Chameleon screen climbing behavior

joeym928

I recently transferred my approx. 1 year old veiled chameleon into a new enclosure XL reptibreeze. Measuring 24x24x48. It seems my chameleon will climb the screen up and down for about 75% of the day. I’m not sure why he does this and always wants out of his enclosure. He’ll try to come out as soon as I open the enclosure door. I’m not sure if he doesn’t like his new set up. I tried to put full effort into making it a great husbandry for him. He used to be in a smaller, “medium reptibreeze” cage and did similar behavior.

My temps are good in the high 80s for basking. Humidity is about 45% between misting. Will go to about 70% after misting.

if anyone has any tips or experience with this same behavior from their chameleon please let me know! Thank you!

Attachments

• 448235EC-EEA5-4E59-9DF1-A0E0FA596071.jpeg
    448235EC-EEA5-4E59-9DF1-A0E0FA596071.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 487AD958-335A-4975-A032-8F5A551015C9.jpeg
    487AD958-335A-4975-A032-8F5A551015C9.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 118
  • FA631C24-000D-4713-ACD4-3B62407565E3.jpeg
    FA631C24-000D-4713-ACD4-3B62407565E3.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 115
So this comes down to a few things. Males will patrol their territory relentlessly when they reach maturity. Also if they feel exposed they will want to get out to find somewhere better. While the enclosure looks great I think he would benefit from a fuller plant more towards the front. Right now it is all very open and exposed. There are other things you can do as well. Adding bamboo mats to the sides so he is not seeing out will help make him feel less exposed.

There is little you can do to limit the behavior. I had to go with a hybrid cage to stop mine from doing it. After he broke a few nails and I had tried all the tricks I made the switch. You can add laddice to the inside side panels. This would also help you attach branches to it rather then the screen. But then he can not climb the sides.

Temps at basking should sit 80-85 max.

So this comes down to a few things. Males will patrol their territory relentlessly when they reach maturity. Also if they feel exposed they will want to get out to find somewhere better. While the enclosure looks great I think he would benefit from a fuller plant more towards the front. Right now it is all very open and exposed. There are other things you can do as well. Adding bamboo mats to the sides so he is not seeing out will help make him feel less exposed.
There is little you can do to limit the behavior. I had to go with a hybrid cage to stop mine from doing it. After he broke a few nails and I had tried all the tricks I made the switch. You can add laddice to the inside side panels. This would also help you attach branches to it rather then the screen. But then he can not climb the sides.

Temps at basking should sit 80-85 max.

Thank you for your reply. Yes it does seem too open my plan was to wait for the plants to grow in. But for now I think I’ll just have to find a fuller plant to give some privacy. The bamboo Mats are also a good idea I’ll give those a go as well! Thanks for the ideas

Thank you for your reply. Yes it does seem too open my plan was to wait for the plants to grow in. But for now I think I’ll just have to find a fuller plant to give some privacy. The bamboo Mats are also a good idea I’ll give those a go as well! Thanks for the ideas
Your welcome :)

Welcome to the forum.
I recently transferred my approx. 1 year old veiled chameleon into a new enclosure XL reptibreeze. Measuring 24x24x48. It seems my chameleon will climb the screen up and down for about 75% of the day. I’m not sure why he does this and always wants out of his enclosure. He’ll try to come out as soon as I open the enclosure door. I’m not sure if he doesn’t like his new set up. I tried to put full effort into making it a great husbandry for him. He used to be in a smaller, “medium reptibreeze” cage and did similar behavior.

My temps are good in the high 80s for basking. Humidity is about 45% between misting. Will go to about 70% after misting.

if anyone has any tips or experience with this same behavior from their chameleon please let me know! Thank you!
This may have nothing at all to do with husbandry. All living creatures have an instinct to expand their territory in search of greener pastures (and nookie).

Ceiling egg crate on the inside of the screens can give them a way to climb without ripping out claws.

1636219432183.png

Mine charges me every time I open the door as well. The reason is that he's been out before, and wants the same again.

1636219895472.png

Yours now knows (at the very least) that ways out are possible, like when you upgraded his enclosure.

As the song title goes...

How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm After They've Seen Paree?​

Back
Top Bottom