Chameleon sleeping throughout the day, please help

So, as a basic answer, I have seen chameleons turn in early before lights out during certain times of the year. There could be many reasons, but yes the temperature in a room or lighting from outside can influence it. As for another thing to consider, if you have recently had a time change due to Daylight Savings Time, your own behavior may be different and can have an effect on your animals. You can be feeding at a different time or just simply have lights on at different times of the day. Tough to tell. I would like to see a picture of the chameleon and it's enclosure to see if there is anything else going on here, and yes, If you cut and paste the Help Form into a response here in this thread it can also be very beneficial. The more details you can give the better. For example, give brands of lights and wattages. Types of feeders and supplements, etc...

So, as a basic answer, I have seen chameleons turn in early before lights out during certain times of the year. There could be many reasons, but yes the temperature in a room or lighting from outside can influence it. As for another thing to consider, if you have recently had a time change due to Daylight Savings Time, your own behavior may be different and can have an effect on your animals. You can be feeding at a different time or just simply have lights on at different times of the day. Tough to tell. I would like to see a picture of the chameleon and it's enclosure to see if there is anything else going on here, and yes, If you cut and paste the Help Form into a response here in this thread it can also be very beneficial. The more details you can give the better. For example, give brands of lights and wattages. Types of feeders and supplements, etc...
To add to this I found that keeping them on the same light cycle as sunrise and sunset to be helpful. I thought my male willsii was going to be to early but when I looked at when sunset was he was actually going to his sleeping spot one hour b4 sunset. I also have been allowing my veileds to drop to 50 at night now and they have been doing fine.

James, how dare you! For every sensation I feel, my chameleon has an equal sensation. For all the pangs of sadness, and disappointment; for all the joys of love and emotional intimacy, I just know my Cham has the same feelings. And you’ll see, when I accept the prime minister’s award for awesome chameleon husbandry, my chams will be right there in the audience—single tears running down their cheeks with a swell of pride.

Or they are puffing at the cham next to them in the crowd. The same cham that has been their neighbor for years.

Mine all have fixed sched. Room temp could be 65 or 90, same could be with humidity, its all over. And i have daylight savings time. They all sort of start moving 2-3 hours after lights on, and get to the sleeping stick 2-3 hours before lights out. I have a 12 hour florescent pattern, and they are next to a big window, so when it gets dark light does change alot throughout the year. But human dinner is at 6pm, all chams are in bed by 4-5pm. Cham lights out at 7pm, it could be dark outside at 5pm or 9pm based on the time of year.

Ok everyone enough of the side conversations. We need the OP to respond, not be put off with all the side chatter. This is their third post and the chameleon has been in their care since at least September 4th without them getting real feedback on their husbandry. That is enough time for everything to go very wrong for this Cham and the OP. Please lets not create an environment where they do not post the help form because everyone has a conversation going.

His enclosure has a live plant, appropriate lighting, and humidity and everything. He’s been healthy and everything but today, I found him sleeping and avoiding his warm lights and it’s only 4pm. Last night, a cold front came in and it dropped to 37° and it’s going to be in the 40’s this week. His enclosure is maybe 10 feet away from a big window, so I was wondering if maybe that is causing him to do this? Please help, I don't know what to do and I know sleeping during the day isn’t normal for veiled chameleons
Lets take this one step at a time starting with the most important nite time temp drop and how to keep it above or as close to 60°c /15°f Then what wattage and type of bulbs you are using during the day? And the schedule you have them on/off.. For example my fluorescents (t-5 arcaidia 12% 39w) are synchronized with the sun rise- first light they power on and they shut off 1 hr after dark (so they have time to get to there favorite branch) My Basking bulbs are 75w incandescent they come on 1 hr after first light and shut off 2 hrs before dark. I also run LED plant lites in unison with basking that my chams seem to like more than any other bulb despite 0 to little heat and supposedly no UV.

Back
Top Bottom