Chameleon Rooms and Visual Barriers

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm curious what techniques people are using to create visual barriers in situations such as breeder rooms, chameleon rooms, and greenhouses - where there are cages facing each other or in sight of each other (such as cages lining the walls in the shape of an L). I am not looking to set up a breeding room, but I have decided it would be best to move the chameleons to my basement, for multiple reasons. One too many water spills or over sprays on the wood floors, for one!

My dilemma is that my basement has a bathroom right in the middle of it - so the side of the room I'd like to use is shaped like a C. or |_| . I could only put the cages on the | | walls, so the cages would be facing each other. This would allow me to setup easy access to drainage and water, and they'd actually fit (mostly) in that configuration. There is also a small wall, attached to the C, that would be like this |___|---. That's where I was going to place my desk, as there's a pellet stove across from it. I was thinking I could put the girls on that wall, to keep them less visible, but it then creates a problem with the water and drainage. I could just do things the old fashioned way and empty a bucket for them on that wall, I guess. Or pump it into the bathroom...but obviously that's a lot less convenient than draining directly into plumbing. Then there is the question of whether or not the pellet stove (fire!) will scare them.

I don't want to cover the doors to the cages because it defeats the purpose of their clear-sided enclosures. I'm also planning on moving my office down there so that I can sit and admire them instead of doing any work. I'd prefer not to hang a curtain but I can't see another way. I thought about trees in the middle, but the room is only about 8' wide, so it would be way too tight. What are you guys doing to create visual barriers and separation in these situations? Are you relying only on foliage to provide coverage? Letting them see each other?

Why is it so important to have visual barrier from a distance? Wouldn’t it be just like in nature where one Cham is in one tree 🌳 and there’s another Cham in another 🌳 with them being able to see each other but not cross paths? I do see the point when the cages are side by side but if your having 2 separate walls across from each other then I don’t really see a issue with that.

I'm curious what techniques people are using to create visual barriers in situations such as breeder rooms, chameleon rooms, and greenhouses - where there are cages facing each other or in sight of each other (such as cages lining the walls in the shape of an L). I am not looking to set up a breeding room, but I have decided it would be best to move the chameleons to my basement, for multiple reasons. One too many water spills or over sprays on the wood floors, for one!

My dilemma is that my basement has a bathroom right in the middle of it - so the side of the room I'd like to use is shaped like a C. or |_| . I could only put the cages on the | | walls, so the cages would be facing each other. This would allow me to setup easy access to drainage and water, and they'd actually fit (mostly) in that configuration. There is also a small wall, attached to the C, that would be like this |___|---. That's where I was going to place my desk, as there's a pellet stove across from it. I was thinking I could put the girls on that wall, to keep them less visible, but it then creates a problem with the water and drainage. I could just do things the old fashioned way and empty a bucket for them on that wall, I guess. Or pump it into the bathroom...but obviously that's a lot less convenient than draining directly into plumbing. Then there is the question of whether or not the pellet stove (fire!) will scare them.

I don't want to cover the doors to the cages because it defeats the purpose of their clear-sided enclosures. I'm also planning on moving my office down there so that I can sit and admire them instead of doing any work. I'd prefer not to hang a curtain but I can't see another way. I thought about trees in the middle, but the room is only about 8' wide, so it would be way too tight. What are you guys doing to create visual barriers and separation in these situations? Are you relying only on foliage to provide coverage? Letting them see each other?

So it is not exactly the same, but I have a macaw in my room. The clear line of sight was definitely stressing him out. I ended up getting cheap fake vines and plants then hung it from the ceiling on a cord. Like a curtain. It worked great
C82051A2-B8CC-416F-8DB5-935031177BA4.jpeg

Why is it so important to have visual barrier from a distance? Wouldn’t it be just like in nature where one Cham is in one tree 🌳 and there’s another Cham in another 🌳 with them being able to see each other but not cross paths? I do see the point when the cages are side by side but if your having 2 separate walls across from each other then I don’t really see a issue with that.

Currently, my guys can spot each other through a needle hole from the next room, and get pissy. My
Veiled, especially, gets fired up at the sight and instantly patrols (normally he’s a total sweetie).

The room is about 8’ wide, so figure that’s 4 feet between them. If they fire up at 25’ I cant imagine 4.

Currently, my guys can spot each other through a needle hole from the next room, and get pissy. My
Veiled, especially, gets fired up at the sight and instantly patrols (normally he’s a total sweetie).

The room is about 8’ wide, so figure that’s 4 feet between them. If they fire up at 25’ I cant imagine 4.
Well if that’s the case of your chams getting all fired up after seeing another through a needle hole 🕳 your SOL and would need solid walls between them 🤷🏻‍♂️

If it’s not an option to put them in the center back to back maybe a plant or curtain is necessary. I really like CaskAbove’s curtain of greenery. Found a couple things that might work for you. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you and your clan.😊

Attachments

• 0F4D6F06-B8F6-455D-85B2-111831D6E4E1.png
    0F4D6F06-B8F6-455D-85B2-111831D6E4E1.png
    441.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 84484A7F-9838-4F05-B59B-DB1D6B44A890.png
    84484A7F-9838-4F05-B59B-DB1D6B44A890.png
    858.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 4946C333-D4E5-46D5-A1BF-794EAA75950E.png
    4946C333-D4E5-46D5-A1BF-794EAA75950E.png
    379.5 KB · Views: 95
If it’s not an option to put them in the center back to back maybe a plant or curtain is necessary. I really like CaskAbove’s curtain of greenery. Found a couple things that might work for you. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you and your clan.😊

Back to back is a good idea. I think the room is just a little too small and I wouldnt be able to open the doors fully or have much room,

I'm also planning on moving my office down there so that I can sit and admire them instead of doing any work. I'd prefer not to hang a curtain but I can't see another way.
That's funny because it's true. My girls and babies are in my office and all I do is stare at them and get hardly any work done. I'm going to go check on them all the time anyway and it saves me a trip.
I've been looking at expanding into the garage and using an indoor outdoor settup where the cage banks get rolled out for sun and back in for temperature control. The only way this will work is with parallel cage banks. I was planing on hanging curtains in between. Would like to know if you come up with a better solution.

Cautionary Tale: I did have one male damage his horns in what I think was an attempt to get to another species female 7 yards away across the patio. Even when his view was blocked he continued to try to get out of the cage. I had to move him to another cage to convince him to stop. "Shiv" has now earned himself a spot in my breeding program. He had great horns and still has beautiful colors and I look forward to having that in future generations.

All them fake plants you have a valid or deft one if so valids tend to nipple at plants just sayin your Cham could get Impaction

Are these valid safe ? Just curious

Hey, if that's where your office is, every day is "Take your chameleon to work day"! 😁
My dog sleeps under my desk when I'm in my home office, but my lizards are a room away (no window in here).

Back
Top Bottom