Chameleon parasites exist in u.s. or is it science fiction???

What about lungworm? We are warned to be careful with wildcaught insects (snails especially) for their potential to transmit it. Genuine question. We hear so much about parasites transmitted by snails, wild flies, dragonflies, etc. which is it? Can they transmit parasites or not?

Also, how are wild populations parasite free, when they were populated by reptiles potentially already infected/infested? What about other species’ parasites? Florida, Texas, and Hawaii have loads of wild reptiles. If Coccidia can be transmitted to chams from beardies, cannot it not be transmitted via other reptiles?

These are honest questions, not trying to be argumentative.

If this is true why have I been trying to get my captive hatched veiled chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus) to been coccidia free for over a year now? If in fact the parasites don’t live here in the USA like you keep ranting about?

I do ranting?
If you read my text, I soeak abouc coccidia as ine of the possible options, so cslm doen please.
If you are interested in the answer, then itnis very likely in the hygiene of your breeding fscilities: once yoj get infested it with cryptosporidians, you csn not get rid of it for decades...
Or, as an alternative, you might get pseudoparasitosis and your chameleon is nit infested, just your vet (or whoever is doing the dg) can not separate the pseudoparasites from real parasites
And there are many options...

i stop specullate, If you really want tkmimvestigate the case, I am ready to do it without rudenness and find out the reason and help

I'm not sure if it was brought up in this thread or another, however someone was wanting to test parasites in said wild populations.

I'm not sure about the host comment, being with mosquitos and snails. Or the statement that parasites that are delicate.

Coccidia is known to survive for up to 2 years without a host. The host is not a mosquito, it's the Chameleon. Intermediate host of anything that makes fecal contact.

If coccidia can live in our cages for up to 2 years or more, which it is known to do. How can it not live in Florida in chameleon feces?

So if I live in Florida and keep my Chams outdoors I have no concern of Parasites? I do not need to clean the cage, or dispose of it after dealing with coccidia in the animal that resides in it?

I'm not sure, how you think these chameleons get where they are are? These are WC vieleds and Panthers being purchased in large quantities, and released in Florida areas to go back and take babies to sell.

It's called "Chameleon Ranching", it's illegal, but it's easy free breeding, with only profit. Folks that would do such a thing, do not care if the animal has a parasite, they buy WCs for a cheap price in case they are stolen.

I do not know, if chameleons can pass Coccidia to their eggs, however that could further the spread? Surely it's possible even if the Coccidia lives on the egg pre hatched.
I do not want to discuss with you cyberloc as you again twist my words, say what I have nit said and try again to put completely different contexts that I did not refer to

i am sorry if you no not know that cryptosporidians areco ciduas and what us heteroxenous parasite
I commented on it appropriately

Contrary to the presented belief, parasites are very delicar and not too adaptive creatures
There are some exceptions such as eg Some oxyurids or cryptosporidians. Now, both show a rather low pthogenity in chameleons...
What about lungworm? We are warned to be careful with wildcaught insects (snails especially) for their potential to transmit it. Genuine question. We hear so much about parasites transmitted by snails, wild flies, dragonflies, etc. which is it? Can they transmit parasites or not?

Also, how are wild populations parasite free, when they were populated by reptiles potentially already infected/infested? What about other species’ parasites? Florida, Texas, and Hawaii have loads of wild reptiles. If Coccidia can be transmitted to chams from beardies, cannot it not be transmitted via other reptiles?

These are honest questions, not trying to be argumentative.
lungworms which you are vincerned of are those f mammals and need a snail or slug as intermediate host
There is no evidence they are transferable to chameleons, i doubt it heavily

Some voccidias can be stransfered by almost anytjing through dust: including human hands
So, srict hygiene and sanitizing hands after handling each chameleon is the orecaution but not 100% reliable one

all IMHO

I do not want to discuss with you cyberloc as you again twist my words, say what I have nit said and try again to put completely different contexts that I did not refer to

i am sorry if you no not know that cryptosporidians areco ciduas and what us heteroxenous parasite
I commented on it appropriately

Contrary to the presented belief, parasites are very delicar and not too adaptive creatures
There are some exceptions such as eg Some oxyurids or cryptosporidians. Now, both show a rather low pthogenity in chameleons...

lungworms which you are vincerned of are those f mammals and need a snail or slug as intermediate host
There is no evidence they are transferable to chameleons, i doubt it heavily

Some voccidias can be stransfered by almost anytjing through dust: including human hands
So, srict hygiene and sanitizing hands after handling each chameleon is the orecaution but not 100% reliable one

all IMHO

Those were questions, hints the question marks. I'm not twisting anything, I was asking questions.

I was presenting different thoughts with your opinions being requested.

The most worrisome parasite in the hobby is Coccidia. That is of the upmost concern.

Are you saying you do not feel it is present in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom