Chameleon parasites exist in u.s. or is it science fiction???

You not only have to catch them but hold then in an uncontaminated container/cage until they produce feces. You can use a fecal loop to extract a sample but the risk to the animal seems unwarranted an inhumane.

Very true, however to do this for a Floridian wouldn't be too difficult. Could buy some of those mesh laundry hampers for a couple dollars each from a dollar store, would work okay ish, for a day or 2, and could easily be disposed at that price.

I wonder how Mr. Necas feels about vaccinating people... he just strikes me as an eccentric, very opinionated person. He may be the Stephen Hawkings of Chameleon study, but if so, the way he presents his points as opinions discredits whatever science or study might be behind it.

I don't know much about parasites or their traits... but aren't parasites and pathogens typically pretty adaptable?

Also, aren't many of the "wild" colonies in Florida actually chameleon farms? They were purposefully released to reproduce in someone's property... those same people who are quick to shoot (real bullets) at anyone who tries to catch one anywhere near their property (including from the public road).

Also, aren't many of the "wild" colonies in Florida actually chameleon farms? They were purposefully released to reproduce in someone's property... those same people who are quick to shoot (real bullets) at anyone who tries to catch one anywhere near their property (including from the public road).

Yep, Ranching, Farming what have you.

Free Money at the cost of endangering animals, hurting the Florida ecosystem, and feeding the Petco Machine, for low priced animals that are then left to die again.

Just to clarify some of this conversation may be out of context. I don't know about this specific conversation but I have read discussions about feeding wild caught insects. It would be true that in most of the continental US wild caught insects would not harbor species specific parasites known to infect chameleons. I would agree with the logic of that statement. I would not feel comfortable with that statement extending to Hawaii, Florida, an area of the California coast or areas of Louisiana where feral populations have been reported. Also if you dump the waste water or dirt from your untested and untreated chameleons in your yard then I would not collect insects there.

Just to clarify some of this conversation may be out of context. I don't know about this specific conversation but I have read discussions about feeding wild caught insects. It would be true that in most of the continental US wild caught insects would not harbor species specific parasites known to infect chameleons. I would agree with the logic of that statement. I would not feel comfortable with that statement extending to Hawaii, Florida, an area of the California coast or areas of Louisiana where feral populations have been reported. Also if you dump the waste water or dirt from your untested and untreated chameleons in your yard then I would not collect insects there.

I would also assume this for things like Coccidia, I am not sure if that would class to all parasites, like we were speaking of before Rat Lungworm, I think that could be an issue with any WC Snail, anywhere, though again I am not sure the effects if any that would have on a Chameleon.

I am not sure of Salty's post, or how he framed it at all. I know his post was inspired by us talking about mine, though I am not sure if he framed it the same way.

Hopefully Salty will chime in with how he Framed his, to be clear we are talking about the same thing.

The good thing is, a good friend of mine has a PhD in biology and runs the greenhouses at sac state and says the community wants to study chameleons, behaviour, etc... he is a very good person, loves animals, so I sold him a beautiful cham, he has an 34 x 14 x 48 viv all set up very nice...the bad thing is he says the parasites that infest chameleons are here in the u.s.

I'm curious about the concern over parasites in wc insects like snails and crickets, which are rumored to carry/host lungworm. Also, aren't common flies and dragonflies hosts to many parasites such as nematodes? I guess I am not understanding how some parasites are host specific, while things like nematodes/worms aren't considered transferable. I am not arguing, but asking for my own education.

I'm sorry I haven't had time to read all the responses, my friend Daniel biologist at sac state I talked to yesterday said yes, there are parasites that infect chams in the u.s., since I've tried to contact him about the specific specimen but he is more busy than I am..... he specializes in animals, another biologist I know graduate from davis , Sarah zumwalt who specializes in human biology, has asked me specific what parasites, scientific names

host specific
Your right about host specific but there are parasites that infest accidental hosts like the lungworm raccoons carry can accidentally be introduced to the human immune system and because it’s not meant to be in our system it will travel to other parts of the body instead of staying in the G.I. track like it would in a raccoon.

Edit:Sorry for the confusing I meant roundworm not lung that s my mistake

Last edited:
Chameleons are subject to a variety of parasites. The most commonly occurring intestinal parasites are nematodes (ascarids, strongyloides, pentastomes) protozoa (coccidia, flagellates, cryptosporidia, amoeba) and trematodes (flukes). Source UVMA.org
I recall it is very rare to find lungworm on fecal examination it is usually found in a sample taken from a tracheal wash in mammals.

I wonder how Mr. Necas feels about vaccinating people... he just strikes me as an eccentric, very opinionated person. He may be the Stephen Hawkings of Chameleon study, but if so, the way he presents his points as opinions discredits whatever science or study might be behind it.

I don't know much about parasites or their traits... but aren't parasites and pathogens typically pretty adaptable?

parasites of reptiles are in a vast majority of cases vers closely specialized and they even do not infest another species of chameleons.

majority of chameleon parasites are heteroxenous, so to be able to keep their population alice, you would need to bring and keep their other hosts like mosquitos, snails etc, which are again very specific

Contrary to the presented belief, parasites are very delicar and not too adaptive creatures
There are some exceptions such as eg Some oxyurids or cryptosporidians. Now, both show a rather low pthogenity in chameleons...

i analyzed tens of fecal samples of wild Florida Yemen Chameleons and in the most, I found no parasites. evidence of ansence? No, just an indication that very likely, there is nothing, if in any and every sample form the wild ones you get some...

I was lucky to find some oxyurid eggs in 1x concentration and was thrilled ti proove myself wrong and find out more. I was disappointed, as they were pseudopatasites: oxyurid parasites of the digested food, not the ones parasitong on chameleons

it would be better ti orovide sime proofs ratjer than to comment why I am wrong with blank statements

I am excemtric and opinionated man? Well, every of my opinions have a base, I do not comstruct them from the air. To spit into someones back not addressing himself directly is IMHO one of the ugliest behavioral patterns that humans invented.

parasites of reptiles are in a vast majority of cases vers closely specialized and they even do not infest another species of chameleons.

majority of chameleon parasites are heteroxenous, so to be able to keep their population alice, you would need to bring and keep their other hosts like mosquitos, snails etc, which are again very specific

Contrary to the presented belief, parasites are very delicar and not too adaptive creatures
There are some exceptions such as eg Some oxyurids or cryptosporidians. Now, both show a rather low pthogenity in chameleons...

i analyzed tens of fecal samples of wild Florida Yemen Chameleons and in the most, I found no parasites. evidence of ansence? No, just an indication that very likely, there is nothing, if in any and every sample form the wild ones you get some...

I was lucky to find some oxyurid eggs in 1x concentration and was thrilled ti proove myself wrong and find out more. I was disappointed, as they were pseudopatasites: oxyurid parasites of the digested food, not the ones parasitong on chameleons

I'm not sure if it was brought up in this thread or another, however someone was wanting to test parasites in said wild populations.

I'm not sure about the host comment, being with mosquitos and snails. Or the statement that parasites that are delicate.

Coccidia is known to survive for up to 2 years without a host. The host is not a mosquito, it's the Chameleon. Intermediate host of anything that makes fecal contact.

If coccidia can live in our cages for up to 2 years or more, which it is known to do. How can it not live in Florida in chameleon feces?

So if I live in Florida and keep my Chams outdoors I have no concern of Parasites? I do not need to clean the cage, or dispose of it after dealing with coccidia in the animal that resides in it?

I'm not sure, how you think these chameleons get where they are are? These are WC vieleds and Panthers being purchased in large quantities, and released in Florida areas to go back and take babies to sell.

It's called "Chameleon Ranching", it's illegal, but it's easy free breeding, with only profit. Folks that would do such a thing, do not care if the animal has a parasite, they buy WCs for a cheap price in case they are stolen.

I do not know, if chameleons can pass Coccidia to their eggs, however that could further the spread? Surely it's possible even if the Coccidia lives on the egg pre hatched.

it would be better ti orovide sime proofs ratjer than to comment why I am wrong with blank statements

I am excemtric and opinionated man? Well, every of my opinions have a base, I do not comstruct them from the air. To spit into someones back not addressing himself directly is IMHO one of the ugliest behavioral patterns that humans invented.
If this is true why have I been trying to get my captive hatched veiled chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus) to been coccidia free for over a year now? If in fact the parasites don’t live here in the USA like you keep ranting about?

If this is true why have I been trying to get my captive hatched veiled chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus) to been coccidia free for over a year now? If I’m fact the parasites don’t live here in the USA like you keep ranting about?

I was actually just reading on Madcham. Coccidia, does spread via egg shells.

It will infect offspring.

Let's be honest, Coccidia is what we are all concerned with or worried about.

I wondered this , it was a question back in may or so of mine that no one could answer . Can you provide link or pm me it ????.

Yes it’s only spread by fecal, so if your chameleon eats the infected fecal that’s the only way to get it.

I had this talk with my vet a week ago, also talked about how there are lots of strands of coccidia

Back
Top Bottom