I can survive a temp of 30° but I'm not going to be very productive lol and certainly not happy about it

The way a reptile handles cold is nothing like the way a human would. Bad example.

Where did half of this even come from?^

The way a reptile handles cold is nothing like the way a human would. Bad example.
James, how dare you! For every sensation I feel, my chameleon has an equal sensation. For all the pangs of sadness, and disappointment; for all the joys of love and emotional intimacy, I just know my Cham has the same feelings. And you’ll see, when I accept the prime minister’s award for awesome chameleon husbandry, my chams will be right there in the audience—single tears running down their cheeks with a swell of pride.

Last edited:
@Emmamendichameleon Here is the form. It will be easier to fill out if you are on a computer instead of a phone. You can either click reply to my post and fill in the answers then post reply or you can copy the form and paste into the reply box and then post the reply. Either way we will then have access to all of the questions we need to help you and your cham. Please fill out with detail telling us as exact as possible and post pics of the cage lights down.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:

Just to be clear, his enclosure is inside within 10 feet of the window? What temperature did his enclosure drop to? I have found that all my veileds have no problem shrugging off temps in the 50’s, so long as they can warm up the next morning. It would surprise me that the cooler temps would cause this kind of behavior. I highly recommend filling out the form above, and in the mean time, making a vet appointment.

Back
Top Bottom