Chameleon problems on his backside

Hey so I just wanted to follow up they said he’s been sick since I’ve had him they said the breeder I got him from probably had bred them wrong cause he’s been sick since I’ve had him but it’s only my first chameleon so I couldn’t tell so they said the best thing to do would be to put him down the breeder I got him from had inbred him
MBD is not inbred and caused months after Hatch. Get a new vet. Do not put your boy down!

They can live a good and long life after MBD. I know allot of good chameleon vets. Where do you live in GA?

MBD is not inbred and caused months after Hatch. Get a new vet. Do not put your boy down!

They can live a good and long life after MBD. I know allot of good chameleon vets. Where do you live in GA?
It wasn’t MBD it was rubber jaw she said that’s genetic she said rubber jaw is similar to the way MBD works but it was called rubber jaw

This vet deals with us all the time I trust her a lot personally she helps us with our snakes and dogs I don’t mean to sound rude
I didn’t want them to put him down either but they said he was a product of a lot inbreeding and said that he just looks like he’s been sick since he was born and I didn’t get him till he was about a month to two months okd

It wasn’t MBD it was rubber jaw she said that’s genetic she said rubber jaw is similar to the way MBD works but it was called rubber jaw
No such thing, I’ve heard of severe cases of MBD being referred to that by people who are not very Knowledgeable. From the photos you posted if your boy had MBD at all it was by no means a severe case and could be easily treaded. This is what a bad case of MBD looks like and they are unable to walk. Legs are broken, 😥

https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

Last edited:
Alright well I don’t really wanna argue on a forum the vet said that he’s been sick since before I got him I really don’t know what I’m supposed to say they already had him put down
That is very sad. That vet had no chameleon knowledge at all. 😥 If a vet did that to one of my guys, I’d be contacting an attorney. I’d definitely pick him up and take him to another vet for a necropsy.

Last edited:
Here’s what MBD looks like
014705BD-12F9-4202-A09D-02F3180DB34A.jpeg

https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

That is very sad. That vet had no chameleon knowledge at all. 😥
She knows a lot about reptiles and chameleons she just said there was a lot of issues with him since before I had him that I didn’t know about abs I know what MBD is I researched so much before I got a chameleon cause I wanted to make sure it had a healthy life I just couldn’t find out what else was wrong with him she said that he pretty much rotting from the inside out and that he had a lot of genetic issues fuck man just leave it no reason to be rude and say she had no knowledge at all

She knows a lot about reptiles and chameleons she just said there was a lot of issues with him since before I had him that I didn’t know about abs I know what MBD is I researched so much before I got a chameleon cause I wanted to make sure it had a healthy life I just couldn’t find out what else was wrong with him she said that he pretty much rotting from the inside out and that he had a lot of genetic issues fuck man just leave it no reason to be rude and say she had no knowledge at all
I say that because a knowledgeable vet would not say things like that. I have been keeping for 15+ years and have a good relationship with reptile vets that have good chameleon knowledge all over the US and some in other countries. He looks really good in the pictures, other that the prolapse which is easily fixable by a reptile vet. He may have had a mild case of MBD but alittle liquid calcium would have fixed that. Your boy looked good here.
C021A97B-B371-4B88-9E6E-426CCDA94CA9.jpeg

I say that because a knowledgeable vet would not say things like that. I have been keeping for 15+ years and have a good relationship with reptile vets that have good chameleon knowledge all over the US and some in other countries. He looks really good in the pictures, other that the prolapse which is easily fixable by a reptile vet. He may have had a mild case of MBD but alittle liquid calcium would have fixed that. Your boy looked good here.
View attachment 294646
Sorry I’m just kind of sad cause I didn’t wanna him to die I was researching all the time and that picture there is just after we got him and had for about a month

Sorry I’m just kind of sad cause I didn’t wanna him to die I was researching all the time and that picture there is just after we got him and had for about a month
I’m very sorry for your loss and that this happened to you but know from now on there’s not many vets with chameleon experience, even though they say they are experienced and they will definitely take your money.

Hey @T1 Anime, I'm very sorry for your loss.

It's a raw moment for all of us. We simply want what is best for you and your chameleon. Nothing makes us happier than seeing a happy cham owner with a healthy (or recovering) chameleon. So in that regard, we all feel for you. Losing a pet can be super tough to get through. We are all here for you.

But @jannb is right, mbd is commonly referred to as rubber jaw and is not genetic. It is a sign of incorrect husbandry. But that doesn't make you a bad owner. Nobody thinks of you as any less. We are all here to learn together.

And I also agree with @jannb that your boy looked pretty healthy in that pic. It seems like you provided him a really good life.

And the vet that you take your other pets to, well...she could be really good and experienced with other species of reptiles--but just not with chameleons. Many people on the forums, such as @jannb have more experience with chameleons than almost any vet out there.

Anyways, we are all here for you. I'm sorry you had to go through all of this.

Back
Top Bottom