Chameleon Prolapse?

Caleb.203

This is my almost 2 year old Cham. He stopped eating daily around a week into December and has part of his anus out, and what looks to be feces. I'm not sure if this is a prolapse of if he is constipated and needs a warm bath or something to get it out. Feel free to ask for any other information you need. I just want to know whats wrong with him. He has a brand new UVB light and a ceramic heat lamp that keeps the cage around 85 at its hottest point and 78 at lowest. I usually feed him super worms and dusted them about 3 times a week in calcium (3 a day) and I recently put in some crickets and he ate a few (1-3) and has been staying on the ground a lot lately, but he has bright colors when sleeping and parts of the day and when I pick him up he has a decent grip and moves a little. He used to sit in a corner a week ago and now he does a full circle or 2 around the cage.

Attachments

• 20201220_204906.jpg
    20201220_204906.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 150
Superworms should not be given 3 times a week, they have a lot of chitin which is a very fibrous substance of polysaccharides that makes their exoscelleton, they are very hard to digest and should be used as treat only. They certainly could cost this problem. bath him in the water so it is submerged for 20-30 minutes and then gently try to remove it, if it don't melt away in the tepid water by itself. Make sure after it's clean that you see another poop, that came out, mist, mist, mist, as drinking (hydration) will help as well, and STOP the superworms for a while, and later just as a treat. They have a lot of fat too, so not the greatest source of nutrition.

Superworms should not be given 3 times a week, they have a lot of chitin which is a very fibrous substance of polysaccharides that makes their exoscelleton, they are very hard to digest and should be used as treat only. They certainly could cost this problem. bath him in the water so it is submerged for 20-30 minutes and then gently try to remove it, if it don't melt away in the tepid water by itself. Make sure after it's clean that you see another poop, that came out, mist, mist, mist, as drinking (hydration) will help as well, and STOP the superworms for a while, and later just as a treat. They have a lot of fat too, so not the greatest source of nutrition.
Thank you so much. Should I also mist the problem area till it retracts back in?

That looks like it may be a hemipenal plug. If once the debris (whatever it may be) is removed and the prolapsed tissue doesn’t return inside, you’ll need to keep it moist with water based lubricant and get to vet ASAP.

Can you post a couple more photos of the area.
If it's a hemipenes plug it can be very carefully removed...however if it's a part of the hemipenes itself then you don't want to be pulling on it. I wish I could give you a better answer but I can't see it clearly enough and I, not a vet so I likely can't be sure anyway from a photo.

Can you post a couple more photos of the area.
If it's a hemipenes plug it can be very carefully removed...however if it's a part of the hemipenes itself then you don't want to be pulling on it. I wish I could give you a better answer but I can't see it clearly enough and I, not a vet so I likely can't be sure anyway from a photo.

Attachments

• 20201221_075702.jpg
    20201221_075702.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 360
  • 20201221_075710.jpg
    20201221_075710.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 133
Good job, if everything looks good, no more protrusions it should be ok, keep it moist, you could even apply with a q-tip small amount of antibiotic ointment like triple antibiotic ointment or bacitracin to the area, it will keep it moist as well. But not necessary if it looks good, just remove the superworms from his diet, BSFL, discoids, dubia or crickets make a better meal for him, and keep dusting them.

Back
Top Bottom