Chameleon Sleeping during the day

Help! My 3 month old male baby chameleon is sleeping during the day, I have only noticed it today. Here is his husbandry:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 3 month old male panther chameleon, has been in my care for 6 days
  • Handling - I do not handle my chameleon since I just got it
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon dubia roaches, BSFL, waxworms, and hornworms. 8 dubias, 3 BSFL, 1 hornworm and 1 waxworm everyday. I gut load my feeders with collard greens and carrots.
  • Supplements - I use calcium without d3 6 times a week, and then calcium with d3 once every other week. I use a multivitamin once every other week.
  • Watering - I use the mistking misting system and I mist my enclosure 3 times for 2 minutes every day. I have seen my chameleon drink once but I know he has probably been drinking more but they are shy eaters and drinkers.
  • Fecal Description - My chameleon has never been tested for parasites. His stool is dark brown and has a slimy substance over it.
  • History - I bought him from Roberson Reptiles and he was shipped from Florida to California overnight.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - My cage is a 2 x 2 x 4 screen enclosure
  • Lighting - I use a T5 HO 5.0 Linear UVB light. I use a basking light and another light for the plants to grow.
  • Temperature - The ambient temperature during the day is 70 degrees, its basking temperature is 80 degrees. I measure these temperatures with a temperature gun and the lowest the temp goes is 65 during the night.
  • Humidity - The humidity levels in the cage are 45% so I ordered plastic shower curtains to put on the sides of the enclosure to retain more moisture. I use a hydrometer to measure the humidity.
  • Plants - I am using all live plants- A money Tree, a Hawaiian Ti Plant, a Pothos plant, an Umbrella Tree, a Calathea Plant, a Wandering Jew, a Weeping Fig, a Spider plant, and a Prayer plant.
  • Placement - My cage is located in my room, very low traffic.
  • Location - I am in California

cruz.m

Avid Member
Help! My 3 month old male baby chameleon is sleeping during the day, I have only noticed it today. Here is his husbandry:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 3 month old male panther chameleon, has been in my care for 6 days
  • Handling - I do not handle my chameleon since I just got it
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon dubia roaches, BSFL, waxworms, and hornworms. 8 dubias, 3 BSFL, 1 hornworm and 1 waxworm everyday. I gut load my feeders with collard greens and carrots.
  • Supplements - I use calcium without d3 6 times a week, and then calcium with d3 once every other week. I use a multivitamin once every other week.
  • Watering - I use the mistking misting system and I mist my enclosure 3 times for 2 minutes every day. I have seen my chameleon drink once but I know he has probably been drinking more but they are shy eaters and drinkers.
  • Fecal Description - My chameleon has never been tested for parasites. His stool is dark brown and has a slimy substance over it.
  • History - I bought him from Roberson Reptiles and he was shipped from Florida to California overnight.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - My cage is a 2 x 2 x 4 screen enclosure
  • Lighting - I use a T5 HO 5.0 Linear UVB light. I use a basking light and another light for the plants to grow.
  • Temperature - The ambient temperature during the day is 70 degrees, its basking temperature is 80 degrees. I measure these temperatures with a temperature gun and the lowest the temp goes is 65 during the night.
  • Humidity - The humidity levels in the cage are 45% so I ordered plastic shower curtains to put on the sides of the enclosure to retain more moisture. I use a hydrometer to measure the humidity.
  • Plants - I am using all live plants- A money Tree, a Hawaiian Ti Plant, a Pothos plant, an Umbrella Tree, a Calathea Plant, a Wandering Jew, a Weeping Fig, a Spider plant, and a Prayer plant.
  • Placement - My cage is located in my room, very low traffic.
  • Location - I am in California
Hornworms and wax worms are recommended as treats more than staples. They are usually offered at 4 months old and up but as long as they’re small enough for him to eat I guess it’s fine I’m not sure though I wouldn’t personally. I don’t really see anything wrong with husbandry other than that but I recommend getting a fecal done as well as a check up with the vet. Checkups run around $60+ and usually you must have one done before you get a fecal which runs around $45+ (Based on the vets I called when I was looking). I’d also recommend getting two more done after that just in case. His poop might be like that because of the hornworm since hornworms are used to hydrate chams so they tend to make the poop a bit liquidy and you’ve been feeding them for 6 days I’m assuming? Also can we get pictures? (Someone else will review everything but I don’t think there is really anything wrong with husbandry) Sleeping during the day is not a good sign so an appointment with an experienced chameleon vet would be greatly encouraged!

Attachments

• 1B9BB694-FBFC-44F9-A1CC-EF40EFE98ABA.jpeg
    1B9BB694-FBFC-44F9-A1CC-EF40EFE98ABA.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 587BA1ED-D037-4B41-BB90-8AA86D6F08D9.jpeg
    587BA1ED-D037-4B41-BB90-8AA86D6F08D9.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 20

skywes13

Could you post pictures of your cham and his setup? Honestly your husbandry looks quite good. Only thing I would ask is since he's such a little baby, how far away is your uvb/basking bulb from his basking branch? For babies they should be no closer than 8 or 9'' away from the uvb bulb. The closed eyes could be from getting too much uvb if the branch is too close or if he tends to climb on the top screen. Besides that, I would say get a fecal done just incase especially since you just got him. Little guys are super sensitive, so make sure you act fast before he starts to rapidly deteriorate. But, to end on a lighter note it seems like you're doing a good job taking care of him. :)

Top Bottom