Chameleon sleeping all day

dodgersalvarez

I had just recently gotten a 7 month old male panther chameleon. Ive had him for about 2 weeks now and all he's dont was sleep most of the day and sleep all night. I started doing my research and I saw that it could be emotional stress. Im thinking this because one night my dad had grabbed him out of his cage and dropped him. Ive been trying my absolute best to make him feel safe and make him feel at home. In my opinion i believe that what my pops did really messed him up.

Fill this out plz! And post pictures!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Fill this out plz! And post pictures!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
  • Your Chameleon - Male panther chameleon, 7 months, 2 weeks.
  • Handling - First day I got him I had to put him in his enclosure and then my dad grabbed him while sleeping and dropped him.
  • Feeding - Black Soldier Flys, Crickets, and Superworns. 1 of each. Every morning. Im not gut-loading.
  • Supplements - Rept-Cal, Calcium with D3, Calcium without D3, and a multivitamin. Calcium without D3 every day except for saturday. Every saturday I switch between the multivitamin and calcium with D3.
  • Watering - A handheld mister. 2 minutes. One time.
  • Fecal Description - Brown and rough. No.
  • History - Not that im aware of.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen. 16x16x30
  • Lighting - Zoo med, im not sure, UVB bulb and 100W heat bulb. 9:00 am - 9:45 pm
  • Temperature - 80 basking temp and 70 at bottom of the enclosure. 74 degrees. Digital thermometer and humidity.
  • Humidity - 19%. Moss and Misting. Digital humidity gage.
  • Plants - No
  • Placement - In my room. I have a fan and an air vent thats never on. 3 feet.
  • Location - SoCal

Need to raise the humidity, 3 mistings per day possibly more if your ambient so dry. Its even unhealthy for yourself such low humidity. I would invest in an automated mister if its difficult to offer the misting schedule.
What colour urates? I have a feeling your chameleon could be dehydrated if severe can cause organ failure particularly renal failure

Seems like a very urgent matter. Unless your dad injured the chameleon badly, it wouldn't be sleeping during the day. I do agree with the husbandry changes mentioned, but it sounds like it's to the point a vet needs to be seen or you may have a dead chameleon.

• Your Chameleon - Male panther chameleon, 7 months, 2 weeks.
  • Handling - First day I got him I had to put him in his enclosure and then my dad grabbed him while sleeping and dropped him. Why did you dad grab him?
  • Feeding - Black Soldier Flys, Crickets, and Superworns. 1 of each. Every morning. Im not gut-loading.Are you weighing him? Superworms should be given once or twice weekly not daily. More BSF can be fed and crickets. Why are you not gutloading?
  • Supplements - Rept-Cal, Calcium with D3, Calcium without D3, and a multivitamin. Calcium without D3 every day except for saturday. Every saturday I switch between the multivitamin and calcium with D3.
  • Watering - A handheld mister. 2 minutes. One time. make it 2-3 times and get a dripper going.
  • Fecal Description - Brown and rough. No.
  • History - Not that im aware of.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen. 16x16x30. He needs a bigger enclosures 2x2x4.
  • Lighting - Zoo med, im not sure, UVB bulb and This is very important. Is it a linear or compact? 100W heat bulb. 9:00 am - 9:45 pm
  • Temperature - 80 basking temp and 70 at bottom of the enclosure. 74 degrees. Digital thermometer and humidity.Basking can be up to 85.
  • Humidity - 19%. Moss and Misting. Digital humidity gage.
  • Plants - No Get some live plants in there. They will hold humidity better.
  • Placement - In my room. I have a fan and an air vent thats never on. 3 feet.
  • Location - SoCal

Attach pictures of chameleon and enclosure please.

Back
Top Bottom