Chameleon Sleeping during the day

Help! My 3 month old male baby chameleon is sleeping during the day, I have only noticed it today. Here is his husbandry:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 3 month old male panther chameleon, has been in my care for 6 days
  • Handling - I do not handle my chameleon since I just got it
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon dubia roaches, BSFL, waxworms, and hornworms. 8 dubias, 3 BSFL, 1 hornworm and 1 waxworm everyday. I gut load my feeders with collard greens and carrots.
  • Supplements - I use calcium without d3 6 times a week, and then calcium with d3 once every other week. I use a multivitamin once every other week.
  • Watering - I use the mistking misting system and I mist my enclosure 3 times for 2 minutes every day. I have seen my chameleon drink once but I know he has probably been drinking more but they are shy eaters and drinkers.
  • Fecal Description - My chameleon has never been tested for parasites. His stool is dark brown and has a slimy substance over it.
  • History - I bought him from Roberson Reptiles and he was shipped from Florida to California overnight.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - My cage is a 2 x 2 x 4 screen enclosure
  • Lighting - I use a T5 HO 5.0 Linear UVB light. I use a basking light and another light for the plants to grow.
  • Temperature - The ambient temperature during the day is 70 degrees, its basking temperature is 80 degrees. I measure these temperatures with a temperature gun and the lowest the temp goes is 65 during the night.
  • Humidity - The humidity levels in the cage are 45% so I ordered plastic shower curtains to put on the sides of the enclosure to retain more moisture. I use a hydrometer to measure the humidity.
  • Plants - I am using all live plants- A money Tree, a Hawaiian Ti Plant, a Pothos plant, an Umbrella Tree, a Calathea Plant, a Wandering Jew, a Weeping Fig, a Spider plant, and a Prayer plant.
  • Placement - My cage is located in my room, very low traffic.
  • Location - I am in California

Help! My 3 month old male baby chameleon is sleeping during the day, I have only noticed it today. Here is his husbandry:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 3 month old male panther chameleon, has been in my care for 6 days
  • Handling - I do not handle my chameleon since I just got it
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon dubia roaches, BSFL, waxworms, and hornworms. 8 dubias, 3 BSFL, 1 hornworm and 1 waxworm everyday. I gut load my feeders with collard greens and carrots.
  • Supplements - I use calcium without d3 6 times a week, and then calcium with d3 once every other week. I use a multivitamin once every other week.
  • Watering - I use the mistking misting system and I mist my enclosure 3 times for 2 minutes every day. I have seen my chameleon drink once but I know he has probably been drinking more but they are shy eaters and drinkers.
  • Fecal Description - My chameleon has never been tested for parasites. His stool is dark brown and has a slimy substance over it.
  • History - I bought him from Roberson Reptiles and he was shipped from Florida to California overnight.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - My cage is a 2 x 2 x 4 screen enclosure
  • Lighting - I use a T5 HO 5.0 Linear UVB light. I use a basking light and another light for the plants to grow.
  • Temperature - The ambient temperature during the day is 70 degrees, its basking temperature is 80 degrees. I measure these temperatures with a temperature gun and the lowest the temp goes is 65 during the night.
  • Humidity - The humidity levels in the cage are 45% so I ordered plastic shower curtains to put on the sides of the enclosure to retain more moisture. I use a hydrometer to measure the humidity.
  • Plants - I am using all live plants- A money Tree, a Hawaiian Ti Plant, a Pothos plant, an Umbrella Tree, a Calathea Plant, a Wandering Jew, a Weeping Fig, a Spider plant, and a Prayer plant.
  • Placement - My cage is located in my room, very low traffic.
  • Location - I am in California
Hornworms and wax worms are recommended as treats more than staples. They are usually offered at 4 months old and up but as long as they’re small enough for him to eat I guess it’s fine I’m not sure though I wouldn’t personally. I don’t really see anything wrong with husbandry other than that but I recommend getting a fecal done as well as a check up with the vet. Checkups run around $60+ and usually you must have one done before you get a fecal which runs around $45+ (Based on the vets I called when I was looking). I’d also recommend getting two more done after that just in case. His poop might be like that because of the hornworm since hornworms are used to hydrate chams so they tend to make the poop a bit liquidy and you’ve been feeding them for 6 days I’m assuming? Also can we get pictures? (Someone else will review everything but I don’t think there is really anything wrong with husbandry) Sleeping during the day is not a good sign so an appointment with an experienced chameleon vet would be greatly encouraged!

Attachments

• 1B9BB694-FBFC-44F9-A1CC-EF40EFE98ABA.jpeg
    1B9BB694-FBFC-44F9-A1CC-EF40EFE98ABA.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 587BA1ED-D037-4B41-BB90-8AA86D6F08D9.jpeg
    587BA1ED-D037-4B41-BB90-8AA86D6F08D9.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 281
Could you post pictures of your cham and his setup? Honestly your husbandry looks quite good. Only thing I would ask is since he's such a little baby, how far away is your uvb/basking bulb from his basking branch? For babies they should be no closer than 8 or 9'' away from the uvb bulb. The closed eyes could be from getting too much uvb if the branch is too close or if he tends to climb on the top screen. Besides that, I would say get a fecal done just incase especially since you just got him. Little guys are super sensitive, so make sure you act fast before he starts to rapidly deteriorate. But, to end on a lighter note it seems like you're doing a good job taking care of him. :)

My juvenile chameleon is acting weird, He’s been what appears to be sleeping or closing his eye during the day. I’ve only had him for a week, but he’s not moving around the cage like he use too. And I mist the cage when it looks dry, I keep the humidity level between 40-70%, is basking light is set at 85 degrees, his ubv isn’t the ideal bulb reptisun 10.0 I believe but I also have him in front of my window in my bedroom and I’ve been feeding him crickets and wax worms. He’s eating has declined and I can’t tell if he is drinking water. I also have a water fountain that pumps water to insure he can get water if need be Please help!!

Starting your own thread wood be best to get proper responses. Make sure to include pics of your chameleon, his entire enclosure, and his lights, as well as the ask for help form filled out in as much detail as possible. Here’s the form:

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Its never good if your cham is sleeping during the day or closing his eyes. Its a sign of illnesses. The number one reason why chams close their eyes during the day is respiratory illness. This matter needs to be addressed immediately. I hope everything works out for the best with your chameleon.

Where'd you get that stat (just curious)? Closing their eyes usually means their body and immune system has been weakened so much by whatever's wrong
A vet told my cousin here in now Indiana. He had two Veileds do that and eventually passed. It ended up behind respiratory issues. But I also read it somewhere. I'll find where and share info with you. Also If you see your chameleons sleep during the day, this can be a sign there's something wrong with them. The chameleons could be sick, or there are too many lights in the cage that is irritating their eyes. Another reason could be dehydration causing them to sleep.

A vet told my cousin here in now Indiana. He had two Veileds do that and eventually passed. It ended up behind respiratory issues. But I also read it somewhere. I'll find where and share info with you. Also If you see your chameleons sleep during the day, this can be a sign there's something wrong with them. The chameleons could be sick, or there are too many lights in the cage that is irritating their eyes. Another reason could be dehydration causing them to sleep.
Here's where I read it... Didn't want to post a whole book 😁but here you go. Actually this might help save a cham.

Chameleon Medical: Closed Eyes​

• HOME
  • CHAMELEON MEDICAL: CLOSED EYES
panther with eye issue

Closed Eyes​

Description​

The eyes are, perhaps, the most complicated apparatus in the chameleon body and they serve as a rich communication tool as to how the chameleon feels. There is a lot that can go wrong and monitoring the eye every day can give us valuable check up information. Included here is a list of standard eye conditions you may run into and what they mean.
The healthy eye is alert and scanning the area at the end of a bulbous turret. When you are looking for your chameleon, the healthy chameleon will have had its eyes locked on you from the moment you stepped in the room. The only time a chameleon will not have its eyes open is when it is sleeping. If your chameleon has its eyes closed during the day this is an immediate warning sign. Chameleons do not nap. And healthy chameleons do not fall asleep on you. This is a sign of an overly stressed or sick chameleon.

Eye Conditions to Observe​

Healthy Eye​

healthy eye veiled chameleon
The healthy eye is active and alert. The eye turret is full. A healthy chameleon does not close its eyes during the day. They are on full alert as long as there is daylight.

Emotional Stress​

Chameleon sleeping on hand
Closed eyes are a major warning sign of something wrong. Unfortunately, different causes can have the same outward signs. One of the most common in captive husbandry is a chameleon so stressed out it shuts its eyes while on your hands. Unfortunately, humans mistake this final emotional stress shut down as trust and affection. Chameleons do not see the world as we or our dogs do and have a completely different outlook. Do NOT hold your chameleon to the point where it closes its eyes. It is not resting or sleeping comfortably. It is shutting down because it is so stressed.

Internal Distress​

female panther chameleon in egg binding distress
The eye is a great indication of the chameleon’s stress levels not only emotional, but physical as well. When the pain and discomfort get so great that they do not bother opening their eyes you know the situation is absolutely serious and a vet visit is needed as soon as possible.

Vitamin Deficiency​

panther with eye issue
Eyes can also be closed due to a medical reason that can include vitamin A deficiency, a scratch, or a foreign body stuck in the eye turret.

Sickness​

chameleon with its nose in the air
Sickness is another form of internal distress. Respiratory infections are the most common sickness that causes a chameleon to close his eyes during the day. This can also be from a parasite load which has gotten out of hand and is causing major discomfort in the digestive tract.

Sleeping​

Meller's Chameleon sleeping
The only time a chameleon should have its eyes closed is when they are sleeping at night. Chameleons do not nap so if they have their eyes closed during the day it is a medical situation. Note that captive chameleons adjust to the sudden lights-off darkness we subject them to by settling themselves in for the night 30 minutes or so before the lights turn off so this is the one exception to the rule. They can have their eyes closed during the last part of the day if they are settling in for the night.

TREATMENT​

Like many of these general symptoms, it is critical to determine why the eyes are closed. treatment for each of the various conditions will be completely different. This is where it takes quick observation and thinking to get to the next step.

Back
Top Bottom