Chameleon plummeted a meter!

RevAnton

Hi,

my chameleon fell over a metre today on to the bottom of his enclosure. he didn't hit anything on the way down he just fell onto the flat floor. His enclosure is 120cm high and he is 7 months old.

He doesn't seem to have damaged himself but is there anything I should keep an eye out for in particular other than just keeping a eye on him in general?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Ant

Keep an eye out for stiffness and limping and darker colors that could indicate a problem. Also make sure his breathing is normal. Chams have cartilage ribs and they generally puff them when they fall so as to help cushion the blow but sometimes they can be damaged. Just give him space but keep an eye on him. If you suspect a problem then get him to a vet ASAP!

That must have given you a scare. These guys are built to take a fall. I would keep an eye on him. Look for changes in behaviour and perhaps bruising. Why did he fall? Could he do it again? Is they're anything you could change in his viv to prevent him doing it again?:)

Mine did a similar thing fell like 6 feet. I was scared to death. I looked over all her legs ran my fingers over them to feel for breaks. She got mad but delt with it. I put her somewhere she would have to climb, so I could make sure she was walking like normal. Watch to make sure their eating like normal.

Nothing has changed in his viv and there is nothing I can do to make it safer. He went to climb on the top section of meshing (as he does everyday) and just missed his footing and dropped. April19872006 It was horrible, almost like watching a child fall over! He seems fine i will just keep an eye on him.

Thanks for your advice guys

Ant

Back
Top Bottom