Chameleon Selection

QueenKT

Hello!
I am trying to decide what kind of chameleon to get. I've had an Exo Terra XL (48x24x24) sitting unopened for a month or so now because I know I want to get a chameleon, I just want to be sure I have everything perfect first! I'm about to order lights, and I'm wading through bunches of different ideas for plants.
However! I have yet to decide which kind of chameleon I would like to start with. I'm kind of stuck between a Veiled and a Panther. There's lots of stuff on google about ease of care for each, but you can find completely countering articles based on the writers preference.
I do have some reptile experience, just not in the chameleon area. For reference, I have a snake and a pair of leopard geckos. Obviously those guys have different requirements than chameleons, but the things to monitor are similar and I feel like they give a good base.
However, obviously I'm no chameleon expert! I considered a Veiled first as their design is fascinating, but the Panther's colors are just as enthralling, so I'm stuck! Is one type way easier to take care of, and in your honest opinions is my couple years of reptile care applicable enough to chameleons I'm ready for one?
Important Addendum: The idea of females laying eggs really worries me, as I don't think I have enough experience to deal with that. I'm super anxious and would be worried the whole time of messing something up and hurting her, or her getting egg bound or something along those lines. So, I am definitely planning on getting a male.
Thanks!

Last edited:
My advice when deciding between a veiled and panther is go with the one you think looks coolest. Their care requirements are similar and temperament varies chameleon to chameleon. If eggs scare you and colors excite you, then I'd definitely recommend going with a male.

If you enjoy learning from videos, check out this YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1
If you enjoy reading, check out the care sheets on this forum: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/
If you enjoy podcasts, Chameleon Academy is chalked full of good info: https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-academy-podcast/

If you are worried about being new, you could go with a veiled because you will find the most information about them online. It seems they are not only known for being slightly easier, but that they are also the most common.

I think if your going to consider a Veiled you have to be ok with the possibility of getting bit.... Yeah sounds stupid but I am totally serious. The first year my male Veiled was extremely sweet... Then maturity hit and he has now become the typical male that puffs, hisses, and tries to bite my fingers.

Veileds are more known for being temperamental. Panthers are more commonly easy going.

As far as information. You can easily find info about Panthers as well as Veiled chams. They are the two most common and popular.

I started with a panther, moved to veileds, and have had both over the past 12 years. I had always dismissed the veileds, but the longer I've had them the more interesting I've found them to be. I try to avoid females, but have had a female panther in the past, and currently have a female veiled. Personality will vary by chameleon, though veileds can get cage-aggressive more frequently than panthers tend to, in my experience. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me, I'm happy to help!

I disagree when people say it is random with personality. Because there are a few exceptions does not mean that it is totally random. You are far more likely to have a chill panther than you are a veiled. I've had a nasty panther turn around and become extremely outgoing with a little work, I don't see that happen much with veileds. Sometimes they never develop that attitude, but the ones that do seem hell bent on hating you.

I would recommend a male panther. Based on your comments it sounds like this is what you truly want due to their cool colors. Color in addition to their common cool temperament I think this would work for you.

You are not guaranteed to get a friendly one but I think the odds are in your favor with a panther over a veiled. The first few months after getting my panther I thought he would never tolerate handling. He wasn't very aggressive but made it clear he did not want me to handle him. Over time through exposing my hand to him daily and hand feeding, he's completely changed and it is very hard to get him to show any kind of aggression. This started with hand exposure at day 1 and after 5 months he finally let me take him out of the cage and he's gotten better and better over time. Last year I was able to hold him relatively firmly to give him antibiotic injections 3 times a week for a month and he didn't even puff up or change color.

I started with a panther, moved to veileds, and have had both over the past 12 years. I had always dismissed the veileds, but the longer I've had them the more interesting I've found them to be. I try to avoid females, but have had a female panther in the past, and currently have a female veiled. Personality will vary by chameleon, though veileds can get cage-aggressive more frequently than panthers tend to, in my experience. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me, I'm happy to help!
Michelle... have you figured out how to make Veiled's less cage aggressive... I think that is what is going on with Beman... On the rare occasions I can get him away from his cage he mellows. But I am having a hard time just getting him out to do so.

Oh wow, every response here is gold. I love how half of it is more logical and the other half is just more personal and 'I just like this one better not sure why', exactly what I wanted!!
I'm still torn, they both are fascinating, but I think I'm leaning a bit more toward a panther. I love their coloring, and I think since they're a bit easier to handle it would be a better starter. I'm planning on basically just being a living tree that provides food and letting the little guy climb on me if he wants to.
Of course I'm hoping not to get bitten, but I won't be too worried if it does happen, especially as that seems to be almost normal the first few months. I think it's silly to get something that has teeth or claws, and then be surprised if it uses them! I've never understood people who are surprised when they startle their snake or something and get bitten. I'm more surprised that my snake hasn't bitten me over the last year and a half than I would be if he had!

I have seen an aggressive Veiled, but not an aggressive Panther, although it's not like I spend a lot of time around chameleons to be fair. The exotic pet store near me has a pretty vicious little female veiled, but honestly it's not really her fault. The owner told me that a woman had the chameleon and wasn't watching it very well, so her kids were just grabbing the poor thing all around the body and picking her right up! The woman's friend literally stole the chameleon and gave it to the pet store owner, and she had 13 broken ribs when he got her. You can see the bumps along her side from where they had been broken.

Michelle... have you figured out how to make Veiled's less cage aggressive... I think that is what is going on with Beman... On the rare occasions I can get him away from his cage he mellows. But I am having a hard time just getting him out to do so.

Honestly, time and patience. My male veiled was re-homed to me because the owner who had bought him became afraid of him. He had never taken him out, and Turk became cage aggressive. I've had him about year and a half at this point, and it took about 2 months or so to get him so I could take him out when I wanted. When I take him out it's not for show and tell, but instead I just carry him through the house to the back porch which is screened in. He's got the run of the 20' lanai and since it's screened in I have no worries about him being out there. He figured out that good things come when I want to pick him up, but if I see he's shedding or just really having an off-day he'll let me know and I back off. I try not to make any sudden movements and just stick my hand under his chin, so he can step up onto it.

His sister was also re-homed to me, and I've had her about 10 months. She was also very cage aggressive, but she would drop to the floor, and so I had to go even more slowly with her so that she didn't hurt herself. Since I've been home much more lately I've been able to take her out to the lanai so she could have her own time out there and she's been much more amenable (I wouldn't say friendly!) to that.

Honestly, time and patience. My male veiled was re-homed to me because the owner who had bought him became afraid of him. He had never taken him out, and Turk became cage aggressive. I've had him about year and a half at this point, and it took about 2 months or so to get him so I could take him out when I wanted. When I take him out it's not for show and tell, but instead I just carry him through the house to the back porch which is screened in. He's got the run of the 20' lanai and since it's screened in I have no worries about him being out there. He figured out that good things come when I want to pick him up, but if I see he's shedding or just really having an off-day he'll let me know and I back off. I try not to make any sudden movements and just stick my hand under his chin, so he can step up onto it.

His sister was also re-homed to me, and I've had her about 10 months. She was also very cage aggressive, but she would drop to the floor, and so I had to go even more slowly with her so that she didn't hurt herself. Since I've been home much more lately I've been able to take her out to the lanai so she could have her own time out there and she's been much more amenable (I wouldn't say friendly!) to that.
Thank you... I am hoping he will be more open to me taking him out again. I have plans to build him a large outdoor enclosure for him to enjoy. Right now his personality has become so different from the first year it is like learning how to interact with a totally different chameleon.

Hello!
I am trying to decide what kind of chameleon to get. I've had an Exo Terra XL (48x24x24) sitting unopened for a month or so now because I know I want to get a chameleon, I just want to be sure I have everything perfect first! I'm about to order lights, and I'm wading through bunches of different ideas for plants.
However! I have yet to decide which kind of chameleon I would like to start with. I'm kind of stuck between a Veiled and a Panther. There's lots of stuff on google about ease of care for each, but you can find completely countering articles based on the writers preference.
I do have some reptile experience, just not in the chameleon area. For reference, I have a snake and a pair of leopard geckos. Obviously those guys have different requirements than chameleons, but the things to monitor are similar and I feel like they give a good base.
However, obviously I'm no chameleon expert! I considered a Veiled first as their design is fascinating, but the Panther's colors are just as enthralling, so I'm stuck! Is one type way easier to take care of, and in your honest opinions is my couple years of reptile care applicable enough to chameleons I'm ready for one?
Important Addendum: The idea of females laying eggs really worries me, as I don't think I have enough experience to deal with that. I'm super anxious and would be worried the whole time of messing something up and hurting her, or her getting egg bound or something along those lines. So, I am definitely planning on getting a male.
Thanks!

Hello there , we have both panthers and veiled’s currently . Keeping them is much of the same . You being new would fallow guidelines , where experienced keepers may tweak things . You have a lot of experienced keepers answering on this thread .

The issue is cage aggression with veiled’s . They are beautiful as are panthers . Male veiled’s get huge they do best in a free range set up if wanting to avoid Cage aggression . Panthers Tolerate enclosure better . If you decide on a veiled check in with @jannb all her kiddo’s are free ranged . Jann has mastered the set up , she also has babies . You can’t go wrong with either for beauty it’s really in the eyes of the beholder , Best of luck . .

Cage aggression means they are defending their territory, like the others said, every chameleon is different, I have mellow and aggressive panther chameleons..babies and adults

Hello there , we have both panthers and veiled’s currently . Keeping them is much of the same . You being new would fallow guidelines , where experienced keepers may tweak things . You have a lot of experienced keepers answering on this thread .

The issue is cage aggression with veiled’s . They are beautiful as are panthers . Male veiled’s get huge they do best in a free range set up if wanting to avoid Cage aggression . Panthers Tolerate enclosure better . If you decide on a veiled check in with @jannb all her kiddo’s are free ranged . Jann has mastered the set up , she also has babies . You can’t go wrong with either for beauty it’s really in the eyes of the beholder , Best of luck . .

@QueenKT
I am will to work with new keepers IF they are eager to learn or find them a mentor here on the Chameleon Forums. @Kristen Wilkins @absolutbill. @Beman

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hammy-ivy-baby-veileds-pre-sale-until-5-10-20.174666/

Back
Top Bottom